News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: Help settle an important design issue
« Reply #25 on: June 11, 2008, 08:15:54 PM »
... If you make the middle tee somewhere around 275 from the white tees I would guess that 90% of the players would go for the green from the tee.

90% of the players can't hit it past 230 regularly.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

David_Elvins

« Reply #26 on: June 11, 2008, 08:31:01 PM »
Tony,

First off, thanks for providing such in interesting interactive thread. 

My opinion is that a 26 wide by 36 deep landing area is just too small.  The shot from this area over the gorge is bound to be a good looking shot but in my opinion, too few players will get to play it. 

Also, it is hard to tell from the photos but the tee shot looks awkward hitting towards the trees as a par 4. 
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Jim Thompson

« Reply #27 on: June 11, 2008, 10:34:49 PM »
Tony,

Given the choices I'd choose the par 4.

I think there is another option though.

Consider the following:

1- remove the tree

2-  cut in the green surface between 3- 4 feet with a frontal redan type feed leaving a rear roll / bounce plate of 3-4 feet

3-  take that cut and soften the ravine a bit, spread out the cut though

4- shelf a bunker into the ravine - redan type bunker

5- move back tee up to about 265 tothe rear of the green so its a fractional driver with the play being either a runner up the right or a rebound of the back plate.  You could even put a rear green slope in to enhance the roll back to the green.

2 cents

JT
6- adjust other tees accordingly.
Jim Thompson

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #28 on: June 11, 2008, 11:54:21 PM »
Par4, leave the tree
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tony Ristola

« Reply #29 on: June 12, 2008, 12:04:26 AM »
Tony:

I'm not exactly sure why but whenever I ran into a decision with something like you've described there, as I understand it, my instinct has always told to me to go with a par 3. I think the reason why might be because a par 3 seems to maximize that neat feature more.

But how about what comes before the choice and after it? How is that affected by either choice?
Sandwiched between a reachable par-5 and downhill par-3 about 210 yards.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #30 on: June 12, 2008, 12:06:08 AM »
Build both of them and evaluate after some play.
We plan to. The par-3 tee has been roughed in. Must wait for work to be comepleted before we can get to the par-4 tees.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #31 on: June 12, 2008, 12:06:43 AM »
Look forward to the replies... see you in several hours.

I would remind you that the replies you get here are not from the average golfer.

Regards,

The average golfer ;)

Was going to ask everyone to post their handicap.
Would you?

Tony Ristola

« Reply #32 on: June 12, 2008, 12:09:13 AM »
I'm in the loose the tree camp, make it a short par 4, and replace the tree with  bunker incorporated with as moderate of a turfed area in the ravine as as practically possible. 

Forgive me if I didn't catch it, but did you describe if there is another 180-200 yards backwards from the tee to make a short par 5, with a go, no-go LZ, sans tree? 

The tree is only there until the next lightening bold, disease or wind allows it.  If you build a strategy around it, it is not a long term wise decision, IMHO.
No chance for a par-5.
The walk is forward to the par-3 tee.
If we loose the tree, a bunker would go left... in the bank.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #33 on: June 12, 2008, 12:11:27 AM »
The tree is only there until the next lightening bold, disease or wind allows it.  If you build a strategy around it, it is not a long term wise decision, IMHO.

Yes, but the bunker is only there until about the 3rd Green Committee Chairperson.
 ;)
LOL.
It's going to be run by dictatorship.
We'll have a book documenting the course in its original state and guidelines for maintenance for the time the dictatorship turns into mobocracy.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #34 on: June 12, 2008, 12:14:01 AM »
with a forward tee and a 280-310 yard carry AND a penalty of only a half of a shot from the ravine i am trying to drive it on the green in any condition but a direct headwind. 

i can't carry the ball that far of course, but with only a half shot penalty form the long grass in the ravine i will take my chances from 50 yards.

i usually lose my gamble, but that is what makes short par 4s so much fun.

