News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Thomas MacWood

Philadelphia 1922
« on: June 11, 2008, 09:39:27 PM »
What were the best golf courses in Greater Philadelphia in 1922?

Geoffrey_Walsh

Re: Philadelphia 1922
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2008, 09:58:23 PM »
I would guess Merion, Aronomink, Philly Cricket, Pine Valley, Atlantic City and Cobb's Creek

TEPaul

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2008, 10:00:15 PM »
We generally call it the Delaware Valley so we can include Pine Valley in New Jersey. ;0

How many are you looking for----2, 4, 6, 10?

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #3 on: June 11, 2008, 10:02:48 PM »
Yes include PV. Ten or more.

TEPaul

« Reply #4 on: June 11, 2008, 10:07:04 PM »
Geoffrey:

You know in 1922 with Aronimink you'd be talking about the old course not the present one. Sort of odd for me to say it because others seem to admire it more than perhaps I do but I think in 1922 I'd have to include Ross' Gulph Mills. There's a sort of odd fact about it---when it opened it was actually longer than it is today and probably one of the longest around at over 6,700 yards. That must have been pretty challenging for that early era. Not to even mention that the 18th hole in 1917 was listed as a par 4 at the same yardage it played as a par 5 for about the next 75 years.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2008, 10:09:21 PM »
Best is subjective. I would think that Merion, The Philly Cricket Club course (not the club) and Pine Valley were the new money clubs and that Overbrook, Sunnybrook and Gulph Mills (all Ross I think)were up there. However with Walter Travis as a US Amateur Champion in 1901 did anything touch the Willie Park Atlantic City CC?

PS. Forgot Whitemarsh.
« Last Edit: June 11, 2008, 10:15:51 PM by Mike Sweeney »

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2008, 10:10:15 PM »
Tom,

You got to it first, but I wanted to thank geoffrey for recognizing Tilly's Aronomink!  ;D

Kyle Harris

« Reply #7 on: June 11, 2008, 10:13:47 PM »
Merion East
Merion West
Gulph Mills
Huntingdon Valley Noble Course
Pine Valley
Whitemarsh Valley
Torresdale-Frankford
Llanerch CC
Cobb's Creek
Lulu

Kyle Harris

« Reply #8 on: June 11, 2008, 10:14:19 PM »
Best is subjective. I would think that Merion, The Philly Cricket Club course (not the club) and Pine Valley were the new money clubs and that Overbrook, Sunnybrook and Gulph Mills (all Ross I think)were up there. However with Walter Travis as a US Amateur Champion in 1901 did anything touch the Willie Park Atlantic City CC?

Isn't the Willie Park ACCC actually today's Greate Bay?

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #9 on: June 11, 2008, 10:15:07 PM »
1. Merion (East)
2. Merion (West)
3. Aronimink
4. Philadelphia Cricket
5. Pine Valley
6. Atlantic City CC
7. Cobb's Creek
8. Huntingdon Valley
9. Philadelphia CC
10. Lancaster

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #10 on: June 11, 2008, 10:19:01 PM »
Geoffrey:

You know in 1922 with Aronimink you'd be talking about the old course not the present one. Sort of odd for me to say it because others seem to admire it more than perhaps I do but I think in 1922 I'd have to include Ross' Gulph Mills. There's a sort of odd fact about it---when it opened it was actually longer than it is today and probably one of the longest around at over 6,700 yards. That must have been pretty challenging for that early era. Not to even mention that the 18th hole in 1917 was listed as a par 4 at the same yardage it played as a par 5 for about the next 75 years.

I know it was the old course at Aronomink for two reasons... the Library Company of Philadelphia mislabled an aerial and gave me a photo of the old course at Aronimink instead of Cobb's when I went there.  Second, after Stout and Ball were DQ'd and then reinstated by the judge the paper suggested they might try and replay the 1928 Publnks at the old Aronimink course!

Let's substitute out Atlantic City and slot in Gulph Mills.  Atlantic City is a bit far for the Philadelphia area.

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #11 on: June 11, 2008, 10:19:43 PM »

Isn't the Willie Park ACCC actually today's Greate Bay?

I don't think so:

http://www.greatebay.com/course.html

TEPaul

« Reply #12 on: June 11, 2008, 10:24:54 PM »
MikeS:

I believe the 1901 Atlantic City course was designed by the peripatetic pro John Reid not Park. Park's contribution I believe was later, and that was followed by Flynn.

Lester George

« Reply #13 on: June 11, 2008, 10:31:21 PM »
Ross's original course at DuPont was very strong.  Not many people knew about it.

Lester

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #14 on: June 11, 2008, 10:55:05 PM »
The original Philmont course(South) by Reed opened in 1907 and Ashbourne by Meehan opened in 1921. I don't know where they would fit in here. When did Tillinghast's NLE Cedarbrook open?

