News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Mike_Cirba

The Resurrection of Aronimink
« on: July 14, 2002, 11:56:11 PM »
Donald Ross, in the mid 40s and close to the end of his life, visited Aronimink and said, "I intended to make this course my masterpiece.  Not until today did I realize that I built better than I knew".

Now, salesmanship aside, not many people in modern times have been able to determine the veracity of that statement.  Extensive revisions to the course over the years by Dick Wilson (prior the the 62 PGA), George and Tom Fazio, and most extensively, Robert Trent Jones in preparation for the 1990's PGA Championship that never happened had effectively reduced the course to a Donald Ross routing with modern-style bunkering.  Thankfully, the excellent greens were never changed much over the years.

I'm happy to report that Aronimink is back, thanks to a membership decision to return the course to its Ross roots.  Architect Ron Prichard was brought in to bring the course back to the original Ross layout, including everything from foreshortened "top-shot" bunkering (such as on 13), to wonderful, diagonal bunkers 50 yards short of the green (such as on 3) that have new meaning when one finds the rough from the tee.  Fairways have been widened, modern "fronting" bunkers have been removed, and Superintendent Rick Holanda has committed to providing firm and fast conditions.

On the face of it, one might think that these changes might somehow weaken the demands of this championship course.  But, one would be wrong.  Aronimink has always been a challenge, and remains so, only with somewhat different criteria.  

Significant length is still a major factor, with the course playing at 7,152 yards to a par of 70 from the tips, although a more manageable and fun challenge can be had from the middle tees at 6502.  However, the new, revised bunkering, particularly in the fairway, is lethal.  Prichard built steep, grass-walled bunkers that are as difficult as anything I've seen.  Many times the best option is an explosion back to the fairway, and given Ross's varied and staggered bunkers (as opposed to Jones's "pinched-in" bunkers only in the landing area for the top players) at all lengths from the tee, one has to carefully consider the minefield of problems confronting them from the tee before just slinging away.  

The members, while conceding that the course now plays more difficult for most of them, seem enormously pleased and proud of the changes, and there is little question that it's a much more interesting and strategic course for most golfers than before.  Many holes now again accommodate a running approach, which is a necessity for reasonable golf at that length.  

It was my first time seeing Aronimink, and I was really surprised on what a superb piece of rolling property it sits upon.  There are also any number of really good holes, including some medium length par fours that utilize the property really well such as 2, 6, 7, and 11, and a set of greens that are almost too severe at modern green speeds given some hole locations.  I'm sure Ross didn't envision them stimping at 12-13, but knowing their intense speeds sure has one thinking on the approach.

From a challenge standpoint, Aronimink is one of those courses that could hold a US Open tomorrow.  It has a fierce combination of length, strategic demands, and mind-bending greens that would hold up to the games of the world's best.

Still, two criticisms that I think hold true...one probably since inception, and the other related to the recent restoration work.

First, although Aronimink is clearly a superb course, with generally excellent restoration work, it has little of the variety and memorability that one associates with the greatest courses.  I'd struggle to call any one individual hole "great", although most are very, very good.  It just lacks some of the creative sophistication and surprise that many Ross courses do, until one gets to the greens.  For instance, I think most here would enjoy a course like Plainfield (another recently restored Ross course) more than Aronimink for the greater variety.

Second, and this is a purely aesthetic criticism, I found the bunker surrounds to be of the "puffy, sodded" variety that seem to be the non de plume of a particularly prolific course construction contracting company whose work seems to be showing up everywhere these days.  To be frank, too much of their work makes the previously unique and varied bunkers of so many courses look almost exactly the same, sans shape and depth.  Bunker styles machine-stamped out like bottle caps are NOT where restoration work should be heading.

Still and all, it was a real pleasure to see Aronimink returned to its heritage.  The club should be given every commendation and respect for their chosen direction, which I think most everyone on GCA would heartily applaud.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:07 PM by -1 »

Patrick_Mucci

Re: The Resurrection of Aronimink
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2002, 12:17:24 AM »
Mike Cirba,

It's nice to know that the club chose the path of restoration for their golf course.

Perhaps this will signal other courses to follow in their footsteps.

Has the club contracted for a substantive tournament ?
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #2 on: July 15, 2002, 12:21:58 AM »
Patrick;

They are hosting the 2003 PGA Senior's Championship, playing at about 6,800 yards.  

