News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Re: Ski Resort Golf Courses
« Reply #25 on: May 18, 2008, 03:57:28 PM »

I have a house at Bryce resort in the Virginia mountains.  It has a little ski hill and golf course and very often will ski a couple of hours in the morning and play golf and tennis in the afternoon.

In April a buddy and I have skied at Arapaho Basin for a few days and then drive to Denver and play golf.  Packing for the two is interesting.

Tommy,

I have been to Bryce a couple of times with relatives who have a place there. I really like the remoteness of the resort. The course, albeit very short, is a fun time no doubt. That is really a special spot of the state.

Allan,Bryce is just a little resort with a bunch of retired folks.  My kids learned to ski and sail on the little lake.  It is unpretentious and wants to stay that way.  It is a great family place.  The skiing isn't great and the golf is fun.  The course is a tad short, but I make my own tees and tee it up where I want.  In the winter my Golden will walk along with me.  It is a great place to unwind.

I have not played the Massanuten Course  The skiing there has gotten better int he past ten years.  JMU is a great place and a fine school.  A bunch of kids from my parish have attended and loved the place.  They even have a ski team and train at Bryce.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Forrest Richardson

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2008, 11:21:17 PM »
Desmond Muirhead was a master designer of ski resorts. He found a lot in common with both golf courses and downhill ski slopes — "Both take a lot of engineering...and routing," he told me.

Which reminds me, our office once got involved in a planning effort for a (now) famous ski resort that was considering a golf course. Our solution: Retrofitted lifts that would haul an EZ-GO cart up the mountain so all the holes played downhill. No joke. No, we did not get the job.
— Forrest Richardson, Golf Course Architect/ASGCA
    www.golfgroupltd.com
    www.golframes.com

Jason Connor

« Reply #27 on: May 22, 2008, 09:32:21 AM »
The driving range at The Wisp in Western MD is the kiddy slope (you hit up the hill from the bottom).

But to my knowledge none of the fairways double as slopes.

I hear their building a new Hal Irwin course near there, but I don't know if it's affiliated with The Wisp.

We discovered that in good company there is no such thing as a bad golf course.  - James Dodson

Paul Stephenson

« Reply #28 on: May 22, 2008, 01:57:17 PM »
There are 2 Stanley Thompson courses that are built in and around ski hills:

Uplands (now 9 holes) has ski areas close to the fairways on a few of the holes but none actually "co-exist."

Chedoke (Beddoe) actually has the ski hill cross the 18th fairway in a couple of places.  If I recall correctly, the t-bar hut is in play.

Aerial of Chedoke is here:

http://old.hamilton.ca/Visiting-Here/golf/Chedoke_Beddoe/images/chedokes_aerial_large.jpg

You can see the top of the ski runs cut out of the trees in the left of the picture.

As you can tell, it's not a really big ski hill.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back