News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jim Nugent

Re: Breaking 100 at Torrey???
« Reply #125 on: June 15, 2008, 12:15:44 AM »
Long, short, windy, calm, easy, hard, etc.

Actually, the amateur that played probably was a 10 handicap on Torrey at the slope rating it would have under the existing setup.

Ken

You're right, thanks.  And he shot 114. 

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #126 on: June 15, 2008, 05:34:58 AM »
I am feeling quite generous as I have the Celtics in the series. I think I will let all of you out of your $1 bets. Every single exempt player broke 80 today. That bet is done.  I think the boys will get it in gear a little more tomorrow. -6 wins it.
Isn't Hunter Haas exempt? 80. Day 2 Craig Parry, Jerry Kelly, Michael Campbell, Steve Flesch and Niclas Fasth all exempt, all in the 80's.

Two days of toughening up to go! When these guys played last week the greens were no where near what they are now. You think the USGA would risk that a week before their showpiece event?

Romo shot 84 which is very admirable. Could he break 80 though, very doubtful with the tournament conditions. Could he break 75, very very doubtful.

Haas, 70 second round. I don't know if he is exempt or not.

Romo. My god, you guys are unbelievable. Fowler shoots 70. Tway 75. Stanley 72. Fathauer 73,73. Thompson 74,73,73.

2008 Azalea-  Kevin Tway 72-72-75-73. Romo 73-80-69-81. Cuts Tway by six shots in R3.

Dean,

Would you care to explain how Tway can't break 72 at The Azalea and can shoot 75 IN the US Open. Romo can shoot 69 at The Azalea and according to you, he can't break 80 on the same course. 

Dean Stokes

« Reply #127 on: June 15, 2008, 10:12:04 AM »
I am feeling quite generous as I have the Celtics in the series. I think I will let all of you out of your $1 bets. Every single exempt player broke 80 today. That bet is done.  I think the boys will get it in gear a little more tomorrow. -6 wins it.
Isn't Hunter Haas exempt? 80. Day 2 Craig Parry, Jerry Kelly, Michael Campbell, Steve Flesch and Niclas Fasth all exempt, all in the 80's.

Two days of toughening up to go! When these guys played last week the greens were no where near what they are now. You think the USGA would risk that a week before their showpiece event?

Romo shot 84 which is very admirable. Could he break 80 though, very doubtful with the tournament conditions. Could he break 75, very very doubtful.

Romo. My god, you guys are unbelievable. Fowler shoots 70. Tway 75. Stanley 72. Fathauer 73,73. Thompson 74,73,73.

2008 Azalea-  Kevin Tway 72-72-75-73. Romo 73-80-69-81. Cuts Tway by six shots in R3.

Dean,

Would you care to explain how Tway can't break 72 at The Azalea and can shoot 75 IN the US Open. Romo can shoot 69 at The Azalea and according to you, he can't break 80 on the same course. 
Glenn, what the Azalea has to do with anything regarding the US Open and breaking 80 on a US Open course I have no idea.

I have no idea why young Tway did not have a low score at the Azalea. Perhaps he putted like a dog. I do know he finished the tournament 11 shots ahead of Mr Romo which would appear to make him a much better golfer.

Glenn, we are not discussing Romo here. We are discussing a 2 handicap amateur not dropping any more than 8 shots on a US Open set up. Does that sound realistic to you?

I played the TPC the day after the Players and I played Castle Pines the day after the International. Until I  stood on the tees and looked at the width of the fairways, hit in the rough and hit to bone hard greens I had no idea how difficult it was to score on a Tour venue.

There was no way a 2 handicap could break 80 on either of those courses and we are talking about the US Open here.

Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #128 on: June 15, 2008, 03:38:57 PM »

Dean,

Glenn, what the Azalea has to do with anything regarding the US Open and breaking 80 on a US Open course I have no idea.

I have no idea why young Tway did not have a low score at the Azalea. Perhaps he putted like a dog. I do know he finished the tournament 11 shots ahead of Mr Romo which would appear to make him a much better golfer.

Glenn, we are not discussing Romo here. We are discussing a 2 handicap amateur not dropping any more than 8 shots on a US Open set up. Does that sound realistic to you?

I played the TPC the day after the Players and I played Castle Pines the day after the International. Until I  stood on the tees and looked at the width of the fairways, hit in the rough and hit to bone hard greens I had no idea how difficult it was to score on a Tour venue.