If you make it through the 26-yard wide gap that is.
If you make it to the bottom of the ravine that is.
I don't know about it being a half shot. For what caliber of golfer? 20-foot bank... sand, light rough... scrub.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #35 on: June 12, 2008, 12:15:10 AM »

Can you show a routing plan?
Cheers
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #36 on: June 12, 2008, 12:19:40 AM »
I like Chips suggestion about making it a driveable par 4.  I also really like the idea of creaitng the par 3 as well so that it could be a push (19th) hole for tournaments.  If you make the middle tee somewhere around 275 from the white tees I would guess that 90% of the players would go for the green from the tee.

Replacing a tree is no big deal if this one lone pine dies.  I have a friend that does it all the time for private and resort courses.  When a 40' gets nailed by lightning he removes the old one and replaces it with a new one 40' tall only prettier in shape. 

Short par 4's are some of the best holes you can have on a golf course so have a collection of a couple of them will make your course really fun to play.
I like short 4's as well; we have 4 short 4's.
This is country where you just can't dial up a 40' tree.
90%? The average golfer doesn't hit it more than 220 yards. That would get them to the end of the landing area if they manage to hit it straight.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #37 on: June 12, 2008, 12:20:41 AM »
Tony,

My opinion is that a 26 wide by 36 deep landing area is just too small.  The shot from this area over the gorge is bound to be a good looking shot but in my opinion, too few players will get to play it. 

Also, it is hard to tell from the photos but the tee shot looks awkward hitting towards the trees as a par 4. 

Tony Ristola

« Reply #38 on: June 12, 2008, 12:23:15 AM »
Tony,

Cheers.
It's a nice group of Linden (left), with a couple firs, pines, and birches (right).
On Saturday of Sunday I'll close the thread with my thoughts.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #39 on: June 12, 2008, 12:30:24 AM »
Tony,

Given the choices I'd choose the par 4.

I think there is another option though.

Consider the following:

1- remove the tree

2-  cut in the green surface between 3- 4 feet with a frontal redan type feed leaving a rear roll / bounce plate of 3-4 feet

3-  take that cut and soften the ravine a bit, spread out the cut though

4- shelf a bunker into the ravine - redan type bunker

5- move back tee up to about 265 tothe rear of the green so its a fractional driver with the play being either a runner up the right or a rebound of the back plate.  You could even put a rear green slope in to enhance the roll back to the green.

2 cents

JT
6- adjust other tees accordingly.
First... thanks everyone... from the sparse info and doing this from photos... not easy.

Jim:
1. No room for a reverse Redan. Green is shaped.
2. We're happy with the green.
3. You can work the ball from the center of the green to the right using the contour cutting through the center of the green. That is more critical from the par-3 than par-4.
4. Softening the ravine isn't an option. We'd lose greensite or fairway, or both.
5. Rear green backstop would be tough with the sparse trees beyond, and would look artificial (I know... the job would be to disguise it, but with the trees beyond... fat chance.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #40 on: June 12, 2008, 12:34:06 AM »

Can you show a routing plan?
Cheers
Here is a rough sketch...
The tee is actually further back... didn't measure it... but you get the idea.
« Last Edit: June 12, 2008, 12:36:15 AM by Tony Ristola »

Matt MacIver

« Reply #41 on: June 12, 2008, 08:44:59 AM »
If that plan is generally to scale, there is no way my 18 HC could land a shot in that area, so I'd either lay-up short of the first scrub (boring tee shot and long {really long?} second, or try to drive the green and take my 6 that way. 

Garland Bayley

« Reply #42 on: June 12, 2008, 11:06:33 AM »
Look forward to the replies... see you in several hours.

I would remind you that the replies you get here are not from the average golfer.

Regards,

The average golfer ;)

Was going to ask everyone to post their handicap.
Would you?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tony Ristola

« Reply #43 on: June 12, 2008, 01:59:42 PM »
If that plan is generally to scale, there is no way my 18 HC could land a shot in that area, so I'd either lay-up short of the first scrub (boring tee shot and long {really long?} second, or try to drive the green and take my 6 that way. 

