News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

James Reader

Re: To Be Or NOTTS To Be: 2021-22 Winter Tour
« Reply #75 on: March 22, 2022, 10:55:06 AM »

Coincidentally, I was just looking at some aerials of Hollinwell from the 1950s James. This one shows the big bunker at the start of the 15th fairway.

https://historicengland.org.uk/images-books/archive/collections/aerial-photos/record/RAF_540_1121_F22_0153

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #76 on: March 23, 2022, 02:28:35 AM »
Sean,

Thanks for the updated tour and its always good to be able to show you around my home course.

While playing we discussed the "Original" Willie Park Jnr routing from 1901, the "Old" routing and then the "New" routing which is pretty much as it is today. For anyone else interested here is a link to a thread regarding the history of the layouts, from a few years ago:
https://www.golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,68410.0.html

Cheers,

James

Are there going to be more waste areas and if so, where? I know some on here push back against this kind of thing, but I am sold. I like how the 5th was transformed. We did discuss the idea of a waste area on the 9th.

Ciao

Count me as one who is not sold. And that photo of the 5th does nothing further to convince me.

I look forward to seeing the course in person but in 2D, that scrape looks more like a construction scar than something that would occur naturally.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #77 on: March 23, 2022, 03:19:13 AM »
Sean,

Thanks for the updated tour and its always good to be able to show you around my home course.

While playing we discussed the "Original" Willie Park Jnr routing from 1901, the "Old" routing and then the "New" routing which is pretty much as it is today. For anyone else interested here is a link to a thread regarding the history of the layouts, from a few years ago:

Cheers,

James

Are there going to be more waste areas and if so, where? I know some on here push back against this kind of thing, but I am sold. I like how the 5th was transformed. We did discuss the idea of a waste area on the 9th.

Ciao

Count me as one who is not sold. And that photo of the 5th does nothing further to convince me.

I look forward to seeing the course in person but in 2D, that scrape looks more like a construction scar than something that would occur naturally.

Ally

I echo your thoughts and will need to see it.

M+E have done similar work at Hankley (the 2nd hole I think) which looks more natural.

Also at Ganton they have large expansive sandy waste areas which looks better on a flatter course and also at the expense of gorse which seems to have been vastly reduced which most have said it would be a better course if the amount of gorse was reduced.

Cheers
Ben

Ally Mcintosh

« Reply #78 on: March 23, 2022, 03:52:54 AM »
The Pandy area at Ganton was restored before M&E got there. Important to note that it was in an area that had been naturally occurring, worked in to (and sheltered) by the diagonal ridge on the 18th hole carry, hence very three dimensional. Quite feasible that wind would have worked in that fashion to create Pandy.

I understand Ganton are now adding open sand elsewhere. I’ll wait to see if that works as well as Pandy.

Ben Stephens

« Reply #79 on: March 23, 2022, 04:06:39 AM »
The Pandy area at Ganton was restored before M&E got there. Important to note that it was in an area that had been naturally occurring, worked in to (and sheltered) by the diagonal ridge on the 18th hole carry, hence very three dimensional. Quite feasible that wind would have worked in that fashion to create Pandy.

I understand Ganton are now adding open sand elsewhere. I’ll wait to see if that works as well as Pandy.

The Pandy was brought back a few years ago by Conor Walsh and the latest images shows it being extended to the areas between the tee and fairway recently

They have done more sandy waste areas - pics of 9 and 14 are on their twitter feed - it looks like its turning into UK's version of Pine Valley.

Sean_A

« Reply #80 on: April 18, 2022, 03:07:19 AM »
Sean,

Cheers,

James

Ciao

I am not overly concerned about what would occur naturally on a golf course. It's an environment prepared for golf which we sometimes try to weave through, preserve or recreate a version of nature which enhances the aesthetics and may even have a positive impact on the biodiversity of the area. It may not be the version of nature you envision, but it is a version a nature.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back