Paul Richards

« Reply #3 on: July 15, 2002, 12:23:03 AM »
Mike:

Do you have any photos of the restoration of Aronimink?
We'd love to see some posted!
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2002, 12:27:07 AM »
Mike Cirba,

The TV exposure should be great for the cause of restorations everywhere.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #5 on: July 15, 2002, 01:15:50 AM »
Patrick;

I completely agree.  Hopefully, the telecast will cite some of the differences in the individual holes from the way they used to play to how they have been restored!  

The changes have been extensive, and the course seems much the better for it.  :)

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2002, 01:27:16 AM »
Paul,

Unfortunately, I pulled my camera from my bag only to find that the batteries had died an untimely death.  

In many ways, the course is quite visually impressive, although more for the way the land is utilized than from any particular architectural features.

Besides length, most of what makes up the challenge at Aronimink probably defies pictorial evaluation anyway, I'd suspect.  For instance, I can't imagine how one would effectively photograph the severity of the 11th green, where one needs to putt at almost a 90 degree angle to keep the ball on the surface from beyond a front pin, or the interest of the 15th, where the right to left slope of the fairway is almost imperceptible until one realizes that getting to a left-side hole location is impossible from anywhere but the right-hand side, or the fact that one has to shave their drive so closely to the left-hand bunkers on the 2nd to avoid falling off sharply to the right on the uphill tee shot.

It is not a course that makes it's challenge obviously self-evident.

Brian Phillips

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2002, 07:43:15 AM »
I played the course with TEPaul and what a swing that man has.  It makes me sick!!

I didn't play that well but did manage one birdie on the day. I also agree with Mike that the course is wonderful but it felt the same all the way round.  There isn't anything spectacular that makes you remember one particular hole.  Some of the strategy on the holes was very good on others I didn't understand the bunkering.

I have quite a few pictures but I am crap at remembering how to post the bloody things...

If someone can send me an e-mail explaining how to do it I can post pictures from the following courses:

Aronimink
The Belfry...not really worth it
Sand Hills
Hidden Creek...if I get permission from Mr. Hansen
Sunningdale Old
Gulph Mills...if TEPaul gives me the nod
Merion East
Merion West...one of the most underated courses i know

and last but not least some pictures from the course I have designed and is under construction now...

Tommy has explained before but I have lost his e-mail.  I need the explanation in basic..basic steps.. ;D

Cheers Brian
Bunkers, if they be good bunkers, and bunkers of strong character, refuse to be disregarded, and insist on asserting themselves; they do not mind being avoided, but they decline to be ignored - John Low Concerning Golf

Paul Richards

« Reply #8 on: July 15, 2002, 08:52:56 AM »
Brian:

If you can post those pics, it would be great! ;)
"Something has to change, otherwise the never-ending arms race that benefits only a few manufacturers will continue to lead to longer courses, narrower fairways, smaller greens, more rough, more expensive rounds, and other mechanisms that will leave golf's future in doubt." -  TFOG

Ed_Baker

« Reply #9 on: July 15, 2002, 11:44:29 AM »
Golfs Most Beloved is playing Aronimink on Wednesday 7/17 with digicam in hand, a course profile will be forthcoming. Rumor has it that Ran is playing with two architecture junkies from Boston and the restoration chairman.

Famous quote from the Aronimink restoration chairman:

Member,  " Were those bunkers that you removed Donald Ross?"

Restoration Chairman, " No, they were Betsy Ross!"

Should be a lively day of discussion!

Matt_Ward

« Reply #10 on: July 15, 2002, 01:35:14 PM »
Mike C:

Agree with your take on Aronimink -- "First, although Aronimink is clearly a superb course, with generally excellent restoration work, it has little of the variety and memorability that one associates with the greatest courses.  I'd struggle to call any one individual hole "great", although most are very, very good.  It just lacks some of the creative sophistication and surprise that many Ross courses do, until one gets to the greens.  For instance, I think most here would enjoy a course like Plainfield (another recently restored Ross course) more than Aronimink for the greater variety."

Mike, I've played the course three times over the years -- the last being right after Jones got down with it. I'd like to see how things have changed since then because I view Aronimink as just a long boring stroll with no real memorable holes that stand out. I'd opt for Plainfield as my first choice.