Yeah, pretty much to scale.

David_Elvins

« Reply #44 on: June 12, 2008, 06:53:27 PM »
Tony,

How important are those trees to you?   The more I look at them, the more they ruin the hole as a par 4 for me. 

Would it be possible to remove the trees on the left and move the par 4 tee slighty left, creating more of a diagonal carry over the ridge?  Even if you kept the current teeand had a 50 yard wide fairway that extended down the hill on the left, it would be cool for me as the player who could hit the small area on top of the hill would have the easiest shot in but the one who missed left would still have some shot.   Of course this might not fit in with the course.

Even removing some of the tees on the right and making a bigger bail out area would be good to me.
Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tony Ristola

« Reply #45 on: June 13, 2008, 12:46:31 AM »
Tony,

How important are those trees to you?   The more I look at them, the more they ruin the hole as a par 4 for me. 

Would it be possible to remove the trees on the left and move the par 4 tee slighty left, creating more of a diagonal carry over the ridge?  Even if you kept the current teeand had a 50 yard wide fairway that extended down the hill on the left, it would be cool for me as the player who could hit the small area on top of the hill would have the easiest shot in but the one who missed left would still have some shot.   Of course this might not fit in with the course.

Even removing some of the tees on the right and making a bigger bail out area would be good to me.
Do agree about tree clearing 100%. Denuding virtually the entire area would be of benefit...

...But...

Only two more trees can come out (three if we count the pine... shaking for its life)... ugly firs... but they won't widen the gap, as there are pines behind. We are at the maximum of the cut. This was decided before my arrival. As Porky Pig says... "B'da, B'da, Bda... Th.. Th.. Th.. that's all folks" (as far as the cut goes). We can only hope for a vicious wind storm.

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #46 on: June 13, 2008, 05:07:14 AM »
In my opinion, the Par-3 looks a better hole... The Par-4 looks forced...

The extra walk is a big minus though and I could see the Par-4 working quite well if the left side of the landing area (and the dip before) was softened by taking out a lot of those trees... You're still going to end up with a lot of golfers in the gorge but if the ball is findable, why not?

Tony Ristola

« Reply #47 on: June 13, 2008, 12:38:25 PM »
What's interesting is how benign the gorge looks. I'll try to get a shot with someone at the base.

Tony Ristola

Re: Help settle an important design issue New
« Reply #48 on: June 16, 2008, 01:36:49 AM »
My thoughts:

The par-4.

1.   Fitting the shot into the gap is something the average golfer (who can’t break 100) cannot accomplish with regularity. Miss the tee shot some, and you’re laying-up or punching out… even if the gap is made a bit wider than the current 26 wide.

2.   If the axiom… “if you are going to lay-up, then lay-up” is honored, few will get their tee shot onto the plateau. I would never try… wouldn’t even entertain the thought as there is no advantage; it’s potential suicide. That means most golfers will have an uneventful lay-up for a tee shot.

3.   Unless you hit your shot on the plateau (36 deep… 26 wide), you won’t get a view of the Gorge.

I think the Gorge is the most dramatic vista on the course. Having it invisible on the approach… ?

Not everything has to be visible, but when Mother Nature gives you a gun, isn’t it wise to shoot it? When you have 500HP, isn’t it wise to use it? If you have 500HP moments galore… then restraint is wise.

Whistling Straits is somewhat repetitive with their par-3’s, but Dye used the full 500HP every time he could. At Teeth of the Dog he does the same. Pasatiempo’s 18th. Pebble’s 7th. Is this hole that dramatic? We don’t have the Pacific or Atlantic, or a lake the size of a sea, but we do have some abrupt elevation which fits the Tillinghast theory of using rough ground to bridge holes… and create drama.

4.   As one poster noted, the par-4 comes across as forced... as filler. Trying to fill the gap so as to get 18-holes, or worse… 18-holes to the tune of par-72.

