News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Bill_McBride

Ski Resort Golf Courses
« on: May 16, 2008, 04:32:34 PM »
The thread currently on page 1 about green fee tickets in the UK and JakaB's hilarious comment about not getting laid in spite of a bunch of ski lift tickets hanging on a parka (his?) brought the following question to mind:

Has there ever been a really good golf course built at a ski resort where the fairways are ski runs in the winter?

??? :o ???

The only one I've ever played was Northstar at Lake Tahoe and OMG, what an ordeal.

Any others where it actually works?

Mike Benham

Re: Ski Resort Golf Courses
« Reply #1 on: May 16, 2008, 04:37:24 PM »
Bill -

The golf course and ski runs are not one in the same, unless they are used for cross country skiing.

But you are correct, the non-meadow 9 of Northstar is painful ...

Mike
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #2 on: May 16, 2008, 04:46:16 PM »
I don't know any courses that use the ski runs.  In fact what is amazing about these golf courses at ski resorts is that many of them are on flatish/rolling terrain.  Breckenridge, Vail courses, and the grandfather of them all, Michigan's Boyne Highlands 
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

John_Conley

« Reply #3 on: May 16, 2008, 04:48:25 PM »
The golf course N of Hayward, Wisconsin was a bunch of fun to play even though it had more than its fair share of quirks.  Telemark?

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #4 on: May 16, 2008, 06:04:57 PM »
Galloping Hill a county run course in Union, New Jersey is quite hilly as noted.  The third hole had a rope tow and was used for skiing years ago. Don't know if that remains true.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #5 on: May 16, 2008, 06:16:35 PM »
No fair listing courses AT ski resorts where the fairways are in flat meadows.  I'm talking about "black diamond" ski run fairways!

Ray Richard

« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2008, 06:21:12 PM »
Hanover Country Club in New Hampshire had a big ski jump on the edge of one of the fairways for many years. The ski jump was used by Dartmouth College athletes to train  in the 1950s. Ron Prichard did a big update on the course a few years ago and I think the the ski jump was taken down during this process.

Tom Yost

« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2008, 06:25:12 PM »
I have a vision of someday skiing and golfing in the same day.  I'm thinking like Tahoe in the morning then down to Carson City for 18 holes in the afternoon.  Or vice-versa (i guess the afternoon lift ticket is cheaper...)

Anyone done that?

Brad Tufts

« Reply #8 on: May 16, 2008, 06:29:35 PM »
I think the ski jump was gone well before the redo, as I went to a jr. golf camp there in 1995 and didn't see the ski jump, but you can still clearly see where it was, and it is now commemorated with a plaque on the site, now right of the current 15th hole.

Play well at Prezy's tomorrow Ray (at least I think it's you)...I'm about an hour after you...

-Brad
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Andy Levett

« Reply #9 on: May 16, 2008, 06:48:54 PM »
Probably a ne'er the twain shall meet thing.
But Dornoch 8 and 17, Portrush 15 and Pleasington 7 not bad - say solid but very short reds - for skiing, one or two days a year.
Chamonix, which is very good skiing,  has an RTJ course in the valley. Could be as good a combo as it gets.
Zermatt, which is arguably the best skiing, hosts a pasture golf-type cross-country event in the summer, which could be fun. GCA's John Chilver-Stainer is involved.

Mike Lacey

« Reply #10 on: May 16, 2008, 06:50:03 PM »
Not sure this qualifies, but the recently anointed 4th best course in the Phila area, Pine Hill Golf Club, sits atop the former home of Ski Mountain.  At a whopping 209 feet above MSL, the highest point in South Jersey.  I think it may be a bit of stretch to dub Ski Mountain a resort, though. 

Tom Yost, You could have easily done Sunrise and Silver Creek GC this spring. 

Matt Waterbury

« Reply #11 on: May 16, 2008, 08:14:46 PM »
Hanover Country Club in New Hampshire had a big ski jump on the edge of one of the fairways for many years. The ski jump was used by Dartmouth College athletes to train  in the 1950s. Ron Prichard did a big update on the course a few years ago and I think the the ski jump was taken down during this process.

As a Dartmouth alum, I have very fond memories of the uphill 14th, that plays from the landing area of what used to be the ski jump. HCC is certainly a tricked up track, but one that I love to go back to in order to remember the simpler times...

mjw

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #12 on: May 16, 2008, 08:35:34 PM »
Pine Hill is on former ski slopes, I believe, and it's one of the toughest courses I've ever played.

The Raven is West Virginia is an incredible layout, but is on the backside of Snowshoe Mountain (away from the slopes).  I still had to mention it....it's an absolute must play.

WW

Will MacEwen

« Reply #13 on: May 16, 2008, 08:59:48 PM »
I have a vision of someday skiing and golfing in the same day.  I'm thinking like Tahoe in the morning then down to Carson City for 18 holes in the afternoon.  Or vice-versa (i guess the afternoon lift ticket is cheaper...)

Anyone done that?

Lots of people used to ski the Whistler Glacier in July and golf the same day.

Bill Gayne

« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2008, 09:57:37 PM »
Anybody been to the Talisker Club at Deer Valley? The club has a skiing lodge with great access to the slopes but I'm not sure where the golf course is? I've only been there in the winter with everything covered in snow.

