News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dan Herrmann

Re: Views vs Golf
« Reply #50 on: May 29, 2008, 12:51:19 PM »
Willie - I was looking through old posts with zero replies trying to find a gem or two.  I think I succeeded :)

Jim_Kennedy

« Reply #51 on: May 29, 2008, 02:15:59 PM »
Huck,

The emoticon in my post should have been a  ;D instead of a  ???
"I never beat a well man in my life" - Harry Vardon

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #52 on: May 29, 2008, 02:26:55 PM »
Huck,

The emoticon in my post should have been a  ;D instead of a  ???

I kinda figured that upon the re-read.  Good stuff, my friend.

You're a New Englander, correct?  Well... life-long Laker fan here.  Hopefully we have something to discuss next week besides golf.

;D

Jed Peters

« Reply #53 on: May 29, 2008, 02:45:23 PM »
I just skimmed this thread, but I will add this--

If a course has NO views, there better be some pretty amazing architecture to elevate it to any kind of a worthwhile GCA conversation....

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #54 on: May 29, 2008, 04:09:22 PM »
Jed - One could say that Merion West has better views than East.  But there's no way West is a better golf course.  Needless to say, East has amazing architecture.

Likewise, Oak Hill sits in a pretty area surrounded in part by Monroe Ave's strip malls and a big Wegmans.  But there is amazing architecture there too.

John Foley

« Reply #55 on: May 29, 2008, 04:48:27 PM »
Dan - Thanks for the catch. I was not very observant.

Willie - glad to see you enjoyed it. -I'd recomend it to anyone in the NE area - it's really that good.
Integrity in the moment of choice

Willie_Dow

« Reply #56 on: May 29, 2008, 09:03:15 PM »
Thanks for bringing back my thoughts .  All of you guys (and girls) on here have been thru a few of what I would call of concerns about this web site, and how it has been laid out.  But to have Dan pick out something as far back as "then", and make a view so important suggests something that Ran had in mind.

Thank you, Monsieur

Tom_Doak

« Reply #57 on: May 29, 2008, 09:13:10 PM »
I do remember being out in Bandon one time when the place was entirely fogged in for two days and yet people loved playing the courses.  I remember one guy telling me that for all he knew, "the ocean was just a giant sound effect," but he loved the golf courses.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #58 on: May 29, 2008, 09:39:30 PM »
Willie - It's my privilege.  And that's exactly the spirit that I was going for.

Tom - Yeah, fog IS a mystical experience at Bandon - even more so if it's not terribly windy.  I used to love driving to the Oregon coast after a tough day at work (Cannon Beach was the usual destination) and just walking the beach - fog added to the experience...  But it made for a fun trip back to Beaverton.

Tim Bert

« Reply #59 on: May 30, 2008, 12:08:00 AM »
We played Pacific Dunes 4-8 in a dense fog that blasted in from way off the coast and then blasted right out.  It was a really cool feel on a great stretch of holes.  Might have been disappointing it were to be the only time I got to play the course, but I had played it enough previously to enjoy this as a different experience.  A few foggy photos to follow on the Pacific Dunes thread as we get to those holes.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #60 on: May 30, 2008, 08:26:06 AM »
Tim - you missed the sense of terror you might have had if your ball ended up on #4 over by the cliff.  As one that's afraid of heights, that's one view I could have done without.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #61 on: May 30, 2008, 12:24:45 PM »
I do remember being out in Bandon one time when the place was entirely fogged in for two days and yet people loved playing the courses.  I remember one guy telling me that for all he knew, "the ocean was just a giant sound effect," but he loved the golf courses.

And THAT is the mark of true greatness - that is, that little of the fun or joy is removed when the views are obscured.  The same could be said for Pebble Beach, or at least I think so.

But in saying this, it in no way means that views do not matter AT ALL.  The very best stand on their own without them, of course.  But to say they don't matter at all when they are available is to really miss the spirt of golf, I think.  I go back to Dan Kelly's eloquent questions at the beginning of this thread.

TH

Willie_Dow

« Reply #62 on: May 30, 2008, 09:01:58 PM »
Yes - Tom

I'm sure Ben Hogan didn't concern himself with the views around Merion during his final round !

But I'm sure those who watched his triumph felt something ?

Willie

Dave Givnish

« Reply #63 on: June 04, 2008, 12:32:52 PM »
Can anyone think of a course with great views and so-so architecture?  Where you'd just as soon take a walk along the grounds as play golf.

Estancia (Scottsdale)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back