News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John Moore II

Re: Pace of Play on Golf Courses
« Reply #100 on: June 03, 2008, 09:48:40 PM »
Bill--good analogy about the restaurant.  I can say that I think that there are many golfers out there willing to play, but can't afford the time commitment of 6 or 7 hours on a Saturday, or any other day really. At this point, counting driving time, pre-start time, round time and all other things, that is the kind of time we are talking to play a round of golf.
--Cut a good bit of time out of the round and I think many people might come back to playing the game.

Bill_Yates

« Reply #101 on: June 03, 2008, 11:26:10 PM »
JKM,
I agree, and it can be done!
Bill Yates
www.pacemanager.com 
"When you manage the pace of play, you manage the quality of golf."

John Moore II

« Reply #102 on: June 03, 2008, 11:29:35 PM »
JKM,
I agree, and it can be done!

Ah yes, but how many people see it that way and are willing to do it?
To butcher Hamlet-To play slow, or not to play slow, That is the question.

DMoriarty

« Reply #103 on: June 04, 2008, 12:10:45 AM »
David,

I do select my lead groups to some degree and it does seem like the guys who like to tee off at 7:00 AM also like to play fast and enjoy the rest of the day.  My lead foursome almost always is done in 3:30.  My problem is my 8:30-9:00 groups and some of the guys are older.  My course is hilly and part of the "leniency" is due to not wanting to be too harsh. 

If I can keep everyone before 10:00 at 4:10 or better, I usually have a small break and and enough of a lull such that when the 12:00 gang comes with their game they too can easily play in 4:10.  I call it a good day if I do 150 rounds and the later groups all play within 4:20.

As you know, if you have group after group you inevitabley "lose" a little time with each successive group--akin to finishing laundry and losing one sock I guess!

I am pretty vigilant and our pre 10:00 groups do make a very good effort not to lose their times on the weekends.  Also posting of the tee sheet in the locker room is second only to the past due accounts list in terms of member interest and reading!  Nothing is better than having the members come in and (good naturedly but seriously) give a slow group the business about holding up the course and the posting has it up there in black and white.

I would think getting 150 rounds through in 4:20 or less would be considered a great day and commend you for your efforts.  I hope others reading see that it can be done. 

One of the problems I have with high speed ratings or tprojected times (4:10, 4:20, whatever) is that some people see them as license to hold other people up.  I am going at the recommended pace, so don't rush me!  Do you see this at your course?   
The group that plays behind my regular group on a weekend morning has gotten significantly faster over the years.  Have you noticed that the 8:30-9:00 groups have picked up the pace as others have?
Golf history can be quite interesting if you just let your favorite legends go and allow the truth to take you where it will.
--Tom MacWood (1958-2012)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back