News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Sides

Re: Breaking 100 at Torrey???
« Reply #25 on: May 19, 2008, 09:22:13 AM »
Torrey Pines is no Oakmont.  I think Oakmont is one of the most difficult courses in the world!  It would be interesting to see the scores if they had this challenge last year at Oakmont.  As far as the players, whoever  was selected as the average joe will not break a 100.  The average joe is use to playing a local course at 6100 yards, with wide fairways, slow greens, and average rough.  The length alone could make the average joe shoot over a 100.  Justin Timberlake is suppose to be a decent golfer, but these conditions could cause higher scores.  Matt Lauer is suppose to be around a 7 handicap but I don't see  him breaking a 100.  Tony Romo is a very good golfer who is use to playing courses that have a lot of length and are set up in a tournament format.  I believe he will shoot in the 80's.  Most people do not realize that a golf course is set up very different during tournaments.  Length is a huge factor.  Greens are usually double cut and rolled.  The rough is a lot thicker. And the fairways sometimes  tightened. Not to mention pin placement can be a major factor.

A.G._Crockett

« Reply #26 on: May 19, 2008, 09:33:17 AM »
FWIW, I have attempted to play a 7800 yd. course.  I was at Kinderlou Forest in Valdosta, GA last fall, and on the second round of 36 hole day, decided I would go to the tips just to see what it was like.  I lasted less than nine holes before I moved up; it was completely unplayable for me.

For reference, my index at that time was approx. 4.5, and while I'm no monster off the tee, length is not usually a problem.  I often couldn't reach the fairways, even with driver; irons would have been completely out of the question.  When I could reach the fairway, I couldn't get to the corner of the doglegs anyway.

And this was w/o Open rough and greens running 12 or 13, plus the added pressure of media, etc.  AND, we were on the back end of an historic drought here, so that the course was running really fast.

In sum, I vote nobody (including Romo) breaks 85, and it wouldn't surprise me if nobody broke 90 either day.
"Golf...is usually played with the outward appearance of great dignity.  It is, nevertheless, a game of considerable passion, either of the explosive type, or that which burns inwardly and sears the soul."      Bobby Jones

Tony_Chapman

« Reply #27 on: May 19, 2008, 09:50:59 AM »
As an aside here -- the guy who is "not famous" is from my fine state and hails from Omaha. He appears to be a good story. He rolled through the popular vote on Golf Digest. He is in his late 30s and has inoperable lung cancer -- he has never smoked in his life. I hope he finds it inside him somewhere to shoot 99. Bob Rotella will be his caddie.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #28 on: May 19, 2008, 10:07:50 AM »
Glenn, while Oakmont was par 70, Torrey is par 71.  One less stroke Romo can lose and still break 80.  (Which I think he won't.)  

As for the winning score at the Open: even at this year's Buick, only three players besides Tiger shot under 280.  2nd place shot 277.  For the Open the course will be longer.  Fairways narrower.  Rough vastly deeper and thicker.  Greens faster, supposedly stimping around 13.  What about the winds?  Seems like I read they are tougher in June as well.  

Tiger's knee and lack of playing make him a question mark at this point.   Even par is 284.  If that's the winning score, it will be virtually the same as at Oakmont last year.  

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #29 on: May 19, 2008, 10:11:32 AM »
I don't even think he is a part of the bet. I think he is the celebrity guest or something like that. There is 0 chance that he will not break 100.

Glenn:

Exactly! The assertion by Tiger that spawned this is that a 10 couldn't do it, not a competitive plus-handicap amateur. He is just there to increase TV ratings and provide a measuring stick for better players.

But I don't think he'll break 80.

Sobe

JSlonis

« Reply #30 on: May 19, 2008, 10:15:21 AM »
If it is indeed US Open conditions, I'd be VERY surprised if Romo is able to break 80 in this event.  As a diehard Eagles fan, I hope he shoots 107. ;D

Matt Varney

« Reply #31 on: May 19, 2008, 01:29:06 PM »
I played Toorey Pines South from the set of tees up from the tips about 2 years ago and the rough was easy to get an iron on and advance the ball.  I think even a good golfer in the scratch to 5 handicap range will have a very tough time breaking 80 at Torrey.  I am a 10 handicap and with some good length off the tee, I played it down lost one ball and shot 88 from the blue tees.  If I had played the tips I would have been really happy to break 100.  This major is setup for a guy like TIger becasue Fred Funk can drive it like he is shooting an arrow but, it doesn't matter you hit it 270 in the middle of the fairway and you still have 230 to the hole with a 3 wood.

From the tips they can stretch this course to like 7800 yards and I am telling you if they grow the rough up and you miss just one or two drives during the round and it flairs out about 200 off the tee your not going to get to the green.  They have some par 4's that I swear to God look like par 5's from the tips seriously - it is really kind of scary if this is what golf is coming to with regard to length.   The common man golfer that dominates their local club is not used to this arena it is way out of their league during a competition. They might have one good round shoot 75 and then follow it up with an 85 or higher the next day.

