News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Pat Burke

Re: Changes to the 6th green at Royal Melbourne (West)?
« Reply #25 on: December 06, 2013, 12:18:10 AM »
I played the (in)famous Australian Open on the composite course in 1987(?)

In the years since, I have never seen greens faster than that week.
When the US Presidents Cup team got waxed the first time at RM,
I was laughing at our announcers.  They were completely confused at how the
US team was actually playing better (in their minds) but getting out putted by
the International Team.  Having played there, it was pretty obvious to me,
that the Internationals were doing a much better job of leaving the ball in the correct spot
on the greens.  The US continued to aggressively attack hole locations, leaving "lay-up" putts, while the
Int Team had uphill free throws.

So, my recollection was the tournament speeds were unbelievably fast.  My non-tournament visits,
the greens were nowhere near as fast (on the late 80's-early 90's)
FYI
Tom, good luck there, a truly special place

Tom_Doak

« Reply #26 on: December 10, 2013, 03:36:06 AM »
Well, we did do a small amount of work to the 6th West green today while they were stripping the thatch out from underneath it.

I did not alter the front of the green or reduce the slope at the hole locations at all, but we did extend the hole locations a bit further back, by taking out a bit of soil through the back half of the green.  The biggest change was a cut of 7 mm (not quite 3 inches).

We also restored a bit of the ridge that used to cut into the green from the back right-center, and took out a small crown at the far left that had been introduced sometime after the oldest topo map, from 1989.

I do not think we have changed the playability of the hole for the professionals at all.  If they're short of the hole, it is the same as always; if they're long, their balls may not feed quite as far back to the hole, so they might actually face a longer downhill putt toward the front of the green.  What we have done, though, is to gain some area for hole locations, and to eliminate the weird effect where an approach played above the hole on the right might actually pick up so much speed as to blow by the hole location coming back and right off the green.  I think it's fair to assume that was not what Dr. MacKenzie had in mind.

[Sigh of relief]

Scott Warren

« Reply #27 on: December 10, 2013, 03:49:37 AM »
Thanks for the update Tom,

Sounds like the kind of sensible and sympathetic tinkering I was imagining when I started this thread.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2013, 04:10:15 AM by Scott Warren »

Don Jordan

« Reply #28 on: January 10, 2015, 11:09:58 PM »
A couple of images taken of the green on 31/12/14, it was the first time I had played the hole so cannot comment on how it did play before but it plays well now and I can't see any signs of the work which is always great.

« Last Edit: January 10, 2015, 11:13:40 PM by Don Jordan »

Matthew Mollica

« Reply #29 on: January 11, 2015, 05:23:25 AM »
You played it with a tough pin Don!

I think the consensus among the membership on the work to the 6th green is extremely positive. I often ask visitors if they can spot what has changed, and it is only those GCA regulars who were aware of this thread who are aware of any change. I often look at the small contour change and think it makes great sense when facing a putt from above the hole, to a front right pin.

I'll admit I was concerned when I heard the work was planned, but it has turned out very well indeed. In retrospect, Tom's earlier post drawing comparisons with open heart surgery should have told me all I needed to know.

MM
"The truth about golf courses has a slightly different expression for every golfer. Which of them, one might ask, is without the most definitive convictions concerning the merits or deficiencies of the links he plays over? Freedom of criticism is one of the last privileges he is likely to forgo."

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back