News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dean Stokes

Breaking 100 at Torrey???
« on: May 17, 2008, 11:10:57 AM »
What is the concencus on GCA about the chances of 10 handicappers breaking 100 on the Open set up?
I have never been there and do not know if it will play as tough as say Oakmont, Winged Foot or Shinnecock - where I do not believe a 10 handicap could break 100 at strokeplay.

I still don't think they will have a chance at Torrey but wondered what y'all thought.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Greg Krueger

Re: Breaking 100 at Torrey???
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2008, 11:21:14 AM »
Dean, With the cameras and the whole circus, I don't think so. Maybe if he was just playing with his golf buddies he has a decent shot.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2008, 01:33:14 PM »
The answer is no, no, and again no at any U. S. Open course.   For example, any time I looked back for the tournament tees at Shinnecock they were inevitably 50 yards back on all but the one-shot holes.  The native grass was low as the season was just beginning and the greens were a modest pace.   The weather was awful and as a 12  handicap I didn't make a par. 

If there's one true advertising slogan in this country it's "These guys are good."

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

George Pazin

« Reply #3 on: May 17, 2008, 02:07:38 PM »
Of the 4 participants in the NBC thing, I think only Romo has a good shot. Apparently he's a very good golfer, having played in US Open qualifiers, and the outside pressures shouldn't affect him as much (as long as the Giant D is not there... :)).

I will say, just from viewing on TV, Torrey would appear to be one of the only Open venues where they'd even have a prayer. Even then, I say no.

I'd hate to see any 10 handicapper play TP 16-18 under Open conditions and TV pressure.

To everyone -

If you were trying to do it, would you change your normal strategy at all, or would you simply try to play your normal game and hope for the best?
Big drivers and hot balls are the product of golf course design that rewards the hit one far then hit one high strategy.  Shinny showed everyone how to take care of this whole technology dilemma. - Pat Brockwell, 6/24/04

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2008, 03:53:27 PM »
If the goal was simply to break 100, I would probably just hit irons off the tee all the way around (with a rare exception or two) and avoid the big number material.

Art Roselle

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2008, 10:53:55 AM »
I think at least one will break 100 and probably more.  If they simply try to break 100, then they have a good shot.  If they get greedy and try to shoot 85, then they could shoot 110.

We got to play Quail Hollow the morning after the tournament a couple of years ago, before they cut the rough or moved the pins or anything.  Granted, that is not quite a US Open setup, but the winning score of 277 was not far from what the Open produces.  Also, it was soaking wet and 7400 yards and the rough was impossible that year.  Anyway, everyone was between a 6 and an 11 hdcp and nobody broke 90, BUT nobody came close to going over 100 either.  It was just a bogey slog with an occasional double or triple and an occasional lucky par.  Everyone gravitated around 92 or so when it was all said and done (including the guy who magically birdied 1, 2 and 7).

Each Open is different and I doubt any normal 10 could break 100 at Oakmont or that crazy setup at Shinnecock, but I think they have a shot at Torrey.  We will see.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #6 on: May 18, 2008, 11:29:29 AM »
I don't know anything about the contest, but Romo will break 80. The guy is a pretty well-seasoned amateur golfer.  T34th at The Azalea ( I think) with a 69 and an 80 or something like that. He just needs to show up to break 100.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2008, 12:08:27 PM »
I don't know anything about the contest, but Romo will break 80. The guy is a pretty well-seasoned amateur golfer.  T34th at The Azalea ( I think) with a 69 and an 80 or something like that. He just needs to show up to break 100.
Break 80?????? Glenn come on now.........There will be tour players can't break 80 and he's not nearly a tour player.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Sam Morrow

« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2008, 12:25:57 PM »
If the goal was simply to break 100, I would probably just hit irons off the tee all the way around (with a rare exception or two) and avoid the big number material.

Problem with that strategy is that if you miss an iron or put it on the wrong side of the hole you're boned.

Steve Kline

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2008, 01:27:18 PM »
I think this is a great exercise because it will show how far us mere mortals are from the Tour players. Romo has no hope of breaking 80. I think he'll break a 100 though depending on what kind of player he is. Is he that hits it long and crooked and plays where he can get away with that? If so, he'll struggle mightily. He doesn't play consistently enough. His rounds at the Azalea were something like 79, 70, 80, 69. And, isn't the Azalea played on a relatively short course (with probably little tough)? The rest of them don't stand a chance at breaking 100. 7,600 yards is freaking long!!!! Plus, the pressure they will be feeling will be huge. With bogey and double bogey they will be inching themselves closer to 100 line. The rough will be brutal. The regular Joe guy will have never played on the greens that fast even if they are only an 11. He will under read a lot of putts because of the speed.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #10 on: May 18, 2008, 01:51:33 PM »

Assuming you could reach the fairway....
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #11 on: May 18, 2008, 01:58:28 PM »
Assuming you could reach the fairway....

Yikes!

Ouch, this is gonna hurt

Peter

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #12 on: May 18, 2008, 02:30:31 PM »
I think this is a great exercise because it will show how far us mere mortals are from the Tour players. Romo has no hope of breaking 80. I think he'll break a 100 though depending on what kind of player he is. Is he that hits it long and crooked and plays where he can get away with that? If so, he'll struggle mightily. He doesn't play consistently enough. His rounds at the Azalea were something like 79, 70, 80, 69. And, isn't the Azalea played on a relatively short course (with probably little tough)? The rest of them don't stand a chance at breaking 100. 7,600 yards is freaking long!!!! Plus, the pressure they will be feeling will be huge. With bogey and double bogey they will be inching themselves closer to 100 line. The rough will be brutal. The regular Joe guy will have never played on the greens that fast even if they are only an 11. He will under read a lot of putts because of the speed.

