News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

To Be Or NOTTS To Be: 2023-24 Winter Tour New
« on: April 02, 2008, 06:24:03 PM »
It is easy to see why Lord Byron, the sixth Baron Byron, used to take walks from his nearby Newstead Abbey around the Notts property for it is most pleasant rolling country offering a variety of striking colours.  There are few golf clubs which can boast of the bountiful beauty and breadth which Notts possesses.  The course covers some 330 acres and another 100 or so surrounding acres!  The size of the property affords for the making of a brawny course which Notts most certainly is, but the beauty adds an element of charm which must be seen to fully appreciate.

Formed in 1887 when there were fewer than 50 golf clubs in England, Notts moved to Hollinwell and in 1901 engaged Willie Park Jr to design a new course.  Park Jr must have been a very busy man that year because he was also working on two other land mark designs, Sunningdale Old Course and lesser known Huntercombe in the Chilterns.  Next year the great JH Taylor and T Williamson designed a bunker scheme which enhanced the challenge and elegance of Notts and made other significant changes to the routing. The final piece of the puzzle was the glaring alterations made by the unheralded Tom Williamson in 1913.  He designed the opening three holes marooned on the far side of the entrance drive, and the 6th, 13th and 17th.  He also altered the hole sequence and direction of many holes.  Some may wonder who is this Tom Williamson.  It is an unfortunate accident of history that he doesn’t get his due as a tremendous servant to the game. Tom Williamson pulled off the remarkable feat of playing in every Open bar one between 1897 and 1947, serving as professional/greenkeeper/clubmaker at Notts for over 50 years and designing or having a hand in designing at least 50 courses; surely a CV which merits attention. 

1935 Map.

A brilliant Tom Williamson designed scorecard come course planner circa 1930.

The opening three holes form a loop back to the house.  After a gentle handshake first (which produces an inordinate number of bogeys) the course kicks into high gear on the 2nd.  The hole legs sharply left around a hill which forms a holler.  The difficult to hit green is neatly nestled in the horseshoe below a rock outcrop known as Robin Hood’s Chair.  Many will prefer to drive the ball right in the hope of gaining a view of the green for the approach. 

#1 - short par 4 opener.

2nd - brutal par 4. 

Approach from right side of the fairway. 

The lovely third may present the most engaging shot in the round...if one hits a good drive.  The long downhill approach is enticing, dangerous, dramatic and the first of several thrilling shots.  I notice a bank of gorse has been removed beyond the right fairwsay bunker. This sort of work has been ongoing for several years.

Many a golfer may find oneself on the road with no free relief or worse, across the road.  Behind the green.

The sign may as well read to the 4th.

With a sense that we shall now well and truly strike into the heart of Notts, the bruising 4th awaits.  At a formidable 429 yards and gorse hard left of the green this hole isn’t for the weak.  The approach short of the left fairway bunker.

The short 5th has been recently enhanced by newly created natural sandy scrapes near the tee.

A par five, the rolling straight-away 6th features a large green and a fine example of bunkering creating dead space by not being tucked up to the green.  Pearce lugging the spanners after the his second shot.

The green.

The course then turns for the 7th which plays trickier than it appears.  The fairway slopes left and will often leave players with a blind second which must cover a front left bunker. 

The holywell provides sweet sustenance in preparation to tackle one of the best eleven hole stretches to be found in the British Isles.  The two sets of tees on the 8th give the golfer a very different aspect to the drive.  Behind the well is the longer version of the hole, but the added length is tempered by a more receptive fairway which leans into the dogleg.  The left tee makes the hole dead straight, but the canted short grass shoves drives toward the treed area right of the fairway.  The green is dug into the hillside on the left making a missed drive right not as bad as it may seem. 

Boonie is the ever generous host.

From the back tee.

Upon leaving the green we discovered the Hollinwell Halt named after the Hollinwell & Annesley Station (was near the 1st green) which closed down in the early 1960s.  The Halt is a last chance to gather provisions before assulting the hill.  Photo by HB Priestly.

After the short 9th another short par 4 follows.  Hitting the fairway is of prime importance hence many will lay-up to the blind driving zone.  The complexity of the approach is dependent on where the hole is located on the long green benched into the hillside left.   

#9.

#10 tee shot and approach.

