News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

John_Conley

StoneRidge GC - Stillwater, MN
« on: July 22, 2002, 12:49:10 AM »
This is mainly for Kelly, Shefchik, and McDowell, but feel free to respond if you know anything about it.
I've heard some wonderful things about StoneRidge.  (I don't think there is a space, even though there should be.)  Went to the internet site and looked at pictures and it looks awesome.  Is it as good as I hope?  I plan on playing there in August when I head home for a weekend.

Tentative plan is to head to Mill Run.  Anyone play that yet?  Also heard good things.  I think that is about 4 years old already but I haven't had the chance.  If I do go to Eau Claire I'll try the CC as well.

Since I have limited time I will be opting out of the following, unless you can convince me otherwise.
  Troy Burne
  TPC Blaine
  Dacotah Ridge (would love to see it, too far to drive)

Hope all is well.  If you guys were hoping to have a run at the Slam next month my apologies.

(I wanted to "Instant Message" these guys, but didn't know how to do it if I wasn't looking at a post they've already made.)

I think the site is www.stoneridgegc.com for anyone else interested in seeing photos.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

John_Conley

Re: StoneRidge GC - Stillwater, MN
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2002, 05:02:56 PM »
NONE of the Minnesota contingent want to respond.  I know Shefchik was on earlier.  As I said, I'd have instant messaged last night if I knew how to send to you without replying to a post.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2002, 05:21:27 PM »
John --

Not a matter of wanting to respond, or of not wanting to.

Haven't been here much lately. Didn't notice the thread. I'm a busy boy, getting ready for a week off.

I like StoneRidge just fine, because it has a dozen good or excellent holes. But I wouldn't go so far as to call it "wonderful" -- partly because of a few holes that I don't care for; partly because the setting isn't very inspiring (and despite the construction of enormous berms, it's LOUD from the traffic on 94); partly because the routing of the back side isn't the best for walking.

I've played Troy Burne only once, but I liked it better than StoneRidge.

Haven't yet visited the others on your list.

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2002, 05:30:45 PM »
John:

Sorry, missed your thread initially.

I've played StoneRidge a number of times, and among daily fee courses in the Twin Cities, it's one of my favorites, but I have to say it's not quite as good as it looks. Bobby Weed bills it as a "heathland" rather than "linksland" course, which I'm sure is more accurate, though I've never played a heathland course in the U.K.

I wrote a rather long descriptions/assessment of the course a few months ago under a thread about Bobby Weed courses, and I'm not going to rehash that here, but to my way of thinking they've tried to put links-style features on rolling pasture land. It looks great, but it doesn't always work, and the theme isn't consistent. Some of the better holes don't even adhere to the theme (the par 5 11th requires you to fit your drive between a big oak tree and a barn. Fun hole.)

No trees on the front 8 (you pass the clubhouse after the 8th hole and then proceed to #9). Fairways are tight and firm, in excellent condition; greens are large, some with much more contour than you'd expect to find on this style of course, very well maintained. Several greens are elevated and plateaued; you can run your ball up on some holes, but not on others, taking away some of the pleasure and usefulness of the fast-rolling fairways. Big waste areas and long native grass give the course a rugged look, but the fairways are wide and forgiving.

The ideal way to play the course is to walk the front and take a cart on the back; most of the holes on the back were built in and arround an old quarry, requring longer hikes between greens and tees. It's not as aesthetically pleasing as the front, either. I've always thought of the last four holes at StoneRidge as kind of a charmless slog.

I don't mean to be too negative here -- it's not the course I hoped it would be, but I enjoy playing it, and go back whenever I can.

I played Mill Run two years ago, just after it opened, and I'd go back again if I were in the Eau Claire area. Lots of steep elevation changes and a nice wooded section, though most of the holes are out in the open. It's pretty straightforward golf.

I prefer Troy Burne, if you haven't played there. They didn't go for the natural look the way StoneRidge did, but the holes define themselves extremely well, and unlike StoneRidge, I think Troy Burne gets better on the back 9. Bunkers and water frame the holes very well.