Why is he going to show up then? Let's see. Quarterback of the Dallas Cowboys, famous around the world, busy with all of that and finds time to work on his golf game and show quite well at The Azalea. There is an abundance of talent needed to do those things, he won't have any problems at all. It is not as if there is some hidden mystery to Torrey Pines.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #13 on: May 18, 2008, 02:32:16 PM »
Break 80?????? Glenn come on now.........There will be tour players can't break 80 and he's not nearly a tour player.

I will bet you a dollar that not one exempt tour player doesn't not break 80.

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #14 on: May 18, 2008, 02:46:24 PM »
Glen,

Done.

Bob

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #15 on: May 18, 2008, 02:51:12 PM »
Ok, Bob. Remember, they get two rounds.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #16 on: May 18, 2008, 02:56:16 PM »

Problem with that strategy is that if you miss an iron or put it on the wrong side of the hole you're boned.

That's right. Also, you're going to be hitting an awful lot of irons.  Probably three full ones on just about every par 4.  3 to 4 on the par 5's.  Can a 10 handicap hit 3 nearly perfect irons in a row, on a U.S. Open course and setup that is 7500 yards long with ribbon-like fairways?  If he doesn't he's in the rough or bunkers.  

Glenn -- what if Romo brings his "80 at Azalea" game to Torrey?  He shot that half the time there.  What do you think he will score if he plays like that at Torrey, which is probably going to be much, much tougher.  

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #17 on: May 18, 2008, 03:10:22 PM »

That's right. Also, you're going to be hitting an awful lot of irons.  Probably three full ones on just about every par 4.  3 to 4 on the par 5's.  Can a 10 handicap hit 3 nearly perfect irons in a row, on a U.S. Open course and setup that is 7500 yards long with ribbon-like fairways?  If he doesn't he's in the rough or bunkers. 

Glenn -- what if Romo brings his "80 at Azalea" game to Torrey?  He shot that half the time there.  What do you think he will score if he plays like that at Torrey, which is probably going to be much, much tougher. 

Well, I don't think 80 at CC of Charleston will translate to U.S. Open Torrey Pines very well.  One round is not the best barometer, in my opinion. There are a lot of factors, but, I just don't think he will have that much trouble. He must have an awful lot of game to do what he has been able to do on the golf course. If he cares about this side-show, I think his game will be there. I played Torrey Pines and didn't see a whole lot to figure out. Why shouldn't he break 80? 100 is just a joke for someone like Romo. I could see someone of his ilk getting into a little bit of trouble at Shinnecock or Oakmont on the wrong day, but that isn't going to happen at Torrey Pines.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #18 on: May 18, 2008, 03:31:44 PM »

Glenn, there are exempt tour players who don't break 80 at regular tour events. Even though I have never seen Torrey, the USGA are going to try and save par and that will cause players to shoot in the 80's. I'll take your bet all day long. As for Romo, I have never seen him play nor do I know his handicap. However talented he is, which he obviously is, being an average handicap golfer is not nearly enough to get you round a US Open venue. He will not nearly break 80 but I think out of the 4 he could be the one to break 100. We will see.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #19 on: May 18, 2008, 03:58:27 PM »

Glenn, there are exempt tour players who don't break 80 at regular tour events. Even though I have never seen Torrey, the USGA are going to try and save par and that will cause players to shoot in the 80's. I'll take your bet all day long. As for Romo, I have never seen him play nor do I know his handicap. However talented he is, which he obviously is, being an average handicap golfer is not nearly enough to get you round a US Open venue. He will not nearly break 80 but I think out of the 4 he could be the one to break 100. We will see.

Dean,

My bet is that there will not be an exempt player that posts two rounds in the 80's. That will not happen. It hardly ever does. You will lose that bet. Romo is a +1 at Dallas National or something like that. He could break 100 with his eyes closed. he is not average in any way. I don't even think he is a part of the bet. I think he is the celebrity guest or something like that. There is 0 chance that he will not break 100.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2008, 04:09:11 PM »
7 guys shot 2 rounds in the 80's last year at freaking Oakmont!!! None of them were exempt players, to my knowledge, unless Ryan Palmer was exempt last year.

Jim Nugent

« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2008, 04:20:25 PM »
Glenn, if Torrey proves as tough this year as Oakmont was last year, do you think Romo will break 80? 

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2008, 04:26:15 PM »
Jim,

Do you expect Torrey Pines to play the same as Oakmont? ;D  Oakmont is as tough as we have and only seven guys failed to do it. None of them near exempt status. My bet really is an easy winner.

I still think he can, yes. That is 10 over par. This US Open is a glorified tour event with smaller fairways. I think the winner will be well under par, well under. Cabrera was 5 over.

Glenn Spencer

« Reply #23 on: May 18, 2008, 04:35:13 PM »
4 scores in the 80's last year at Torrey Pines. 400 and some rounds and 4 of them were in the 80's. I don't think the USGA can make it THAT tough.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #24 on: May 18, 2008, 06:07:53 PM »
I agree that no exempt player will shoot two rounds in the 80's. Romo willl not break 80 however. So our bets will be equal. 8)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back