There was no way a 2 handicap could break 80 on either of those courses and we are talking about the US Open here.

Nice to see that you are not letting facts get in the way of your argument. What does shooting 69 in The Azalea have to do with playing in the US Open? What do you think Dean?  For the love of God, we ARE discussing Romo!!!m Where the hell have you been? When was any of my discussion about anything besides Romo?  I am watching it right now and Romo is disgusted with his swing and play. You have no idea what you are talking about and you didn't answer the logic that was put in front of you.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #129 on: June 15, 2008, 04:06:15 PM »
You think shooting 73,80,69,81 around a 6500 yard, par 71 with a course rating of 71.9 has any relevance to what he could shoot at a US Open venue?  And I don't know what I'm talking about? I'm still trying to find the logic. ;)
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Mike Golden

« Reply #130 on: June 15, 2008, 04:24:53 PM »

Dean,

As a historical note, I played Pebble Beach 3 days after the 2000 Open.  The rough had been cut a couple of inches but was still incredibly nasty.  Playing from the Blue Tees (one up from the tournament tees) and starting, in a shotgun start with 3 other guys who didn't break 120, shot 83 after being 10 over after the first 6 holes.  I doubt my score would have been much higher from the back tees and would have certainly been lower if I was playing in a group of people that could hit the ball straight, if I hadn't started on #9 (I doubled #9 and tripled #10, starting on #1 would have been much easier).

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #131 on: June 15, 2008, 04:27:44 PM »
You think shooting 73,80,69,81 around a 6500 yard, par 71 with a course rating of 71.9 has any relevance to what he could shoot at a US Open venue?  And I don't know what I'm talking about? I'm still trying to find the logic. ;)

No, you clearly don't. Difficult is difficult. Go over and check out the scores from the 2008 Azalea. So, you have Romo's scores up, I guess we are talking about him. When a lot of the best amateurs in the country show up at a tournament and shoot 10 scores in the 60's all week and Romo shoots one  of them??? Are you really this dumb?? The golf course at The Azalea was really playing hard. Hard is hard!! Are you dumb enough to think that CCoC doesn't toughen up the course for that tournament? Do you think they did the rating the week of The Azalea?

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #132 on: June 15, 2008, 04:30:48 PM »

Dean,

As a historical note, I played Pebble Beach 3 days after the 2000 Open.  The rough had been cut a couple of inches but was still incredibly nasty.  Playing from the Blue Tees (one up from the tournament tees) and starting, in a shotgun start with 3 other guys who didn't break 120, shot 83 after being 10 over after the first 6 holes.  I doubt my score would have been much higher from the back tees and would have certainly been lower if I was playing in a group of people that could hit the ball straight, if I hadn't started on #9 (I doubled #9 and tripled #10, starting on #1 would have been much easier).

Nice Round Mike!! You are now one of the lucky 127 people that can play golf in the world. Congrats, you, God and the exempt 125. Sounds like you could have shot a lot lower. Dean is going to tell you that Pebble isn't that long though. That makes it monumentally easily, don't you know?

Mike Golden

« Reply #133 on: June 15, 2008, 04:40:04 PM »

Dean,

Nice Round Mike!! You are now one of the lucky 127 people that can play golf in the world. Congrats, you, God and the exempt 125. Sounds like you could have shot a lot lower. Dean is going to tell you that Pebble isn't that long though. That makes it monumentally easily, don't you know?

Glen, there's no reason for sarcasm. I am my own worst critic about my golf game.  I was trying to point out that there are lots of reasons other than handicap regarding an amateur playing a US Open Course.  That why Kenny Perry isn't playing this week and why Bruce Lietzke always picked courses he could play well in putting together his schedule.  I also played Pinehurst #2 about 3 weeks before the 99 Open and it brutalized me, I couldn't have broken 100 in 10 tries there-it's just a matter of how the golf course fits your game.  I'm pretty good tee to green but have a bad short game so #2 will almost always overwhlem me.
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 04:47:09 PM by Mike Golden »

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #134 on: June 15, 2008, 04:46:12 PM »
Was I using sarcasm? ;D

Let's also look at how much golf Romo was playing before he went to Torrey. He flew in from Cowboys training camp on Thursday and shot 84 on Friday. A normal tournament week like the Tour and this discussion is insane. Give the guy credit and stop acting like professional guys are the only ones that can play the game. Romo is extremely talented, stop insulting the guy!!

