News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Melvyn Morrow

Wayne, I hope you change your mind and stay.

I, for one will miss your input, your kindness and warm heart on GCA.com. You never failed to add to a debate, to expand the subject giving all of us encouragement and enjoyment. You will indeed be missed, leaving this site the poorer.

It is with great sadness that I have not been able to persuade you to stay.

No one should take pleasure in this news as all of us have failed and it does not reflect well on the members of GCA.com

PCCraig

Re: Wayne Morrison departure from GCA.com reflects badly on all of us
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2008, 12:11:26 PM »
What happened?

I never directly spoke to him, but Wayne was/is a great source of Info.
H.P.S.

Kirk Gill

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2008, 12:13:20 PM »
I, for one will miss your input, your kindness and warm heart on GCA.com. You never failed to add to a debate, to expand the subject giving all of us encouragement and enjoyment. You will indeed be missed, leaving this site the poorer.

Mr. Morrow, I heartily agree with your sentiments.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 12:43:57 PM by Kirk Gill »
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

John_Conley

« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2008, 12:15:45 PM »
Mr. Morrow, I heartily agree with your sentiments.

I don't.  Does he mean that Wayne's departure reflects poorly on the group of which there are 1500 or so members?  I agree with that.

I don't see where Wayne's departure reflects poorly on all 1500.  In fact, I'm sure most have nothing to do with it.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2008, 12:16:53 PM »
Wayne, I hope you change your mind and stay.

It is with great sadness that I have not been able to persuade you to stay.

No one should take pleasure in this news as all of us have failed and it does not reflect well on the members of GCA.com

Melvyn:
When did this happen? :( :'( ;)  Wayne cannot leave without the permission of Ed Baker and myself.  ;D ;)
I sincerely hope it wasn't over that Merion thread which had gotten so out of hand that I checked out of it after several days.
Wayne come back we need you.
Best
Dave

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2008, 12:18:02 PM »
And while I respect Melvyn very much, and find Kirk Gill to be a sage for our times....

I respectfully disagree.

Long-timers here will concur in this:  people come, people go.  It's always been that way.  Heck two of the principles in the Merion threads had left and came back.

Now I will agree that the contentiousness of those threads has been nothing but awful.  And it would be a shame if we lose the contributions of Wayne over this.

But as a reflection on the site as a whole?

That's taking it too far.  People come, people go.  Nastiness happens.  People decide to leave.  Most come back, some never do.  Always has been this way, always will be. It's the nature of internet discussion.

TH

Dave_Miller

« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2008, 12:20:16 PM »
And while I respect Melvyn very much, and find Kirk Gill to be a sage for our times....

I respectfully disagree.

Long-timers here will concur in this:  people come, people go.  It's always been that way.  Heck two of the principles in the Merion threads had left and came back.

Now I will agree that the contentiousness of those threads has been nothing but awful.  And it would be a shame if we lose the contributions of Wayne over this.

That's taking it too far.  People come, people go.  Nastiness happens.  People decide to leave.  Most come back, some never do.  Always has been this way, always will be. It's the nature of internet discussion.

TH

Ah!! Once again Professor Huckster provides sage wisdom.  However let's bring Wayne back.
Best
Dave

Kalen Braley

« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2008, 12:20:32 PM »

I respectfully disagree.

TH

I agree 100% with Tom and will add this.

Many in here including myself urged on several occasions to let it go, take a break, and then come back.  But many of the principles in those Merion threads wouldn't let it go and it has apparently come to this.

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2008, 12:21:07 PM »
Pat

I refer you to the Topic Re: Revisionism  
Reply #265 on: Today at 07:30:56 am

Kirk

IMHO it reflects badly on all of us -  ALL  - Sorry you don't agree

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2008, 12:23:28 PM »
Melvyn:

Hang around awhile longer and you'll see this cycle repeat many times.

As I say, it's the nature of internet discussion.

But Dave Miller is right also - it of course would be far better if we do not lose Wayne.

But as heartless as this sounds, well...

No one person makes or breaks this discussion group.

TH

TEPaul

« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2008, 12:24:22 PM »
"No one should take pleasure in this news as all of us have failed and it does not reflect well on the members of GCA.com."

No, no one should take pleasure in this and I doubt anyone does although I would certainly not want to guarantee that.

There may not be another member of this website who is a member of one of the top courses in the world who was as generous with others with his time, his club (hosting guest play) and with his willingness to do footwork and disseminate information to others on his club and course and other courses (Flynn's) he may be more architecturally familar with than most anyone else.

Wayne put his concerns on a thread or two and it didn't look to him like many cared or wanted to deal with what was really on his mind and what concerned him.

Frankly, I don't know that this website is even capable of dealing with what concerned him but I'm an optimist and I think they should at least try to.

BVince

« Reply #11 on: June 17, 2008, 12:25:34 PM »
Wayne, stick around....hopefully you are still lurking around to see these post.
If profanity had an influence on the flight of the ball, the game of golf would be played far better than it is. - Horace Hutchinson

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #12 on: June 17, 2008, 12:27:45 PM »
It's too bad, he was such a fan of Raynor and Banks' work.  ;D

"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

John Mayhugh

« Reply #13 on: June 17, 2008, 12:30:25 PM »
I don't agree with Melvyn's statement.  What Wayne Morrison chooses (or chose) should reflect on him. 

This is a golf club architecture discussion board.  If you cannot stand it when people don't agree with you, you shouldn't participate.  You also shouldn't participate if you cannot understand or accept that many of us aren't taking sides at all.  The only reason that this Merion debate became so acrimonious is because a very few participants can't play nice with each other.  How does that reflect poorly on me, the moderators, or anyone else?  My god we're grown men (and women) and people just want to take their ball and go home??