We now attack the hill head-on for the 11th.  The narrow fairway snakes up the hill and is an intimidating prospect off the tee.  The gorse up the left was recently removed.

Approaching the small green is no less daunting.

Playing over the top of the hill, the 12th is a brute.  The drive disappears from sight and anything down the left will likely find trouble.  There is a large dip awaiting should a big drive be in the cards.  The difficulty of the obscured approach is tempered by a gathering green.  Below is just one of several teeing areas. 

#13 is a well known par 3....photo from half way down the hill.  More beautiful views have been opened up here with tree removal.  The 14th is in the background left and the 15th right. 

In this photo from behind the 13th the reader gets an idea of the elevation change.

Often times a hole is treated as one which makes up the numbers and holds no particular interest.  I have made this mistake for many a year, but now have the highest regard for #14.  Not too dissimilar to the 16th, the downhill drive turns right around rough and a corner bunker with the fairway leaking left.  A new bunker left has eliminated the bail out option. The tighter one can keep to the turn the more likely the green will be visible for the 2nd.  On the other hand, the left side leaves a blind approach for most, but a more open entrance to the plateau green.  This is without doubt the sleeper hole at Notts which deserves more accolades.  The club has slowly been altering the look of most bunkers to the style seen in this photo. 

The tee shot prior to the work.

Taken from the rear of the green, the reader is given a sense of the scale and beauty of the property.

Thinking we are finished with the hill, the course turns about face and gallops up the incline once more.  The drive isn’t as demanding as on the 11th, but at one time there was a forceful intimidating desert of sand between the tee and left hand fairway bunker. The approach into the spur of the hill may be the most exacting shot at Notts. Below is the approach from the left.

Side view of the green.

There are no prizes for guessing any approach beyond the hole will mean a severely downhill putt comes next.  In the States, the green speeds would be so quick as to necessitate flattening the slope of the green.  Thank heavens those in GB&I have a more sensible approach to maintenance.  On the other hand, I am not too keen on the rough coming down to green level.  The gorse seen in this photo has been removed.

We now leave the heights for the steeply downhill 16th.  A reverse dogleg, bunkering covers the corner at the turn to the right.  Unless one is very long its best to ease a drive out left and gain good position for the all aerial approach over three fronting bunkers which have recently replaced one long bunker.  Below is the drive and a common look at the green from a drive missed right.

The pound seats. I preferred the intensity of the cross bunker to the three new bunkers.

Behind #16 the severity of the land is more evident.

The par 5 penultimate hole features the three best placed bunkers on the course.  Protecting the left side of the uphill fairway which leans left and easier access to the green, these pits can end a match in quick order.  In the right conditions the green can be had in two. The greens are not generally difficult to negotiate, but this one seems to see less than its fair share of holed putts.

A fine finisher, the 18th is an appealing downhiller played straight at the house windows.

Behind the green.

The stretch of holes between 11 and 16 lifts Notts to a very good course with great variety. The terrain which makes these holes so compelling simply doesn't exist among the class London heathland courses.  While there is a small handful of good short holes, perhaps due to its extraordinary length (for England) there are no drivable par 4s.  This is a pity, but small beer when we consider the bountiful riches Notts possesses. 

It should be no surprise Notts is hoping to host a future Walker Cup.  As 2015's Brabazon Trophy demonstrated, the course can certainly provide a stern challenge.  More importantly, landing the Walker Cup would be a just reward for the tree/vegetation clearing and poa eliminating efforts made by the club to enhance the true heathland characteristics of Holinwell. Notts comfortably holds its own with most of  England's best inland courses. 2024

Ran's Review.

http://golfclubatlas.com/courses-by-country/england/notts1/

Ciao 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2024, 03:18:25 PM by Sean_A »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Peter Pallotta

Re: TO NOTTS OR NOT TO NOTTS or for Peter P
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2008, 10:35:42 PM »
Thanks Sean, as always.

And as always, a golf course that looks comfortable in its own skin (even though this is the most elevation change I've seen in months on the Sean Arble Mini Tour).  Of course, it reminds me of the thread you started quoting Tom D about how good the average English course is, and why. It seems so understated that even its understatement doesn't draw attention to itself. I particularly like the "wee 5th" and the 14th. Ah....it really is a lesson for me, Sean, this group of "tier-two" courses you showcase here....it's a valuable thing you're showcasing here

Thanks again

Peter   
« Last Edit: April 02, 2008, 10:39:35 PM by Peter Pallotta »

Mark Pearce

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2008, 05:41:12 AM »
I've only played the Notts once and my recollection of individual holes isn't as clear as it might be but I was very impressed with it, as were the guys I played there with.  Is it really a tier 2 course?  If it was in Surrey/Berkshire would it have a shout at tier 1 status?  It's certainly a very strong course in every respect.