I haven't made the drive to Dacotah Ridge yet, either. I'm playing the TPC in Blaine for the first time next month. I hope some of this helps.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

John Foley

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2002, 05:30:59 PM »
John,

I played Troy Burne a few years ago and it had a few nice holes and the green sites had some nice movement to them. Not a bad place, but it's somewhat of a haul. StoneRidge was still under construction the last time I was in the twin cities often, but I do remeber seeing the site from 94 and it did look it had some potential.

My two cents for what it's worth.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Derek_L

« Reply #5 on: July 23, 2002, 03:34:05 AM »
John,

I played Troy Burne last Tuesday (as it is my home course) and despite all the rain we have had, it looks fantastic.  Some of the bunkers have been toned a bit I would guess to wash outs, but that is a given on those high flashes.  Let me know when you will be in town for sure and if you are interested maybe I can show you how Windsong is doing.  Also, if you are interested in a nice $50 course in northwester Wisconsin, give Siren Glen a try, it is in Siren, the home of last years deadly tornado.  Siren Glen is very unique, it appears tight as it was built on I beleive 160 acres or so.  It has 100 feet of elevation change, very, very few bunkers, a dozen or so I think.  Something else, when I toured it under construction a few years ago, there was not a lick of draintile going in teh ground.  The soil up there is extremly sandy!!!

Derek

Dan Kelly

« Reply #6 on: July 23, 2002, 12:12:50 PM »
John --

Before heading off to Siren Glen, check out Rick Shefchik's review, at www.twincities.com/mld/pioneerpress/sports/golf/3675068.htm
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:07 PM by -1 »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

John_Conley

« Reply #7 on: July 23, 2002, 03:20:31 PM »
Guys,
Thanks for all the replies.  I don't have time to get to Siren or Giant's Ridge or anything else too far from my parents house near Minneapolis.  Dad and I will go to Eau Claire to see WILD RIDGE at Mill Run for two reasons: a) he's from Eau Claire, and b) he's always loved the low-end, everyman appeal of the first Mill Run course.  I hope to take him over to see the Eau Claire CC, a course he never played because he didn't take up golf until after he moved away from Eau Claire in his 20s.

Troy Burne is better than StoneRidge??  Good news for me.  My largest client lives at Troy Burne and I am hoping to catch up with him after my round at Stone Ridge.  Instead of just touring the course I may have to play it too!

I fly in on the 8th and will tee it up on the 9th and 10th.  Fly out on Sunday at about 1:00 PM so I probably don't have time to play.  If anyone is looking for a game we may be able to schedule it.  Not sure how many of my friends can play those days.

JOHN

(Lash, my friend's house is under construction at Windsong and he's champing at the bit to move in.  I don't suspect I'll have time to get out that way to see the grow-in.  Walked it last fall and think I know how it'll look when ready for play.  I'll be anxious to play that in 2003 or whenever I get back!)

Jeff_McDowell

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2002, 04:56:12 PM »
I liked Stoneridge more than Rick did. I enjoyed the different look, wide fairways, multiple routes, and chipping areas around greens. I've only played it once, but would go back any time. It is close to the highway, and can get very loud. I've heard that from a number of people.

Troy Burne has some interesting holes that require decision making, which is fun. But the bunkering scheme is obnoxious. Everywhere you look is a big, ugly clover leafed bunker. It gets amazingly monotonous. However, it's worth a play.

Dacotah Ridge is the most forgettable course I've ever played. I played there a month a go, and can remember four holes. Unfortunately, I have to play there in August. I'd rather flush $60 down the toilet. At least my two year old would find that entertaining.

You can summarize Dacotah Ridge this way. Wide fairways with fairway bunkers left and right and green side bunkers left and right. Hit it down the middle, two putt, and move on to the next hole.

I've been to Wild Ridge at Mill Run a couple times during construction, but haven't been there since it opened. I'd like to hear what you think. The architect has similar philosophies to Tom Fazio.

John_Conley

« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2002, 05:45:53 PM »
Thanks, Jeff!   Cross Morton off the list!  I had such high hopes since the terrain is pretty good in that area.  Somehow the Rees Jones courses often botch the wide fairway theme.  Don't know why the execution of that design style is so difficult for his construction team.

I'm likely to play Wild Ridge and StoneRidge and take a gander at Eau Claire and Troy Burne.

TPC Blaine seems to be ho-hum from the review I got.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back