News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

Great use of the ground game
« on: July 24, 2002, 01:24:33 PM »
Looking back on my pictures from Cape Breton Highlands, I found one that shows one of the wonderful green complexes that allows a plethora of options.

The hill can be used whether you are a great distance from the hole to sling shot, or in any number of scenarios when chipping.  The hill also provides protection for shots landing short offline (they kick to either side) and front pins.

But, is it in the better interest of the better player use such slope?  Not really, because it adds variables.

Therefore, is its lack of use by good players a maintenance issue (firmer/faster might force their hand), or a lack of imagination in the North American style?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

THuckaby2

Re: Great use of the ground game
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2002, 01:36:54 PM »
Great question and great picture with a perfect example, Ben.

To me it's a maintenance issue, plain and simple - I don't think it's lack of imagination at all.  I'm not a highly skilled player, but even I wouldn't mess with those humps - flying right over them and getting the ball to stop is the play unless it absolutely can't be done - you said it - why introduce variables?  What's the advantage?

But if the green is so firm and fast that a ball won't stop no matter what... then the game is on... and all the choices are available - how do you try and turn the humps to your advantage???  

Absent that though I just don't see why anyone would try and use the humps - it's just not a smart play.

And isn't this how the pros view "the ground game"?  Given their incredible skill at making the ball stop, why in the heck would they ever introduce these variables?  What's the advantage?

Great question in any case.

TH

THuckaby2

« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2002, 01:44:12 PM »
Perfecto, shivas!  Yes... get it closer and be able to stop it via short iron, don't and suffer through the pachinko machine.  Now THAT is good use of the "ground game."

Any holes come to mind that are like that?  I'm slow today, can't think of any.  They must exist.

TH

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2002, 01:44:33 PM »
Thanks Tom, that is exactly what I meant by maintenance, if they make this green firm you would have to land it short, because you playing from a fair distance.

The advantage of the slope (unwittingly) might be that it helps average players get to the green because they can use the slope to run the ball in the last bit.

The hole is said to be 435 yards (though Joe Robinson thinks it is longer) so the average player might well use the slope.

I think for the better players (the Ran's of the world) it comes into play more on the chipping, in which case it still provides a wonderful set of options.  Yet some pro's would undoubtedly throw up a spinning LW, I guess firm and fast is the answer again.

THuckaby2

« Reply #4 on: July 24, 2002, 01:52:58 PM »
Ben - seems to me the hole in question works very well for the greatest number of people - screw the pros!  Designing for them is folly if there ever was any.  In the end though it still seems to me that those who can fly it in and stop it, those who can't take their chances with the humps.  Given the length and difficulty of this hole, it's very cool to me that the humps help with green-side shots for us mortals... All in all this seems like one damn fine golf hole.

Just in general, the ground game doesn't apply to those who can avoid it, wouldn't you say?  I still like shivas' idea where the strategy starts at the tee.  If this hole at CBH were firm and fast, it might well qualify, no?  That is a big bomber could get it to less than 150, where he has a wedge he can get over the humps and make stop... If the fairway were tight enough to give this some risk, then this hole qualifies, no?

TH

David_Elvins

« Reply #5 on: July 24, 2002, 01:58:57 PM »
If I may interject with a rather obvious question.  What is the wind like at Cape Breton.  Is there a strong prevailing wind?  What direction would it blow on this hole?  This has to be considered when discussing ground game vs aerial game options. No?

Ask not what GolfClubAtlas can do for you; ask what you can do for GolfClubAtlas.

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #6 on: July 24, 2002, 02:04:24 PM »
The strategy does lie on the tie.  A split level fairway that offers a flat, elevated lie if you hit the fade off the tee, thus making it easier to come in with the aerial attack.  The lower left side plays level and longer, thus making the possibility of a longer shot that must deal with the slope.  See the difference in the first picture of where Ran is on the right and the fairway left.

Here are two more, one twenty yards short and the other from the elevated right side at the 200 yard marker.

THuckaby2

« Reply #7 on: July 24, 2002, 02:48:40 PM »
PERFECT!  Didn't someone once make a comment about how many words a picture is worth?  This hole seems to fit our purposes just perfectly.  Now if they only get it firm and fast all questions are answered.

Thanks, Ben!

TH

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #8 on: July 24, 2002, 08:34:48 PM »
To answer David's question first, the wind blows towards the green, more from the angle of the right side of the fairway, than the tee.  Another reason to use the ground game.

There is no doubt that this hole is great, but with a move back to the old bunkers, some tree clearing (which is difficult in the national park), this hole could be really special.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back