Rees has tweaked the greens and bunkers so that the presentation of the course is like a US Open venue and with thick 3" to 4" thick rough these guys will be working damn hard to make bogey.  Remember Bethpage Black that course was not a pushover and it tested the players.  Tiger may beat this course down during the Buick every year but, I am thinking come US Open Sunday about 4-7 under wins.  Are they going to play the course Par 70 or Par 72?

Kalen Braley

« Reply #32 on: May 19, 2008, 01:42:27 PM »
As for Glenns bet, I think he is right.  An exempt PGA player may shoot 80+ on one day, but not likely 2 days in a row...they're just too good for that and is I guess the reason why they are exempt on Tour.

I'll bet a dollar, or two or whatever that Romo doesn't break 80.  Any takers?  I do think he'll break 90 though.  Perhaps I would get more action on betting for Romo to break 90 or not.

When is the round by the way?  Pete you going to be our eyes on the ground for this or will it be top secret and have to wait until Sunday of the US Open to see the result?   ;D

Pete Lavallee

« Reply #33 on: May 19, 2008, 01:49:02 PM »
When is the round by the way?  Pete you going to be our eyes on the ground for this or will it be top secret and have to wait until Sunday of the US Open to see the result?   ;D

They are supposed to play one week before the Open with "a select group of 200 spectators following them". I have not yet received my invitation.

As I said on the Torrey report thread, right now it would be doable, definetly not easy but possible due to the current condition of the greens. If they are firmed up and get 4 feet quicker I just don't see it happening. The rough is a pure hack out right now; there is actual talk of lowering it from the 5 inchs it measures now. It still takes a lot of straight shots to cover 7600 yards.
"...one inoculated with the virus must swing a golf-club or perish."  Robert Hunter

Kalen Braley

« Reply #34 on: May 19, 2008, 01:52:37 PM »

They are supposed to play one week before the Open with "a select group of 200 spectators following them". I have not yet received my invitation.

As I said on the Torrey report thread, right now it would be doable, definetly not easy but possible due to the current condition of the greens. If they are firmed up and get 4 feet quicker I just don't see it happening. The rough is a pure hack out right now; there is actual talk of lowering it from the 5 inchs it measures now. It still takes a lot of straight shots to cover 7600 yards.

Pete,

Well seeing how that invitation is likely "lost in the mail", I suppose you could get in one of those paragliders rigs, put a fan on the back and crash the party by providing some "aerial" coverage.   ;D

Matt Varney

« Reply #35 on: May 19, 2008, 02:02:11 PM »
Pete,

Based on your post - I don't care who is playing 80 wil be a career round at Torrey South from the tips with 5" rough, narrow fairways and greens that are rollig in the 11-12 range on the stimp.

If they are playing a week before the US Open this will the ultimate test.  Before any even especially a major zero play is allowed on the course for about 2 weeks to a full month in preparation for playing conditions to be perfect leading up to the tournament.   200 spectators will also be tough for someone not used to playing around a good size group following.    

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #36 on: May 19, 2008, 02:09:25 PM »
I am curious... is the player in question going to be get a US course handicap of 10 from the tips at Torrey?  That would mean he's an 8 point something index.... Which would be significantly different from a 10 index...

My feeling has always been that either way, his chances of a double digit score will not be good.  But if they select an 8 point something index who's played a little tournament golf, well... that person would have a fighting chance.

Thus I want to know more about the player himself before I make my call.

I say Romo shoots somewhere in the high 70s.  Maybe he gets it under.  He is a player, and as much as conditions will be tough, it will be still just a funsy round, not the actual US Open.  Put him in that and the collar does tighten, I think. 

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #37 on: May 19, 2008, 02:13:05 PM »
So Tom,

You want some action on that bet then?  I say Romo won't even sniff 80, much less something in the 70s...85 is about the closest he gets.   ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #38 on: May 19, 2008, 02:23:00 PM »
Make the number 85 and I'll take the under.

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #39 on: May 19, 2008, 02:27:39 PM »
Make the number 85 and I'll take the under.

TH

Ahh come on what happened to the 70s   ;D  ;D

Ok man, you got yourself a deal Over/Under at 85, I'm picking over.  Whats the bet?   ;)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #40 on: May 19, 2008, 02:31:30 PM »
My first post was poorly worded.  I meant to say he has a CHANCE to shoot high 70s, maybe even lower.  But he'll have to play very well to do that.  More likely is a number in the low 80s... and if things go bad it could go higher, for sure.  Hell a lot can happen in any one golf round.  But my feeling remains they picked a guy who's at least somewhat of a competitive golfer, not just a football player dabbling in such.  And thus he does have a fighting chance to post a good number.