Sean_A

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2008, 06:11:02 AM »
Mark

It is very difficult to call a course that is always rated top 50 in GB&I a 2nd tier course, but to international visitors and most UK golfers the course isn't terribly well known.  I think Notts stands up well with great heathland courses and most "experts" in the UK agree.  This does beg the question of why visitors should go out of their way to play Notts if there are a handful of courses near London which can satisfy an urge for heathland golf.  The only reason I can think of is the length.  For good players this is the added dimension which many of the great heathland courses don't have.  For me, this isn't a good enough reason to detour an overseas tour away from London, but living 1.5 hours away I am happy to head up there anytime.  That said, an international visitor would be treated to some very fine golf if he were to start in Brum and head up to Yorkshire.  An offering of Beau Desert, Notts, Alwoodley & Ganton plus a few other odds n sods is a match for any London quartet.  

Ciao  
« Last Edit: July 07, 2009, 09:39:26 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2008, 06:14:48 AM »
Thanks for posting your photos Sean.  Notts is a great course with some very good holes.  I think 16 is a great example of a good short hole as it makes you think both off the tee and with your approach, which generally you don't want to play from too near the green.

Just seen your latest post re 8a & 9a.  Generally these are to be avoided as they are nowhere near the quality of the other 18.  They are used primarily to allow members etc to play just 9 holes and finish near the clubhouse.

I've been fortunate to be invited to a corporate event at Notts for the last few years.  Before then I didn't know much about it as it seems to fly under the radar, Woodhall Spa generally being the only Midlands course to get much publicity (other than the dreadful Belfry :().  Our Club Captain recently got a flyer through the post from Notts inviting him to play at a discounted rate.  When I told him that was an offer not to be missed he admitted he'd never heard of it! Despite my promptings and offer to take him down there as part of his fourball he still hasn't done anything about it >:(  Rest assured if I get a similar invite in the next couple of years I'll be taking the offer up and looking on here for people who appreciate a good golf course to make up the fourball!
2014 to date: not actually played anywhere yet!
Still to come: Hollins Hall; Ripon City; Shipley; Perranporth; St Enodoc

Sean_A

« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2008, 06:20:39 AM »
Thanks for posting your photos Sean.  Notts is a great course with some very good holes.  I think 16 is a great example of a good short hole as it makes you think both off the tee and with your approach, which generally you don't want to play from too near the green.

Just seen your latest post re 8a & 9a.  Generally these are to be avoided as they are nowhere near the quality of the other 18.  They are used primarily to allow members etc to play just 9 holes and finish near the clubhouse.

I've been fortunate to be invited to a corporate event at Notts for the last few years.  Before then I didn't know much about it as it seems to fly under the radar, Woodhall Spa generally being the only Midlands course to get much publicity (other than the dreadful Belfry :().  Our Club Captain recently got a flyer through the post from Notts inviting him to play at a discounted rate.  When I told him that was an offer not to be missed he admitted he'd never heard of it! Despite my promptings and offer to take him down there as part of his fourball he still hasn't done anything about it >:(  Rest assured if I get a similar invite in the next couple of years I'll be taking the offer up and looking on here for people who appreciate a good golf course to make up the fourball!

Andrew

The new holes weren't open yet so we didn't get to have a decent look.  I think you are right in that they are filler holes for old folks and societies to get back to the clubhouse.  I know we are always tempting each other with games, but we should try and meet at Notts when the course is keen.  I think its more or less right in the middle between us.

Ciao

Kevin Pallier

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2008, 08:09:45 AM »
Sean

Thanks for the photos...I feel that after a fairly benign begining it really bares it's teeth on the B9. I saw it in summer and boy do those fairway contours exentuate run off into the greenside bunkers on weak approach shots.

Lovely ambience at Notts too - dont you think ?

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #7 on: April 03, 2008, 08:32:08 AM »
Sean,

thanks for sharing the excellent photos. Notts has been doing a lot of work on the course in the last few years restoring it to its original form. Looks like they are well on the way to doing this.