5.   Women. As a par-4 the hole is virtually unplayable.

Even with the hole 220 yards long, it will be a drive for most, and a lay-up (see Point 1’s axiom). Then most will be faced with a mid-iron or fairway wood from a fairway lie. My bet is most will find the bank or bottom of the 20 foot canyon.

Facts about female golfers: The average women hits it about 110-yards… carry and roll, and their flight pattern is low and doesn’t have tremendous spin. Their average handicap in the US; 36.

The average 21-yeard old female has the physical strength of how old a man? Answer at the bottom of this post.

6.   Where is the strategy? The strategy is how far back do you want to lay it up. I find that boooooring. Perhaps I had an overdose of such holes having played a lot in Scandinavia and the Pacific NW and have yet to fully recover.

If the hole were narrow without the Gorge…  OK… you would have the chance of going for the green on the recovery, but with the Gorge it’s a punch-out. Not too exciting.

Without the Gorge I would say it’s a better hole, with the Gorge, vastly inferior. We cannot fill the Gorge or soften its banks.

7.   Using Mackenzie’s principle about playing a hole from tee to green with a putter? This hole fails that measurement.

Four fir trees have found their fate since the start of this thread, and though it makes the hole appear more roomy, nothing has changed fundamentally. The plateau is still the same small plateau and if you hit it left or right you’re punching for position. The gorge prevents a low recovery to the green. Trying a recovery through the trees, the ball would have the same fate as Wiley Coyote in all those Road Runner cartoons… ssssssssssssssssssssssplat at the bottom of the Gorge.

As a par-3 (65, 120-145, meters for the members; subtract 15 for the carry):

1.   You can tee the ball up; perfect lie.

2.   You know the exact distance. To carry from the ladies-forward tees, the hole can be as short as 60 meters; the carry… about 40 to 50. This is manageable, and provides a thrilling shot. It would put a medium to short iron into the hands of most ladies; a rarity for women to approach with such a club on any hole. For most male members, the shortest carry would be 105 meters.

3.   From where the tee is built and the photo taken, you get the best, most dramatic view. The edges of the canyons overlap one another, allowing you to look right into the mouth of the beast and see its base.

4.   Using Mackenzie’s principle about playing a hole from tee to green with a putter? This hole fails that measurement too, but at least golfers have a half-assed chance of getting to the green.

5.   Finishing the outward-9 with a par-3 doesn’t even enter the calculation. Nor does the walk. I’d rather play vastly superior holes and have a small trek on occasion, than a short walk and an inferior hole. Please note the words “on occasion”.

6.   This is a hole where the golfer can hit a memorable shot. It fits the Mackenzie theory of making holes look tougher than they really are.

ANOTHER OPTION:

It would be a better par-4 with the green on this side of the canyon, so:

1.   If someone went long, down the bank of the gorge behind the green, they could recover back to the green.

2.   You could hit a running shot though the trees to the (small) green.

3.   It would beg people to take a rip at the green… (and we could cut a bunker strategically in the slope of the 26 by 36 area).

4.   You would or could follow with the par-3 to the other side of the Gorge.

This exercise shows how tough it is to make the best design decisions from maps and photos. It’s always best to be out in the field.

I’d forgotten to note the hole plays into the prevailing wind.

I’d also neglected to say the land for the par-4 could be sold for housing as “A” lots. Parcels on a hilltop (think Riviera but not quite so high) overlooking 8 holes… generating some 7 figures in income. The course has a few holes with houses buffering… but not many; around the 2nd green, along the short 3rd, behind the 4th tees, behind 11 green, above 8 green (and to the right of 9 tees?). Forget the US standard of residential golf development... houses do not infect the site. It's a core course with some housing at a few if its fringes.

After posting the thread I thought… man… the par-4 looks super in photos. May look good from afar… but to me it is far from good. :)

Thanks very much to everyone who chimed in.

I’ve kept a daily blog about the project: http://sandvalleygolf.blogspot.com/

« Last Edit: June 16, 2008, 01:45:56 AM by Tony Ristola »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back