As for the stakes, hell odds are others get in on this... so let's wait and see.

TH

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #41 on: May 19, 2008, 02:43:20 PM »
TH,

Is it wrong for me to actually admit that I am looking forward to seeing this as much as the actual tournament? ;D

Romo didn't play golf for a week before Open qualifying this year. 42-33-75 at Golf Club of Dallas.  His Azalea scores are on page 1 of this thread thanks to Steve Kline. 10 scores all week in the 60's at The Azalea, with a low of 67. Romo had a 69. 77-68-77 T11th at The Celeb thing in Tahoe.

Open Qualifying 2007- 72. 68 got out.

JJ Henry and Harrison Frazar def. Trip Kuehne and Tony Romo 3&2 to open some course in Texas.

2008- Broke up with Jessica Simpson.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #42 on: May 19, 2008, 02:45:01 PM »
TH,

Is it wrong for me to actually admit that I am looking forward to seeing this as much as the actual tournament? ;D

Romo didn't play golf for a week before Open qualifying this year. 42-33-75 at Golf Club of Dallas.  His Azalea scores are on page 1 of this thread thanks to Steve Kline. 10 scores all week in the 60's at The Azalea, with a low of 67. Romo had a 69. 77-68-77 T11th at The Celeb thing in Tahoe.

Open Qualifying 2007- 72. 68 got out.

JJ Henry and Harrison Frazar def. Trip Kuehne and Tony Romo 3&2 to open some course in Texas.

2008- Broke up with Jessica Simpson.

Glenn - there is nothing wrong with that at all.   ;D

And scores such as these are what make me think he has a fighting chance to do well in this one round.

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #43 on: May 19, 2008, 02:52:55 PM »
TH,
Romo had a 69. 77-68-77 T11th at The Celeb thing in Tahoe.

Its those scores at Tahoe that really tell the story to me.  I mean c'mon playing from the whites, with little rough at Tahoe, and he shoots 2 77's?  I'm not seeing it.

However give me Jack Wagner, and I'd put money on him breaking 80 at TP from the tippers.   ;D

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #44 on: May 19, 2008, 03:04:53 PM »
TH,

Its those scores at Tahoe that really tell the story to me.  I mean c'mon playing from the whites, with little rough at Tahoe, and he shoots 2 77's?  I'm not seeing it.

However give me Jack Wagner, and I'd put money on him breaking 80 at TP from the tippers.   ;D

I thought the exact same thing about Tahoe. I just thought wait a second here. It is all washed out by the 3rd 69 at The Azalea though. Cut looming and he fires 69, I like it. I would think Wagner would also have a good chance.

tlavin

« Reply #45 on: May 19, 2008, 03:28:13 PM »
What is the concencus on GCA about the chances of 10 handicappers breaking 100 on the Open set up?
I have never been there and do not know if it will play as tough as say Oakmont, Winged Foot or Shinnecock - where I do not believe a 10 handicap could break 100 at strokeplay.

I still don't think they will have a chance at Torrey but wondered what y'all thought.

I think Torrey would give a 10 handicapper a much better chance than other Open venues like Winged Foot, but I still think it's a real longshot.  The best strategy would be to play like an old man and hit it short and straight and hopefully make some putts.  There are some holes, however, where hitting the fairway will be very problematic.  Then there's the issue of the rough.  Even if the rough is "only" 5 inches deep, a 10 handicapper will have a real hard time hitting it more than forty yards.  Finally, you have the green speeds.  Luckily, they won't be playing on the weekend, where the greens will probably stimp at 14 or so.  Even at 12, it will be murder, because those set-up guys working for the USGA know every impossible-to-read putt on every green.  I'd bet a hundred bucks that none of the 10's will break 100.

PThomas

« Reply #46 on: May 19, 2008, 03:37:43 PM »
If it is indeed US Open conditions, I'd be VERY surprised if Romo is able to break 80 in this event.  As a diehard Eagles fan, I hope he shoots 107. ;D

i'll be looking for you in the gallery JES with a Jessica Simpson mask on ;)
197 played, only 3 to go!!

PThomas

« Reply #47 on: May 19, 2008, 03:51:31 PM »
TH,

wasn't Wagner the guy at one of the celeb tournaments a few years ago
who was going for a course record or something and totally screwed up the last hole??
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #48 on: May 19, 2008, 04:01:00 PM »
Not sure about the record part.

But yes Jack Wagner does play the Tahoe celeb event every year and is a fine golfer.  And to boot, recently he's been rumored to have been dating his Melrose Place love interest Heather Locklear.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #49 on: May 19, 2008, 04:07:49 PM »
Not sure about the record part.

But yes Jack Wagner does play the Tahoe celeb event every year and is a fine golfer.  And to boot, recently he's been rumored to have been dating his Melrose Place love interest Heather Locklear.

If that is the case, he should not be screwing around with events like this.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back