Dean Stokes

« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2008, 08:43:17 AM »
Sean, thankyou for the memories. I played the English Amateur Championship there back in the mid '90's. It is a great golf course and as good as your pictures are - they cannot do this place justice.
Some pictures of this place in mid Summer when the rough is stood tall and there are leaves on the trees would surely draw more response from the GCAers.

Where next Sean? Go play Linderick, Alwoodley or Moortown and send us some more photos. Please.
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Sean_A

« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2008, 08:52:31 AM »
Sean, thankyou for the memories. I played the English Amateur Championship there back in the mid '90's. It is a great golf course and as good as your pictures are - they cannot do this place justice.
Some pictures of this place in mid Summer when the rough is stood tall and there are leaves on the trees would surely draw more response from the GCAers.

Where next Sean? Go play Linderick, Alwoodley or Moortown and send us some more photos. Please.

Dean

Cheers.  I am afraid the Winter Tour of England with a bit of Wales chucked in is over.  Spring is upon us and with that comes touristas and with that comes inflated green fees.  I don't think I have another good English course outside of my club booked until a few comps. at Blackwell & Hillside in June.  Now is the time to focus on Philly.  We are gonna be a 2 man wrecking crew hoping to leave PA with a sleeve of balls between us. 

Ciao

Dean Stokes

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2008, 08:56:38 AM »
That's a shame! I hear the English Stokeplay is at Moortown next year. Have you played it in the past few years? If so how is it these days?
Living The Dream in The Palm Beaches....golfing, yoga-ing, horsing around and working damn it!!!!!!!

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2008, 09:34:50 AM »
That's a shame! I hear the English Stokeplay is at Moortown next year. Have you played it in the past few years? If so how is it these days?

Dean

Are you mad?  That sort of stuff is for proper flat belly golfers.  I am not proper or a flat belly.

Kevin

You are right, there is quite a nice feeling about the club.  Its down to earth, but still quite olde worlde.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:33:18 AM by Sean_A »

Dean Stokes

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2008, 09:46:33 AM »
I wasn't suggesting you play in the tournament!!! Merely asking if you'd played Moortown in recent years. It used to be one of my favourite courses around and I wondered if they'd made changes to accomodate the new 'technology' or whether it had just succumbed to the 'bomb and gauge' game of the new generation. :-\

KBanks

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2008, 10:46:13 AM »
Sean,

Thanks for that. Notts sure looks like a GB&I hidden gem.

Ken

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2008, 12:46:44 PM »

Andrew

The new holes weren't open yet so we didn't get to have a decent look.  I think you are right in that they are filler holes for old folks and societies to get back to the clubhouse.  I know we are always tempting each other with games, but we should try and meet at Notts when the course is keen.  I think its more or less right in the middle between us.

Ciao

Sean
Agreed we really must move on from saying let's have a game sometime and actually meet up!  I'd be happy to have a game at Notts once we get to the good British summer.

I'd also like to see Beau Desert as well.  Are they too far apart to do 36 in one day?  If so it would probably need to be two trips for me.

Mark Pearce

« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2008, 01:03:34 PM »
Sean, Andrew,

If you're planning a trip to Notts this Summer and wouldn't mind an interloper then let me know, it's too long since I played there.

Mark

Paul_Turner

« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2008, 01:19:43 PM »
Thanks Sean.  Haven't seen this course in ages.  The open views are super.

The bunkers look to have been redone,  they look just like the new ones at Coombe Hill, Wentworth...  There seems to be a generic, curvy, smooth bunker being installed on our heath courses.
can't get to heaven with a three chord song

Andrew Mitchell

« Reply #17 on: April 03, 2008, 01:28:04 PM »
Sean, Andrew,

If you're planning a trip to Notts this Summer and wouldn't mind an interloper then let me know, it's too long since I played there.

Mark

Mark

Noted & logged for when we get round to discussing dates ;D

Sean_A

« Reply #18 on: April 03, 2008, 03:08:10 PM »
Thanks Sean.  Haven't seen this course in ages.  The open views are super.

The bunkers look to have been redone,  they look just like the new ones at Coombe Hill, Wentworth...  There seems to be a generic, curvy, smooth bunker being installed on our heath courses.

