News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brad Swanson

Congregation areas
« on: June 03, 2008, 06:01:42 PM »
I've been thinking about a golf course feature that kmoum brought up in the recent Sand Hills/Wild Horse thread, areas of golf courses that have a confluence of activity.  At Greywalls the 10th green, 17th green, 18th tee, 11th tee is one such area, as is the 9th green 10th tee 1st tee/practice green.  As much as I used to think that isolation of golf holes as a positive on a golf course, I'm starting to appreciate how deft design can bring groups together on a golf course in a safe manner.  The chance to "perform" in front of a small gallery is always fun, as is the shame one must endure when failing to perform in such circumstances.  These opportunities also give the player an alternate view of a hole that they may never take the time to see if they simply hustle on to their next shot or the next tee to make sure they play their round in the GCA sanctioned 2 hours.

Thoughts on if this type of feature is designed on purpose or just happens by chance as well as other examples would be much appreciated.

Cheers,
Brad
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 06:06:45 PM by Brad Swanson »

Paul Carey

Re: Congregation areas
« Reply #1 on: June 03, 2008, 06:08:09 PM »
I agree.  I enjoy when players on non consecutive holes run into each other to watch a shot, give a shout, etc.  I am not sure "congregation areas is the right term because more than a quick shout or a look can really slow up play.  I love Pine Valley but the absolute segregation of every hole is a bit much.

I also think this works best at a private club where the players are more likely to know the other players.

Mike Nuzzo

« Reply #2 on: June 03, 2008, 06:15:25 PM »
Triangulation creates congregations areas.
I love them.

A course I've been working on has a few of them...
Thinking of Bob, Rihc, Bill, George, Neil & Tiger.

Jim Sweeney

« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2008, 06:28:49 PM »
It's one of the features that, in my mind at least, makes MidPines special. If I can get them straight- 6 green, 7 tee, 16 green and17 tee are all located right in the middle of the property, and players walk past one another to get to the next hole, so you all sort of cross. Areas like thiese are excellent for actively practicing etiquette- decorum is needed. The baffoon who acts like the rapture is upon him because he made a fifty foot putt for bogey will be shunned. Awareness of one's surroundings and appropriate respect for nearby players will be rewarded.
"Hope and fear, hope and Fear, that's what people see when they play golf. Not me. I only see happiness."

" Two things I beleive in: good shoes and a good car. Alligator shoes and a Cadillac."

Moe Norman

Doug Sobieski

« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2008, 07:59:55 PM »
The first example that comes to my mind is another Devries design, the portion on the front at Kingsley where 1,2,5,6 come together (I think that's right). I love that area around 2 tee where you can see so much of the front nine.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2008, 08:04:01 PM »
Aren't they driven by factors other than "congregation," for example returning nines back to the clubhouse and taking maximal advantage of a landform?

Two examples I like are St George's Hill for an illustration of the former and Meadow Club for an example of the latter.

Mark

PS hopefully our resident congregation area expert will see this thread. Paging Tommy W....

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #6 on: June 03, 2008, 08:16:34 PM »
It's one of the features that, in my mind at least, makes MidPines special. If I can get them straight- 6 green, 7 tee, 16 green and17 tee are all located right in the middle of the property, and players walk past one another to get to the next hole, so you all sort of cross. Areas like thiese are excellent for actively practicing etiquette- decorum is needed. The baffoon who acts like the rapture is upon him because he made a fifty foot putt for bogey will be shunned. Awareness of one's surroundings and appropriate respect for nearby players will be rewarded.

Jim that is exactly the location that comes to mind.

This picture is taken from the #16 green.  Basically the #16 green, #17 tee, and # 6 green and #7 tee are all with in 100 feet of each other...

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #7 on: June 03, 2008, 10:26:01 PM »
You guys need to find a new word.  Whenever I see a "congregation" I usually have a sermon in hand.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Brad Swanson

« Reply #8 on: June 03, 2008, 10:40:57 PM »
No offense, but people can congregate in a non religious fashion, can they not?  It seems from looking up the word on dictionary.com that this is not an incorrect use of the word.  What else would be a more appropriate phrase?  Gathering areas? collection areas (boy that's loaded with multiple possible meetings), regions of humanoid confluence?  Now, if you have something to add, by all means, please do. :)

Cheers,
Brad
« Last Edit: June 03, 2008, 10:43:50 PM by Brad Swanson »

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #9 on: June 03, 2008, 11:13:52 PM »
Brad

Happy to help.  I think "concourse" is the action you're looking for.  If you don't like that, a second possibility is "confluence," which speaks to the dynamism in your observation, namely the flow of golfers through a routing.

Fluvially not alluvially,
Your obediently etymological servant,
Mark

J_ Crisham

« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 12:05:01 AM »
Beverly CC in Chicago has a nice congregation area on the back nine. The 11th green, 12th tee,  15th tee , 14th green, and two sets of tees on 17 are in close proximity. Great place to see who's holding up the pace of play! ;D

Joe Hancock

« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2008, 01:00:37 AM »
You guys need to find a new word.  Whenever I see a "congregation" I usually have a sermon in hand.

After reading the thread title, I was thinking of you and Oakmont simultaneously.

Joe
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back