Dean Stokes

« Reply #135 on: June 15, 2008, 05:06:11 PM »

No, you clearly don't. Difficult is difficult. Go over and check out the scores from the 2008 Azalea. So, you have Romo's scores up, I guess we are talking about him. When a lot of the best amateurs in the country show up at a tournament and shoot 10 scores in the 60's all week and Romo shoots one  of them??? Are you really this dumb?? The golf course at The Azalea was really playing hard. Hard is hard!! Are you dumb enough to think that CCoC doesn't toughen up the course for that tournament? Do you think they did the rating the week of The Azalea?
Glenn, I'm trying to be very cordial in my stating that I do not think Romo or any 2 handicap amateur can break 80 at a US Open venue. You have now called me stupid and dumb. Why?

Romo is very talented - that I have never denied. He is still a 2 handicap golfer. This is still a US Open venue. He only managed 84 on a course that as we all understand on this site, due to the firmness and speed of the greens was probably 3 or 4 shots easier than it is for the tournament.

Mike Golden

« Reply #136 on: June 15, 2008, 05:43:32 PM »
Was I using sarcasm? ;D

Let's also look at how much golf Romo was playing before he went to Torrey. He flew in from Cowboys training camp on Thursday and shot 84 on Friday. A normal tournament week like the Tour and this discussion is insane. Give the guy credit and stop acting like professional guys are the only ones that can play the game. Romo is extremely talented, stop insulting the guy!!

deleted
« Last Edit: June 15, 2008, 06:04:57 PM by Mike Golden »

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #137 on: June 15, 2008, 05:58:52 PM »
Mike,
I think you have it all wrong.  If you read my comments on the previous posts, you will understand. I was being serious about you shooting a nice round of 83 at Pebble. Sarcastic about the 127 people that can play golf well. If you think that is being an asshole to you, I am so sorry. Your story was very interesting and only added to my point, never meant to say anything derogatory to you.

Nice round. Sounds like you could have shot lower if you had started on the easy first and par 5 second. Not seeing the asshole.

Mike Golden

« Reply #138 on: June 15, 2008, 06:05:38 PM »
Mike,
I think you have it all wrong.  If you read my comments on the previous posts, you will understand. I was being serious about you shooting a nice round of 83 at Pebble. Sarcastic about the 127 people that can play golf well. If you think that is being an asshole to you, I am so sorry. Your story was very interesting and only added to my point, never meant to say anything derogatory to you.

Nice round. Sounds like you could have shot lower if you had started on the easy first and par 5 second. Not seeing the asshole.

no problem, Glenn, I probably overreacted. Let me know if you ever going to be in Atlanta and maybe we can tee it up...

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #139 on: June 15, 2008, 06:09:49 PM »

Glenn, I'm trying to be very cordial in my stating that I do not think Romo or any 2 handicap amateur can break 80 at a US Open venue. You have now called me stupid and dumb. Why?

Romo is very talented - that I have never denied. He is still a 2 handicap golfer. This is still a US Open venue. He only managed 84 on a course that as we all understand on this site, due to the firmness and speed of the greens was probably 3 or 4 shots easier than it is for the tournament.

I never called you dumb or stupid. I asked you if you were dumb enough to think that a guy who just got off a plane from Dallas Cowboy mini-camp and flew into San Diego and shot an 84 5 days before the tournament started couldn't improve by 5 shots on that golf course. A guy who beat a guy by 6 on the same course that shot 75 IN the US Open. Do you think he was playing a lot of golf with the Cowboys? Do you think he gets to practice like he should. Do you really think he 4-putts next time. Do you think he duffs a chip all the time or doubles easy par fives or is it mostly because he was coming from training camp and not properly prepared like he should have been. Does any of this lead to a better performance? According to you, not in the slightest. If you think that, you are BEING dumb. Everyone has a much better chance of playing well, when they show up on Sunday, play nine holes and get to know the golf course more all the way up until Thursday. He flew in, showed up and shot 84 with a 4-putt, double on 18 and a duffed chip on an easy shot. 6 shots right there. Now be reasonable.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #140 on: June 15, 2008, 06:10:49 PM »
Mike,

no problem, Glenn, I probably overreacted. Let me know if you ever going to be in Atlanta and maybe we can tee it up...

Sounds good. I don't think you overreacted if you thought I meant, what I think you thought I meant.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back