Jed Peters

« Reply #15 on: May 17, 2008, 09:38:50 AM »

Anyone done that?

Do it all the time, then again, we have a house at the base of Kingsbury grade (8 miles from heavenly one way, and 8 miles to genoa lakes the other....)

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #16 on: May 17, 2008, 09:49:45 AM »

Anyone done that?

I have a house at Bryce resort in the Virginia mountains.  It has a little ski hill and golf course and very often will ski a couple of hours in the morning and play golf and tennis in the afternoon.

In April a buddy and I have skied at Arapaho Basin for a few days and then drive to Denver and play golf.  Packing for the two is interesting.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

JWL

« Reply #17 on: May 17, 2008, 10:47:22 AM »
Not exactly "on the slopes" but part of the development....remember the name Moonlight Basin outside of Bozeman, Montana.   I think many here will like it....and then maybe not.  :-)   Stay tuned.

Craig Sweet

« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2008, 10:55:00 AM »
Tom Yost...we ski and golf at the same time all the time....typical closing for Montana Snowbowl is Masters Weekend....typical opening for golf in Missoula is 1st or 2nd week in March.....AND on top of that we have some amazing dry fly fishing in mid to late March on the Bitterroot and Clark Fork rivers!
LOCK HIM UP!!!

Bill_McBride

« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2008, 11:37:17 AM »

Anyone done that?

I have a house at Bryce resort in the Virginia mountains.  It has a little ski hill and golf course and very often will ski a couple of hours in the morning and play golf and tennis in the afternoon.

In April a buddy and I have skied at Arapaho Basin for a few days and then drive to Denver and play golf.  Packing for the two is interesting.

Tommy, my first two kids went to James Madison University, just down the Shenadoah from Bryce I think.  What is the name of the resort - oh year, Massanutten (or as the golfers called it, "Mass o' Nuttin").  Every played that?  A handful of good holes and some truly weird, funky ones.  I think there's skiing there too but golf and skiing not concurrent.

Matt_Ward

« Reply #20 on: May 17, 2008, 01:29:20 PM »
JWL:

Be curious to know when Moonlight Basin's 18-hole Nicklaus course will open. I had the pleasure on being on grounds in the summer of '06. Quite impressive site -- if memory serves, the actual layout will exceeed 8,000 yards from the tips.

Carl Nichols

« Reply #21 on: May 17, 2008, 01:38:35 PM »

As a Dartmouth alum, I have very fond memories of the uphill 14th, that plays from the landing area of what used to be the ski jump. HCC is certainly a tricked up track, but one that I love to go back to in order to remember the simpler times...

mjw

They closed the Dartmouth ski jump in the early/mid 90's because of safety concerns and because the top of the ski jump was one of the more renowned places on campus for a late-night rendezvous with a co-ed.  (It also wasn't ever used.)

I played the updated course last year, and they haven't touched that uphill par 3 -- which in my view was a great decision. 

John Chilver-Stainer

« Reply #22 on: May 17, 2008, 05:33:30 PM »
In the Alps there are a number of classic ski pistes that are used as a sort of cross country golf during the summer for special one-off events.
In Kitzbühl, Austria the famous Hahnenkamm Piste where the annual breathtaking downhill wows the crowds in snowy winter has a special golf event in the summer.
The start list looks much the same as a FIS Start list with names like Franz Klammer, Tony Seiler and Karl Schranz teeing up.

In Wengen, Switzerland a similar event is organised on the famous Lauberhorn piste.
Pirmin Zurbriggen and Bernhard Russi, both legendary down hill racers swop their skis for golf clubs.
I could imagine Lauberhorn multiple winner Bode Miller would turn up to play golf if invited

In Verbier an 18-Hole is terrassed out of the ski pistes. Golfers get a ride to the top of the piste and then golf their way down the hill.

In Zermatt a one-off golf event is organised under the shadow of the Matterhorn. The first tee plays from a cliff edge at 2900m above sea level. A real fun event that is booked out every year.

In Canton Wallis the golf courses in the valleys are often used by the ski stars training on the glaciers during the autumn months. In Spring a number of special golf-ski competitions are organised involving a ski race and a golf competition. These are more fun competitions than any kind of serious sport event.

Golf and Curling is also a popular combination competition - although by far the most popular combination with skis is Skinking - Skiing and Drinking.

Well I suppose Ginking is popular too!!!

JWL

« Reply #23 on: May 17, 2008, 07:11:18 PM »
Matt

We are hoping for a 2009 opening.
Very difficult site as you may have noticed, but gorgeous setting.
Lots of environmental restrictions.
Not sure what the final length will turn out to be, but we are over 9000 feet elevation, so some prodigious tee shots will be struck, especially on #17, a downhill Par 5 that will be right at 757......and still reachable by the likes of you.   :)

Allan Long

« Reply #24 on: May 17, 2008, 07:56:56 PM »

Tommy,

I have been to Bryce a couple of times with relatives who have a place there. I really like the remoteness of the resort. The course, albeit very short, is a fun time no doubt. That is really a special spot of the state.
I don't know how I would ever have been able to look into the past with any degree of pleasure or enjoy the present with any degree of contentment if it had not been for the extraordinary influence the game of golf has had upon my welfare.
--C.B. Macdonald

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back