(I hope the statement above is heard by all of my "friends" on GCA who think Ward is only interested in teeing it up on 7,500 yard plus courses.) ;D

Given your propensity to see the glass is "half full" I hope to see the course before the '03 Sr. PGA to see if Aronimink is truly back. I do give the club immense credit in hiring Ron Pritchard -- given his work at other Ross courses I'm sure he has served the club well.

Aronimink puts you under the gun in hitting long and straight drives -- do that and you will gain the upper hand on most holes there. In my previous visits I just thought the issue of "character" was lacking. A future visit may prove otherwise.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #11 on: July 15, 2002, 03:21:34 PM »

Famous quote from the Aronimink restoration chairman:

Member,  " Were those bunkers that you removed Donald Ross?"

Restoration Chairman, " No, they were Betsy Ross!"

Bakey4:

The famous quote from my restoration chairman was:

"Member - What is that fescue field on 10 - that could not be Donald Ross
Restoration Chairman - Of course not, that's Betsy Ross"

Only in Phila.

To all who are looking for pictures Ran himself will be there on Wed. 7/17 with yours truly and Ed Baker.  
Ran, I'm sure will take plenty of pictures.

As one who has been a member for 24 years I am thrilled with the restoration work.  Kudos to all who were involved.  This is a terrific golf course.

Fairways and Greens,

Dave

Paul Richards

« Reply #12 on: July 15, 2002, 07:59:17 PM »
Dave:

A good friend of mine has RAVED about Aronimink and the changes that Prichard has done there.  

I can't wait to see Ran's photos of his visit there!

Ben Cowan-Dewar

« Reply #13 on: July 15, 2002, 08:29:05 PM »
Another great step, looking forward to the profile.

Brian,
Email me, I will give you the information, it would be great to see those courses.

Best
Ben

TEPaul

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2002, 11:07:46 PM »
We need more stern architectural analysts on this site like Brian Phillips.

Whether you agree with him or not he definitely says it like he sees it--and that's a very good thing!

Aronomink has been through a real modern age cycle and now its back as good as it ever was! It's always been a real Pennsylvania parkland course.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #15 on: July 16, 2002, 04:15:41 PM »
Mike Cirba:

When you played Aronimink recently I would be curious to know what your thoughts were on the fescue field on the right side of 10 just short of the green and across from the re-stored pond.

Also I would be interested in your thoughts on the shaving of the greenside slope on the left side of 17 just above the pond extension that was done in the early 90's.  At one time there was a greenside bunker in the face at this point.  I don't think, but I'm not sure, this bunker was original.  Do you think Donald Ross would have designed this severe a penalty on this hole?

Cheers,

Dave

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #16 on: July 16, 2002, 04:46:21 PM »
Dave;

Sure, I'll give you my opinion of both.  

The fescue off to the right on 10 is certainly not very congruous with Ross's design style.  The problem is that those bailing far right to avoid the pond that sits front left (very similar to 11 at ANGC) would be left with an extremely difficult pitch back anyway, with the pond looming beyond.  Trying to hit a knuckle-ball out of that stuff as a recovery seems a bit harsh.

The shape of the water hazard on 17 is also not original, but it appears to be permanent.  I looked at an original overhead, and the pond had stopped well short of the green.  One of the revision architects (RTJ Sr., I would guess, given the holes current similarity to 16 at ANGC) extended the pond up to the green on and slightly along the left side.  

As you mentioned, the steep bank from green to water has been shaved, ala 15 or 12 at ANGC.  A left-hand pin position is therefore extremely demanding, and I'd look to see it there on Sunday during next year's Senior PGA.  

In this case, since players have the option of bailing out right or even playing to the center of the green, I don't mind it all that much, to be honest.  I certainly don't think of it as a Donald Ross-type feature, but since there are few forced carries at Aronimink, it does add a little spice.  

What do you think?  
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:07 PM by -1 »

Doug Wright

« Reply #17 on: July 16, 2002, 05:00:28 PM »
I was in Minneapolis yesterday playing Minikahda (Ross, 1917)when I happened to spot a gentleman standing off to the side of the par 3 6th green with a notebook in his hand. So I wandered over to see what he was doing. He said he was working on the restoration and making some notes and sketches. I said, "Do you know Ron Prichard." He said "I am Ron Prichard!" So we proceeded to have a very nice chat about the restoration he's doing there at Minikahda, which starts in earnest in August and ends next spring though some good work's been done already in the tree removal dept. Unprompted, Ron asked if I new about GolfClubAtlas and I said, "Of course, that's how I know all about you!" He mentioned the upcoming soiree with TE Paul and others. Sounds great--he's a real fine gentleman, and I enjoyed meeting him. I'm looking forward to seeing Minikahda after Ron's work is done. It's a great course now, and promises to be a jewel when he's done with it.