Paul

Many of the bunkers have been redone.  You are right, but I am not convinced they are so different from the old ones in shape.  I think its more a matter of what surrounds the bunkers that is different.  Heather and bit of rough really helps to tie the bunkering into the general surrounds of a heathland course.  When you see bunkers naked on a heathland course they often tend to look out of place.   

Mark & Andrew

I will toss dates at ya further down the road.  If you are keen to play Beau then I can give in!  Truth be told, I would rather play Beau as I am going to miss a few of my annual visits there this year. 

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:33:47 AM by Sean_A »

Sean_A

Re: To Be Or NOTTS To Be: The 2011/12 Winter Tour
« Reply #19 on: November 07, 2011, 04:19:17 AM »
Take a look at the updated Notts tour.  There can be few more lovely places to play on a fine fall day.

Ciao

James Boon

« Reply #20 on: November 07, 2011, 09:12:36 AM »
Sean,

Excellent update to the thread and I'm glad you enjoyed yesterdays round!

A little extra info on the original Willie Park layout. I've managed to piece together the approximate original routing by Park, though there is still quite a bit of archaeological investigation to be done.

The key elements that can be seen are the old back tees for the 18th which played as a 555yard par 5, they are off to the right of the current 17th, as well as the old tee for the 15th (now essentially the 16th) which can be seen if you get to the 16th tee and look back over the 15th green to a tee pad perched on the hillside. There are also several other old bunkers out there, but one other key feature is a large mound off to the left of the current 9th green. I'd always thought it was an old obstacle to that green when it used to play as the 10th coming down from the hills, but I recently played with an old member who told me it was used as a back tee for the current 10th, the last time a professional event was held at the course.

Cheers,

James

2023 Highlights: Hollinwell (Notts), Brora, Aberdovey, Royal St Davids, Woodhall Spa, Broadstone, Parkstone, Cleeve, Painswick, Minchinhampton, Hoylake

"It celebrates the unadulterated pleasure of being in a dialogue with nature while knocking a ball round on foot." Richard Pennell

John Mayhugh

« Reply #21 on: November 08, 2011, 12:18:43 PM »
Take a look at the updated Notts tour.  There can be few more lovely places to play on a fine fall day.

Not sure what the updates are, but the tour is up to your usual standard. 

I was fortunate to play Notts back in April, and enjoyed it a lot.  The club deserves far more attention than it generally gets.

Sean_A

« Reply #22 on: November 09, 2011, 01:53:29 AM »

Not sure what the updates are, but the tour is up to your usual standard. 

I was fortunate to play Notts back in April, and enjoyed it a lot.  The club deserves far more attention than it generally gets.

Tucky

We don't want Notts getting too high on themselves or the green fee might just rocket.

Boony

Thanks for the map.

Ciao

Tom Kelly

« Reply #23 on: November 09, 2011, 12:24:26 PM »
James,

I was always under the impression that the course originally/at some point in time had a hole or two in the area which has fairly recently been cleared inbetween the current 10, 11, 12 and 13 loop of holes. I had assumed that it was the lose of these holes because they were too hilly and most likely too short that was the reason for the Williamson holes being built across the road?

Do you know whether there is any truth to this or have I made it up or heard it from someone who has made it up?!

Sean,

You made mention of the length of the course and at 7200 off the back pots I think it scares some people. Have you ever found the course to feel that length?

Personally I have always felt it played shorter than the scorecard card suggests. I guess this is probably due to the combination of the firm turf and the routing avoiding uphill slogs and giving you what seems like lots of downhill tee shots and approaches.

Cheers

Sean_A

« Reply #24 on: November 10, 2011, 01:57:31 AM »
Thomas

I have never played Notts in summer conditions.  Our last outing was from the white tees at 6900 yards, but I think we were playing the course a bit less than that.  Of the 15 par 4s & 5s - a wood was required on half of them for the second.  On two other par 4s a 5 & 6 were required for the approach.  To me that seems a bit long, but not as long as I would normally think a 6900 yard course would play - so maybe you are right.  In any case, there were some holes where I thought playing from the next forward set of tees would offer a more interesting challenge.  So ideally, in winter conditions, maybe a 6500-6600 yard course would be ideal if someone wanted a good challenge, but not overly weighted toward distance providing that challenge.

Ciao
« Last Edit: August 04, 2017, 11:34:37 AM by Sean_A »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back