News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jordan Wall

Re: Pasatiempo
« Reply #50 on: May 01, 2008, 11:40:13 AM »
A side note: Steve birdied 14 out of the swale in our match, proving it can be done!

John,

I layed up on 6 and 13, and hit a hybird into the front bunker from 195 on #9.  If Mike hit 13 in two, those are two wonderful shots.

Tim,

You played a hell of a round!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #51 on: May 01, 2008, 11:44:12 AM »
Jordan:

I am amazed at the stories I've heard regarding play on #9.  Seems like every player I've heard from comfortably reached that in two shots, most with less than 3wood approaches. 

Given I have never reached that green in two shots... ever.... and I have played it 50+ times... I have to ask for sake of my masculinity...

a) did you all play the tips?  Were the tees up somehow?
b) was it downwind?
c) was the fairway running particularly firm?

Help a guy out here, bruthah.  I fully acknowledge that  guys like Benham and Spaulding are usually 50 yards past my best drive.  I have to assume a big strong youngin' like you is as long as them.  But I know I can keep up with Pieracci most times (though his best still gives me the Rondstadt)... and I heard he reached with a 5wood or something.

Last time there I got to 220 in and felt like I freakin' killed the ball.  Still didn't even try to carry the bunker up that mountain.  That's 220 playing 250 and that's out of my range.

Help!

;D

TH
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 11:46:05 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Tim Bert

« Reply #52 on: May 01, 2008, 12:05:14 PM »
Pieracci was definitely playing the tips and definitely put something up there in two.  I think the second shot was some type of wood.  The wind may have been helping slightly, but there was no strong wind to speak of.

Just a couple of really strong golf shots.  Sorry Huck!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #53 on: May 01, 2008, 12:13:49 PM »
Pieracci was definitely playing the tips and definitely put something up there in two.  I think the second shot was some type of wood.  The wind may have been helping slightly, but there was no strong wind to speak of.

Just a couple of really strong golf shots.  Sorry Huck!

Tim - "the wind was helping slightly"... I have also heard it was very firm.

My masculinity remains intact.

Thanks!

TH

JohnV

« Reply #54 on: May 01, 2008, 12:20:39 PM »
Anybody who hits it 290 or more without a massive downhill drop, concrete fairways or big wind behind them in NorCal anywhere near the Pacific is really, really long.   The ball just doesn't go... I don't think I hit a single ball that far except a couple of bladed wedges from the rock hard fairways at Pacific Grove....  ;D

Dave,

It probably wasn't 290, but you might remember the drive that went through your group while you were on the 4th green at Pacific Grove.

Sorry about that. ;)

John Mayhugh

« Reply #55 on: May 01, 2008, 12:52:13 PM »
Anybody who hits it 290 or more without a massive downhill drop, concrete fairways or big wind behind them in NorCal anywhere near the Pacific is really, really long.   The ball just doesn't go... I don't think I hit a single ball that far except a couple of bladed wedges from the rock hard fairways at Pacific Grove....  ;D

Dave,

It probably wasn't 290, but you might remember the drive that went through your group while you were on the 4th green at Pacific Grove.

Sorry about that. ;)
You mean the one that almost carried the green?   That's a pretty short hole considering I drove it hole high.

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #56 on: May 01, 2008, 01:18:43 PM »
Jordan:

I am amazed at the stories I've heard regarding play on #9.  Seems like every player I've heard from comfortably reached that in two shots, most with less than 3wood approaches. 

Given I have never reached that green in two shots... ever.... and I have played it 50+ times... I have to ask for sake of my masculinity...

b) was it downwind?

Help a guy out here, bruthah.  I fully acknowledge that  guys like Benham and Spaulding are usually 50 yards past my best drive.  I have to assume a big strong youngin' like you is as long as them.  But I know I can keep up with Pieracci most times (though his best still gives me the Rondstadt)... and I heard he reached with a 5wood or something.

Last time there I got to 220 in and felt like I freakin' killed the ball.  Still didn't even try to carry the bunker up that mountain.  That's 220 playing 250 and that's out of my range.

Help!

;D

TH

Tom, the tees were all the way back, it was about 75 degrees out, no wind. The fairways were firmer than I have ever seen them; which would constitute about 15 rounds. As much as we all long for F&F, I'm not sure it suits this course all that well. A poor driving day for me, but the 3-4 that came off the club decently left some offensive distances to the green.

On 9, I heeled a drive and hit a 4-iron to the back of the green, wherein normal for would be a solid drive/3 iron. Benham hit some form of a hybrid pin high just off the surface. Of course at that point we both vomited on each other and both made 5.
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

JohnV

« Reply #57 on: May 01, 2008, 01:21:56 PM »
Anybody who hits it 290 or more without a massive downhill drop, concrete fairways or big wind behind them in NorCal anywhere near the Pacific is really, really long.   The ball just doesn't go... I don't think I hit a single ball that far except a couple of bladed wedges from the rock hard fairways at Pacific Grove....  ;D

Dave,

Sorry about that. ;)
You mean the one that almost carried the green?   That's a pretty short hole considering I drove it hole high.