I think Ran's policy going forward should be that anytime someone asks to have their membership removed that this happens immediately and irrevocably.  That might eliminate some of the cries for attention that happen all too frequently.  For what it's worth, I think the site is better off to have Wayne Morrison participating, but not if he requires some sort of special consideration or treatment.

For those who stay, it's easy to participate on a discussion board.  When someone disagrees with you on the site, take comfort from the words of Hubert Humphrey:
"The right to be heard does not automatically include the right to be taken seriously."
« Last Edit: June 17, 2008, 12:43:22 PM by John Mayhugh »

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2008, 12:33:30 PM »

Tom

You may be right Tom but there are times when certain
Guys will be missed and Wayne is one. A serious loss to
GCA.com.

Bart Bradley

« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2008, 12:34:13 PM »
"No one should take pleasure in this news as all of us have failed and it does not reflect well on the members of GCA.com."

No, no one should take pleasure in this and I doubt anyone does although I would certainly not want to guarantee that.

There may not be another member of this website who is a member of one of the top courses in the world who was as generous with others with his time, his club (hosting guest play) and with his willingness to do footwork and disseminate information to others on his club and course and other courses (Flynn's) he may be more architecturally familar with than most anyone else.

Wayne put his concerns on a thread or two and it didn't look to him like many cared or wanted to deal with what was really on his mind and what concerned him.

Frankly, I don't know that this website is even capable of dealing with what concerned him but I'm an optimist and I think they should at least try to.

Tom:

This is cryptic...what is it that we could or could not do?

I'm with the majority of people on this issue.  I am sorry to see Wayne go...I am confident that I am not responsible for his leaving...and it casts no reflection on me.

Best of luck Wayne.

Bart

Jordan Wall

« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2008, 12:35:50 PM »
I'm not going to judge Mr. Morrison's departure (or not), but my feelings are that I have always enjoyed reading his posts and certainly will miss them if he decides to leave.  He has always been a great contributor to the site, and his posts would be well missed.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2008, 12:36:25 PM »

Tom

You may be right Tom but there are times when certain
Guys will be missed and Wayne is one. A serious loss to
GCA.com.

Melvyn:

I do not disagree that Wayne will be missed.

My point remains that many have been missed before and many will be missed again.  This is no watershed moment in the history of this forum, nor any reflection on the general merits or demerits of the place.

And I say this with great respect for Wayne personally.  But you know, John Mayhugh makes some solid points also.

TH

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2008, 12:40:20 PM »
On the one hand Tom H (the sanest man on television) puts it well; on the other, TE notes something very important.

I've said many times before how grateful I am for the generosity of posters like Wayne (and TE, amongst about a dozen others) in sharing with me their knowledge and experience.

And generosity is the only word I have for it; cut it any way you want, but when someone gives of what they have to someone who can't give them anything in return, that's generosity. 

In the daily back and forths of this site and some of the arguments here, I just thought it was worth mentioning and remembering this.

Peter

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2008, 12:42:52 PM »
Peter:

As I say, I have nothing but respect for Wayne.

If he does leave, that is a great loss.

It's just far too broad of a statement to say this reflects badly on all of us, that's all.

TH

Kirk Gill

« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2008, 12:45:44 PM »
Tom - a sage for our times?

Geezle Peezle.

That said, I edited my post to reflect more accurately my specific feelings in response to Mr. Morrow's thread.
"After all, we're not communists."
                             -Don Barzini

Melvyn Morrow

« Reply #21 on: June 17, 2008, 12:58:25 PM »
Tom

You made your point you don’t agree with My Statement  - that’s your right

Any further discussion on Merion or subject Wayne has knowledge of will not be fully balanced  - so it reflects badly on all of us because it may not be a fully informative debate. Or let me put it this way if a Team has a player missing it reflects badly for the rest of the team and their supporters.

Sorry Wayne, I was trying to show you some respect, consideration and my own sincere wish for you to stay.

George Pazin

« Reply #22 on: June 17, 2008, 01:01:55 PM »
I honestly don't know how to handle situations like this.

I don't think anyone's departure reflects poorly on the group. That's not even remotely fair to all of us who don't even look in on the threads in question. Even for those who do, I don't think it's really up to any of us to attempt to police the site, drum out offenders, whatever. We are all adults here and should know how to resolve arguments amicably, or at least to the satisfaction of those involved.

It is a big loss when anyone leaves, especially so in the case of someone like Wayne, a deep thinker about golf, gca and, as Tom P says, one of the most generous members of the site. I really only know Wayne through the site, yet I'm proud to call him a friend, and I hope he feels the same.

I can only hope that when someone chooses to leave, he takes some time to reflect and realize there are still a lot of good, solid people out there who are the ones losing out when someone else leaves.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

John_Conley

« Reply #23 on: June 17, 2008, 01:03:00 PM »

Sorry Wayne, I was trying to show you some respect, consideration and my own sincere wish for you to stay.

Melvyn, I don't think you'll find many of 'us' want Wayne to leave.  I haven't read any of the Merion thread so I'm not sure who said what about whom.  His departure doesn't reflect well on the group, but you hopefully see that several take exception that it reflects on us as individuals.

Tom Birkert

« Reply #24 on: June 17, 2008, 01:07:46 PM »
I'm shocked and disappointed.

I recently had the pleasure of playing with Wayne and we had a most enjoyable round. His passion and knowledge shone through, and for someone like me who is young and still reading and learning about golf course architecture it was an invaluable experience.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back