News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jon Wiggett

Re: Longest Par 3 Early in the Round
« Reply #50 on: September 27, 2017, 02:11:11 PM »

Not sure it has been mentioned but there is a course on the Open rota which sets off with its longest par 3.

Jon

James Brown

« Reply #51 on: September 27, 2017, 07:46:39 PM »
Walton Heath Old is brutal.

Thomas Dai

« Reply #52 on: September 28, 2017, 03:17:00 AM »
The 1st at Berkshire (Blue)?
atb

PS - good points made by Adrian above in relation to tee timings, ££ etc.
« Last Edit: September 28, 2017, 03:27:15 AM by Thomas Dai »

Sean_A

« Reply #53 on: September 28, 2017, 06:35:27 AM »

I would argue that along with #8, this is the worst hole on the course and it doesn't set the 18 up well.  There are long term plans to scrap this hole and move the house across the street, which makes sense.  I don't know what this means in terms of the routing for either course, but the idea is for the house to be left of the 16 Old tee. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Carl Nichols

« Reply #54 on: September 28, 2017, 01:05:48 PM »
I think the 2nd hole at Congressional is around 235 yards or so.

I think that's from a tee that isn't included on the scorecard. 

James Brown

« Reply #55 on: September 29, 2017, 08:28:58 PM »

I would argue that along with #8, this is the worst hole on the course and it doesn't set the 18 up well.  There are long term plans to scrap this hole and move the house across the street, which makes sense.  I don't know what this means in terms of the routing for either course, but the idea is for the house to be left of the 16 Old tee. 

Ciao

I would agree.  It's a very awkward hole.  Has it always been #1?  Seems totally out of place.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #56 on: September 29, 2017, 08:57:42 PM »
The second hole at Stanley Thompson designed Sleepy Hollow (near Cleveland, OH) is a 235 yard par 3 with a very narrow green. It plays 220 from the regular tees. The front portion of the green has some pretty significant slope to add to the challenge.

One that I don't think has been mentioned yet is Jasper ... that fourth hole was a driver for me.

No one has mentioned any of my courses yet; I've never thought about this as a topic.  Off the top of my head:

5th at Black Forest is the first short hole there, and one of the longest I've ever built.
4th at Beechtree was a long 3, but the 2nd hole was also a par-3.
2nd at Stonewall (North) is the longest-playing par-3 [not sure about the card], and certainly the hardest.
4th at Sebonack is the longest of the par-3's.
2nd at Aetna Springs is quite long, even though it only has one competitor.

But that's only five out of my 35 courses, and none of the most highly-ranked ones.  So I guess I don't think this theory is anywhere near a requirement.

P.S.  The 1st at Walton Heath was a short par-4 when I first saw it.  The tee was behind the road that comes off the highway to enter the club, where there is just a practice green now.  That was really dangerous, so that tee was abandoned a few years ago, and the hole switched to a par-3.  I think they maybe always played it as a par-3 in tournaments because of the road issue.

Don Jordan

« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2017, 10:30:32 PM »
The 1st at Western Australia Golf Club is 210m with water left, bunkers both sides and a three tier green. It is a beast of a start

https://www.wagolfclub.com.au/cms/hole-1/

jeffwarne

« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2017, 11:27:08 PM »
Shennecossett's 4th hole is their longest par three at 208 yds and comes first in the round. Playing to a ridiculously tough "volcano" green this is one hard hole and affectionately known as the "Anthill".

Great hole Tim!! Parred it day 2 from the left bunker to a left pin-could've made anything...

#1 West Cornwall is about 220 ish

"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Ted Sirbaugh

« Reply #59 on: September 30, 2017, 10:42:45 AM »
The second hole at Stanley Thompson designed Sleepy Hollow (near Cleveland, OH) is a 235 yard par 3 with a very narrow green. It plays 220 from the regular tees. The front portion of the green has some pretty significant slope to add to the challenge.

One that I don't think has been mentioned yet is Jasper ... that fourth hole was a driver for me.

No one has mentioned any of my courses yet; I've never thought about this as a topic.  Off the top of my head:

5th at Black Forest is the first short hole there, and one of the longest I've ever built.
4th at Beechtree was a long 3, but the 2nd hole was also a par-3.
2nd at Stonewall (North) is the longest-playing par-3 [not sure about the card], and certainly the hardest.
4th at Sebonack is the longest of the par-3's.
2nd at Aetna Springs is quite long, even though it only has one competitor.

But that's only five out of my 35 courses, and none of the most highly-ranked ones.  So I guess I don't think this theory is anywhere near a requirement.

P.S.  The 1st at Walton Heath was a short par-4 when I first saw it.  The tee was behind the road that comes off the highway to enter the club, where there is just a practice green now.  That was really dangerous, so that tee was abandoned a few years ago, and the hole switched to a par-3.  I think they maybe always played it as a par-3 in tournaments because of the road issue.

Also the 5th at Dismal Red.. the second par-3 in the round, but it is certainly the longest of your par-3s that I've played

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back