Yes, it is 265 and I got to the front fringe with a 3-wood with my provisional since I wasn't sure the first one stayed in bounds after it went over the bunker.  I think it hit the telephone pole to stay in bounds.

David Stamm

« Reply #58 on: May 01, 2008, 01:54:22 PM »
Jordan:

b) was it downwind?

Help!

;D

TH

Tom, the tees were all the way back, it was about 75 degrees out, no wind. The fairways were firmer than I have ever seen them; which would constitute about 15 rounds. As much as we all long for F&F, I'm not sure it suits this course all that well. A poor driving day for me, but the 3-4 that came off the club decently left some offensive distances to the green.

On 9, I heeled a drive and hit a 4-iron to the back of the green, wherein normal for would be a solid drive/3 iron. Benham hit some form of a hybrid pin high just off the surface. Of course at that point we both vomited on each other and both made 5.

When you told me what you hit into 10, it really made me think about your take on the firmness on the fw's.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tim Bert

« Reply #59 on: May 01, 2008, 02:07:04 PM »
Anybody who hits it 290 or more without a massive downhill drop, concrete fairways or big wind behind them in NorCal anywhere near the Pacific is really, really long.   The ball just doesn't go... I don't think I hit a single ball that far except a couple of bladed wedges from the rock hard fairways at Pacific Grove....  ;D

Dave,

Sorry about that. ;)

I'll field that apology since the ball came within a few feet of my head.  We'll call it even in exchange for the Poppy outing Thursday evening, which was a great time.  Thanks again!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #60 on: May 01, 2008, 02:13:14 PM »
Jon:  thanks.  Your exploits are legendary and I feel quite comfortable saying you play a game with which I am not familiar.  Benham reported what each of you had into 10 also, and that just adds to the legend.  In any case my questions of my masculinity do not occur when relating to behemoths like you guys; it was more the QUANTITY of people all reaching 9 that got me asking these questions.  And I got my answers.  I feel better now.

As for Pasa playing too firm and fast, well... I can't see that as being possible, not with the fairways anyway.  Remember Jon, us mortals don't hit the ball as far as you do.  So sure, it likely played too short for you... but it NEVER has for me, and I've played it as firm and fast as it can get.

Now the greens are another story, a point I've hammered way too much in here.

TH

Mike Benham

« Reply #61 on: May 01, 2008, 02:21:08 PM »

On 9, I heeled a drive and hit a 4-iron to the back of the green

Well that's deflating ...

Please tell me that your drive on #2 was solid ... please ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Jon Spaulding

« Reply #62 on: May 01, 2008, 02:56:08 PM »
MB; to maintain a fellow alum's sanity, the drive on #2 was the best I have ever hit a golf ball ;). I care more about a left-right movement on that hole than anything else. Contact be what it may. If I'm within 20 yards of you at your advanced age I will be more than satisfied.....:'(

TH; a solid drive on #10 left 105 to the green. Have hit the ball equivalently well there a number of times and the closest I've ever been was 140 in. On a wet day more like 160-170. Just a "different" course when the ball runs out that much but I prefer some of the shot values presented by the "normal" version. Of course that's the worst score I've had there in years, so length matters not. Must have been the constant pressure applied by a certain fellow with a full head of gray hair 8).
You'd make a fine little helper. What's your name?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #63 on: May 01, 2008, 03:01:33 PM »
Jon:

Only the steeliest of competitors can stand up to the Octagenerian Wonder without some slippage.

;D

As for the rest, look at it this way:  I have NEVER had less than 150 into that green, and like I say, I have played it in all conditions.  I say turn it screaming fast so the rest of us can experience what it's like to be you on a bad day.

In all seriousness, studs of your length really do remain a small minority - please do empathize with the rest of us.  My normal drive on 10 doesn't make it over the hill, and I have 200 or more in.  Now if it got so silly-fast that any ball that got over that hill rolled all the way down to the bottom just due to gravity, well then that would be too much.  I just don't see that as reality.  Something just short of that... seems to me Pasa would play very fun that way.  And if it's too short for you, well then.. you can go have your fun at 7300 yard Bayonet.

The main thing is this:  if they are going to err on a side at Pasa, wouldn't you want it on the firm/dry side? I have also played that course pudding-soft (though not so much in recent years) and that ain't much fun either.

TH
« Last Edit: May 01, 2008, 03:04:45 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #64 on: May 01, 2008, 03:04:47 PM »
Tom,

Jons tee ball landed WAYYYY over the hill on 10.....it was piped.  I was lucky enough to hit my drive to the top of the hill and "only" have 210 in.

And if Jon hit a heeled shot on 9, then please if there is a God out there, may I please please please have his heeled tee shots.   ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #65 on: May 01, 2008, 03:07:05 PM »
Tom,

Jons tee ball landed WAYYYY over the hill on 10.....it was piped.  I was lucky enough to hit my drive to the top of the hill and "only" have 210 in.

