News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

RJ_Daley

Re: Show me you playbook OR How to make to the end of the tunnel
« Reply #25 on: May 22, 2008, 02:33:31 PM »
Jim, it seems to me you want specific questions without defining (other than 'depression era') what the actual financial picture looks like.  Each course could be at a different place in a downward spiral, therefore the actions taken in your questions would all be variable to the specific financial picture of that course.  One course could be slightly down with a regional demographic and core golfer demographic vastly different (even in a depression) than another course. 

Every one of your questions has a sliding scale of responses and degrees of cut-backs that can't just be juxtaposed against a vague or nebulous set of problems that it is only referred to as a depression era.

"1. When would you start changing items that impact architecture, grassing types, mowing patterns, maint practices, etc?"

When one starts to not break even or start loosing money at an unaccpetable rate... When is that? 

"2.  To what extent would you tweak?  Consider bunkering, tees, greens, fairways, cart paths, carts, course supplies, amenities, and the like?"

To the extent that the budget VS revenue or sales can be brought back up with the extent required to make the difference to turn it around or hold on at even.  What extent is that? 

"3. When would you consider changing mowing heights, converting bent to blue or, in the case of the north letting bent go to poa?"

When the budget or balance sheet turns negative and enough to at least break even.  when is that?

"4. When would you go change fairway and tee dimensions?  Or even close selected tees?  Fill bunkers or more?  What would you replace them with?"     

When the balance sheet goes negative and needs to at least be brought even.  Do what it takes to get that done.   What will it take when?  How bad off are the numbers?

There just isn't a specific answer... I don't think.

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Mike_Young

« Reply #26 on: May 22, 2008, 03:31:11 PM »
If I was trying to make it to the light at the end of the tunnel....I would focus on greens...and would maintain the best triplexed green I could.  I would back off the raking of bunkers and would change my frequency of mowing on fairways and rough.....but greens would be my main focus.....the average golfer will move the ball in even the best fairway so he will continue but if greens become an issue he will be gone...
The interesting point I see here in the above discussions is how so many say the munis would be the "go back and play" courses.  I think what has been missed in the past 25 years and has really affected maintenance is fairway shaping....when courses were built with just tee and green shaping one could choose fairway widths etc much easier than when we started shaping fairways and defining how these areas would be maintained without giving the owner a choice...JMO
"just standing on a corner in Winslow Arizona"

George Pazin

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2008, 03:48:30 PM »
I think what has been missed in the past 25 years and has really affected maintenance is fairway shaping....when courses were built with just tee and green shaping one could choose fairway widths etc much easier than when we started shaping fairways and defining how these areas would be maintained without giving the owner a choice...JMO

Fantastic post, would make an excellent thread in and of itself.
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Brad Swanson

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 04:25:42 PM »
I agree with Mike Y regarding focusing on the greens.  The summer I worked on the  maintenance crew of the prestigious Ottumwa Municipal Golf Course back in high school, we had a very, very dry summer.  The course only had irrigation for the tees and greens (the only thing OMGC had in common with Maidstone  ;)).  The course was completely brown and burned-out except for the greens and tees for at least 2 straight months.  We worked very hard at keeping the greens healthy and smooth, and that kept the customers happy and the tee sheet full.  I spent the majority of my time hand syringing the greens in the afternoon, and the superintendant was a total tightwad (always coming in under budget).  Despite the fact that the course was a cash cow for the city, it never reinvested any profits in the course. 

Cheers,
Brad

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back