News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jonathan McCord

Blue Hill Country Club - Maine
« on: May 22, 2008, 11:01:36 AM »
Searching for any and all information about this 9-hole, Ross course just south of Blue Hill, ME.  I can't seem to find anything in the archives or online.  Any help would be greatly appreciated!
"Read it, Roll it, Hole it."

Michael Moore

Re: Blue Hill Country Club - Maine
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2008, 11:29:34 AM »
Jonathan -

It does not get too much more mysterious than the Blue Hill CC.

I have been lucky to spend a number of evenings in Blue Hill. Of all the low-key and wealthy Down East colonies, it is among the lowest-key and wealthiest. Sailing and partying seem to be the top activities.

I am fairly sure that Donald Ross had nothing to do with this course, which is without bunkers and fairly "executive" in length. In this regard, it is quite similar to the equally mysterious Megunitcook in Rockport. I would not be suprised if Alex Findlay designed both of these courses.

Google Earth has some fresh photos of this course, which show that it is directly on the harbor with one hole that sticks way out into the salty breeze. I have driven by, the setting is picture postcard Maine.

Thus, Mike Sweeney, whose goal is to play each oceanfront course in New England, will be on here in about fifteen minutes crowing about how we neeeeeeeeeeed to play this one and Megunticook. And he is probably correct . . .
Metaphor is social and shares the table with the objects it intertwines and the attitudes it reconciles. Opinion, like the Michelin inspector, dines alone. - Adam Gopnik, The Table Comes First

Dan Kelly

Re: Blue Hill Country Club - Maine
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2008, 12:05:25 PM »
I have been lucky to spend a number of evenings in Blue Hill. Of all the low-key and wealthy Down East colonies, it is among the lowest-key and wealthiest. Sailing and partying seem to be the top activities.

Completely OT -- but what the hell...

My treadmill reading the other morning was a lovely piece by Roger Angell  about his stepfather, E.B. White -- who, when he and his bride left New York, settled on the coast of Maine, in Blue Hill.

You'll find the piece at http://www.newyorker.com/archive/2005/02/14/050214fa_fact?printable=true

I won't attempt to rank it -- but rate it ****, and assure you that, if you are a fan of Mr. White or Mr. Angell or just good writing, it will be worth your time to read it.
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back