"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson
Hyman Roth to Michael Corleone: "We're bigger than US Steel."
Ben Hogan “The most important shot in golf is the next one”

David Stamm

« Reply #15 on: June 11, 2008, 11:09:44 PM »
Pine Valley would be the front-runner, I would assume. I'm sure after learning all the info digged up that Cobbs Creek was considered one of the best. Off the top my head I can't remember time lines on Flynn's body of work, so I'm not sure there. Of course, Merion was well respected. Others I would guess:

Gulph Mills
Sunnybrook
Whitemarsh Valley
Bala

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #16 on: June 11, 2008, 11:14:00 PM »
Does anyone know what courses hosted the major GAP events in 1922 or just prior?

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #17 on: June 11, 2008, 11:19:28 PM »
Answering my own question, the Tillinghast Cedarbrook course opened in 1921.

From the club history a gapgolf.org

Today’s Cedarbrook Country Club is a direct outgrowth of Stenton Country Club, which was founded in 1909 and played its golf on leased ground near Stenton Avenue and Washington Lane in the Chestnut Hill section of the city. But within ten years this land had grown substantially in value. Unable to renew its lease, the club examined a number of sites in North Philadelphia, and in 1919 purchased a tract known then as Cedarbrook Farm. It was bounded by Cheltenham Avenue, Easton Road, and Limekiln Turnpike.
The Stenton members who led the move north were George M. Bridgeman, W.G. McKechney, John E. Wick, Al Pierce, Porter Paine, and A. Raymond Raff. A decision was made to rename the organization Cedarbrook Country Club. Michael Hanson was elected president. He was succeeded by George Bridgeman.
A.W. Tillinghast was commissioned to lay out the course. Though most of the designs for which he would become celebrated were still several years in the future, he had already fashioned two of his best, the eighteens at San Francisco Golf Club and at Somerset Hills, in northern New Jersey. While the 45-year- old Tillinghast was bringing his talents to bear here on gently rolling land that had been used chiefly for grazing cattle, the members, whose lease had expired at the Stenton Avenue course in late summer of 1920, were temporarily playing their golf over at Sandy Run, thanks to a special arrangement with that hospitable club.
On the 4th of July, 1921, the course and clubhouse in Cheltenham Township were formally opened. J. Hampton Moore, Mayor of Philadelphia, personally raised the club emblem to the top of the flagpole and, in a brief address, predicted a long and prosperous life for Cedarbrook. He did not guarantee that the club would stay put.
"Some of us worship in churches, some in synagogues, some on golf courses ... "  Adlai Stevenson

Joe Bausch

« Reply #18 on: June 12, 2008, 02:59:22 AM »
Does anyone know what courses hosted the major GAP events in 1922 or just prior?

1922:

GAP amateur championship, June 7-10 at Pine Valley
junior championship, June 26-28, Torresdale
open championship, July 20, 21, Merion
father and son tourney, Sept 6, Whitemarsh
seniors tournament, Sept 12, Old York Road
a couple of spring tournaments:  CC of AC, Bala
some other invitational tourneys:  Green Valley, A'mink, Philmont, Huntington Valley, Philly Cricket, LuLu, Whitemarsh.

1921:

GAP amateur championship, Whitemarsh
open championship:  I think it was originally scheduled for PV but I think it ended up at Whitemarsh; this one I'm not quite sure of yet.
junior championship, Philmont
seniors tournament, Old York Road
father and son, Aronimink
dinner tournament, Merion
Pennsylvania open and amateur championships, both at Merion

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Mike Sweeney

« Reply #19 on: June 12, 2008, 06:02:31 AM »
Was Bala always a short course or did it start out longer and the neighborhood grew around it?

Thomas MacWood

« Reply #20 on: June 12, 2008, 06:33:22 AM »
I've tried to list out all the courses mentioned. Did I miss any?

Merion East
Merion West
Gulph Mills
Huntingdon Valley
Pine Valley
Whitemarsh Valley
Torresdale-Frankford
Llanerch CC
Cobb's Creek
Lulu
Sunnybrook
Old York Road
CC of Atlantic City
Cedarbrook
Philmont
Bala
Philadelphia Cricket
DuPont
Overbrook
Seaview
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 06:51:58 AM by Tom MacWood »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #21 on: June 12, 2008, 06:42:13 AM »
Seaview

I'll send mine in later...gotta get ready for work.

Also, Green Valley didn't exist in 1922.

Steve's correct that Cedarbrook was a biggie for a number of years, but probably not what TM's looking for here.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 06:49:47 AM by MikeCirba »

Geoffrey_Walsh

« Reply #22 on: June 12, 2008, 08:36:43 AM »
I've tried to list out all the courses mentioned. Did I miss any?

Merion East
Merion West
Gulph Mills
Huntingdon Valley
Pine Valley
Whitemarsh Valley
Torresdale-Frankford
Llanerch CC
Cobb's Creek
Lulu
Sunnybrook
Old York Road
CC of Atlantic City
Cedarbrook
Philmont
Bala
Philadelphia Cricket
DuPont
Overbrook
Seaview

I also included Lancaster and Philadelphia CC

Steve_ Shaffer

« Reply #23 on: June 12, 2008, 08:48:09 AM »
 Ashbourne and North Hills  were open before 1922.

Cabell Ackerly

« Reply #24 on: June 12, 2008, 09:25:56 AM »
I think Philadelphia CC only had nine holes until 1927. The club didn't buy the land for Flynn's Spring Mill course until 1926.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back