And if Jon hit a heeled shot on 9, then please if there is a God out there, may I please please please have his heeled tee shots.   ;D

If one can carry that hill then yes, Pasa is too short of a course in any sort of dry conditions.  So for Jon, it plays better a little wetter. I get that.  I am also a poet and I know it.

I just refuse to believe that a fine Santa Clara man like Jon would be so selfish as to advocate changing the conditions solely because they don't work so well for him, denying fun and pleasure for the rest of the golf world.   He is after all not Jon Kavanaugh.

David Stamm

« Reply #66 on: May 01, 2008, 05:53:47 PM »
I've played with Spaulds long enough to where I'm numb anymore. Still, there are times where I just shake my head in disbelief.

"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #67 on: May 01, 2008, 05:55:27 PM »
I've played with Spaulds long enough to where I'm numb anymore. Still, there are times where I just shake my head in disbelief.

Very wise, very sane.

The man damn well better bring it come Monday.  If I get one shot within 100 yards of his the "weakstick" chants will be unmerciful.

;D

David Stamm

« Reply #68 on: May 01, 2008, 05:59:38 PM »
I have faith in the man. Besides all the distance, he has a hell of a short game.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #69 on: May 01, 2008, 06:22:37 PM »
I have faith in the man. Besides all the distance, he has a hell of a short game.

Oh I have faith in him also.  Plus handicaps speak loudly to me.  I have also heard nothing but legends, however... and since he's on my team (it's two best balls out of four and the other poor saps are Pieracci and Benham), well... let's just say that I have rather high expectations.... and a rather loud way of expressing myself if such are not met.

;D ;D

Kalen Braley

« Reply #70 on: May 01, 2008, 06:26:44 PM »
How about switching gears here for a 2nd...yes yes we all know Spaulding can hit the ball a looooooog way, even on heeled shots.

Any thoughts on 3?  Is it over the top?  Too severe?  I took a 4 there and felt as giddy as a school boy.  Spaulding his a hybrid to 25 feet and made the putt for 2...but as JK puts it enough of the man love.

With bunkers, left, short, right, and long.  And considering it plays very much long and uphill, is that par 3 too severe?

Please take it easy on me, I am but a humble first time Pasa player over the weekend.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #71 on: May 01, 2008, 06:31:11 PM »
Good switch.  I've put enough pressure on the man who shall be carrying me come Monday.

SO... is #3 too severe?

I suppose if you believe one has a god-given right to make a fair and reasonable par on every one shot hole one plays, it is too severe.  It is long, it is uphill, the target is relatively small, and the hazards are many.

However, just as at a certain hole down the coast with a certain Isthmus, the Good Doctor has provided a means for those who have no such beliefs to make a relatively easy four:  just bunt one up the left side, pitch it on, two putts.  It's pretty simple in that respect.

So no, I don't think it's either over the top or too severe.  What I think is that it's a very difficult hole to reach in one shot.  But it's also beautiful and thrilling and inspiring.... and I do love it so.

TH

Kalen Braley

« Reply #72 on: May 01, 2008, 06:36:17 PM »
Damn it Tom...

I hate when you do that, took all the wind out of my sails, hard to argue against that line of thinking.   ;)

No doubt, its a thrilling hole and a helluva awesome looking thing as you first see it coming down the 2nd fairway.  Don't you think it would have been at least somewhat nice to give at least a little leeway and let players try to bounce in off the hill side on the high side?

After all with that bunt driver, even thats not very feasible because you still have to clear the top-shot bunker. I guess Dr. MacK just felt like being evil from time to time so he came up with that hole..   ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #73 on: May 01, 2008, 06:46:04 PM »
As for the central crossing bunker, I firmly believe that is neat and well-placed and a fantastic part of the recent restoration.  It gives those who want to play it as a two shotter - or those without much distance off the tee - the same sort of thrill longer hitters get by getting all the way on to the green.  It's a neat challenge for those types.  For the longer players it doesn't exist except as a neat visual.  I also don't think it complicates things too much for those who want to bunt and punt... while still giving this small thrill. I like it.

But great question re the left side bunkers.  Having seen an ostensibly great shot end up in one of those fairly recently, I was cursing The Good Doctor's name.

But only briefly.

Picture that hole with no bunkers at all on the left. 

The shot then would be all about power with little reward for accuracy.  Oh, it would still be fun - and a lot more people would have score success - but really all it would take is the power to reach the top of the hill, and assuming one stayed left, the green would be one's reward.

I don't see that as an improvement over the hole as it is.

It's unique and tough and a stone bitch to hit, yet still allowing a relatively simple four as it is... with length AND ACCURACY being tested.

Remove the bunkers and really all you test is length.

So no, as is damn near always the case, I must side with the professionals and state that I believe the Good Doctor knew what he was doing putting those bunkers there.

It is an interesting thought though.

TH

David_Elvins

« Reply #74 on: May 01, 2008, 06:47:23 PM »
This has to be one of the most severe, ridiculous, tough, unfair pin positions in golf.  I loved it. 

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back