All The Best,
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Dave_Miller

« Reply #18 on: July 16, 2002, 07:16:22 PM »
Mike:

The fescue on #10, in my opinion, does not belong.  It does not fit with the style of the golf course.  In addition the hole is difficult enough with the pond.  Even a bail out to the right requires a very difficult chip and sometimes over the bunker to a very difficult green.  The other problem with the fescue is it is really not even possible to hit a knuckle ball out of there.  Balls that catch this are generally gone-lost.  To me this only serves the purpose of slowing down play and taking away the possibility of a very good recovery shot to still make par.  I believe Donald Ross would have wanted to allow this possibility.

The pond extension on #17 I don't care for only because it is not original.  I also do not care for the current maintenance trend of shaving the green slope.  

Again I feel even with the pond Donald Ross would have allowed a ball that made it over cleanly to have a chance at recovery.  To me the penalty is too severe.  However this is the current thinking and could obviously change in the future as far as the maintenance goes.

While I would have liked to have seen the pond re-stored, as you say it is not so bad with the bail out areas and the fact that there are few forced carries.

Fairways and Greens,

Dave

John_McMillan

« Reply #19 on: July 16, 2002, 10:09:24 PM »
Aronomink lost the PGA tournament when it had a "Shoal Creek" problem with its membership.  If the club will host the 2003 Senior PGA, does this mean that -
(a) it has "corrected" its membership problem
or
(b) "proper" membership demographics have become less of a concern for clubs hosting golf tournaments?

Dave_Miller

« Reply #20 on: July 16, 2002, 10:39:19 PM »
John:
Aronimink gave back the '93 PGA because they refused, rightfully so, to allow the PGA to review and potentially attempt to dictate the membership policies of the Club.

This was an issue of a Club maintaining its privacy and the response was similar to the one Hootie Johnson, of ANGC, gave Martha Burke this week.  See the thread "Would you want this man changing your course."

Had the Club allowed the PGA to review its policies they would have found no problem with the Club, its policies or its membership.  To the Club this became an issue of privacy and not permitting an outside agency the type of control and input they were obviously seeking.

In my opinion, and it is strictly my opinion as I was not close to the situation at the time, there was a substantial portion of the membership who did not want to host the PGA and used this as the reason to turn the Tournament Back.

As I am still not close to the decision making process I do not know what changed with the PGA to have this Tournament next year.

However, I am proud to be a member of Aronimink and believe the Club, its members, officers and employees conduct themselves in a manner that reflects the utmost of integrity at all times.

Cheers,

Dave

Patrick_Mucci

« Reply #21 on: July 16, 2002, 10:49:02 PM »
Dave Miller,

I'm sure you're aware that there is a substantial contingent of members who still don't want a tournament at Aronomink.

I think almost every club gets divided between a group of members that want to host a tournament, for a variety of reasons, and a group of members that don't want to host a tournament, for a variety of reasons.

I guess it depends on which group is in power or which group is most persuasive at decision making time.

I hope things go smoothly and that the club, golf and restoration works benefit from the telecast event.

Good Luck

Bill_McBride

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2002, 10:53:15 PM »
It would be great if someone can post photos of the course pre-restoration when Ran posts the current course photos.  Great before and after.

Dave_Miller

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2002, 11:02:12 PM »
Patrick:
Thanks for the kind words and encouragement.  From what I can tell the Club seems truly interested in doing a good job on this.

Bill:
I will check around and see if we can get some before photos. Unfortunately I do not have any.  Other than the watercolor of the 18th green and Clubhouse that hangs in my office.

Cheers,

Dave

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2002, 11:48:58 PM »
Dave;

I believe we're on the same page regarding those two deviations from the Ross style.  I just see 17 now as a very exacting, challenging, almost climactic hole at that stage of a match or tournament and there are few other places out there where the margin of death or glory is so narrow.

One question, though, that both my playing partner and I thought about.  Were 18 and 9 ever switched?  I ask that because I think 9 is a better finishing hole, and it also seems better centered in front of the clubhouse.  18 is a good hole, slightly reminiscent of 18 at Pinehurst #2, but perhaps less than inspirational.  On the other hand, 9 is quite grand.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back