News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Justin_Ryan

St Andrews Beach, Mornington Peninsula, Australia
« on: June 21, 2002, 01:01:35 AM »
I was heartened to read in the latest edition of Golf Australia magazine that Mike Clayton and Tom Doak have picked up the gig for the 36 holes at St Andrews Beach.  I had previously been told that it was being done by TWP along with IBF, so it is extremely positive for the future of the Mornington Peninsula as a golfing destination that they appear to have been shunted aside in favour of Doak and Co, who I am sure will do justice to the property.  The article indicated that the first 18 holes was due to open by December 2003, however, given that I have been hearing about this project for a number of years now, I'll believe it when I can step on and play it.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Shane Gurnett

Re: St Andrews Beach, Mornington Peninsula, Austra
« Reply #1 on: June 21, 2002, 01:36:43 AM »
Justin

I agree, this is terrific news for those of us who crave more variety on the Mornington Peninsula. I'm sure the boys will do a good job.

Maybe Tom or Mike could enlighten us with a few more details in due course.

Danny Goss

« Reply #2 on: June 21, 2002, 07:20:40 PM »
Justin,

I asked for a copy of the prospectus a few weeks back but it is still not yet available. A share will cost $50,000.
I know GA says Doak and Clayton are doing the 36 holes but the initial marketing stuff says there will be two 18 hole layouts and sort of indicated there may be two different architects. (one for each course)
Mike could certainly enlighten us.........maybe he is still away.

Chris Kane

« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2002, 10:39:05 PM »
Good to hear: variety in designers can only be a positive for the Mornington Peninsula.  The region would not thrive if one group get all the work.

Can anyone see this (eventually) 36 hole facility rivalling The National down the road?  Not just in terms of the courses, but the possibility of members moving across?

It could make the National decision-vote to delay/cancel the 2 new course development very foolish with hindsight!

Brian Walshe

« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2002, 11:13:50 PM »
Chris,

Three in the ground are probably worth more than two on a plan  ;)

It will be interesting to see if there is the demand there for an additional 1000 + shares/memberships down that way.  What will be more interesting is to see if Medalist go ahead by themselves with the courses the National said no to.  That would have to be yet another 1000+ shares/memberships.  

Then you have the second course at Moonah Links opening in spring.  Looks like they may need to upgrade the freeway from Melbourne to cope with all the additional traffic   :)

Brian

Justin_Ryan

« Reply #5 on: June 23, 2002, 03:17:56 AM »
I would be very surprised if they were able to get memberships away in a new project such as this for much more than about $18,000 in the first instance.  If they are banking on $50,000 per share with a minimum amount to be sold to proceed, then I expect that we will be waiting quite a while to enjoy Mr Doak's work in Australia (at least on the mainland).

Chris
It is certainly possible that the decision by the National members not to proceed with the additional courses will backfire very harshly in years to come.  It will be felt every time you drive over the hill and have to drive past the two Medallist courses before you get to the National courses.  And I have very little doubt that the additional courses Medallist were proposing would have further improved on the courses already there.  I can't help but wonder if the critical response to the Ocean course may have influenced the switch back to Doak at St Andrews Beach.  Fortunately for National members, I suspect that Medallist have left it a little too late in the economic cycle to get these projects flying in a hurry, so hopefully not all is dead yet.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:06 PM by -1 »

David_Elvins (Guest)

« Reply #6 on: June 23, 2002, 05:47:50 PM »

I seem to remember someone saying that the $50,000 founding share is a 100 year membership with no yearly subs.  Anyone know if this is the case?

Chris Kane

« Reply #7 on: June 23, 2002, 11:50:06 PM »
David:
We'll have to hear it from Mike himself, but I remember hearing something similar, except that the perpetual membership was 100K.

Chris Kane

« Reply #8 on: June 24, 2002, 01:59:59 AM »
Justin,

Have you been able to put a finger on exactly what scared the members into voting No for the new courses?  I remember that at the original vote in October, they overwhelmingly voted Yes, but the club decided to hold off until the extent of September 11/world recession on the economy was fully known.

Now they change their mind.

What changed in the six months between the original and subsequent votes?  From an economic perspective, I would have thought that the Yes vote would have increased, considering that the forecast recession never happened!

Justin_Ryan

« Reply #9 on: June 24, 2002, 02:34:39 AM »
Chris
Politics.  There was a lot of dissent within the club about the redevelopment of the old clubhouse with condos, amongst other things, which unfortunately spilt over into the vote on the development of the new courses.  There was also concern expressed about debt levels and share values at the meeting. Sadly, I don't think the opponents realised just how good these courses were likely to be, and the best way to boost share values is to build great courses.  I spoke to Bob Harrison after the meeting and was left in no doubt that he would have improved upon the already highly rated Moonah course, and it would not have been unreasonable to expect something special from Tom Doak, who would have had the first bite at the second course.  

Andrew S

« Reply #10 on: June 28, 2002, 04:00:13 AM »
Very Interesting!
An announcement in a mag with noone confirming but noone denying. The major players are not saying anything. But their friends know what they would say if they are able or ready to speak.
I conclude the following:
The article is probably correct but may have been inadvertently published.
Such an anouncement is usually done with a big bang and this has not (yet) occurred
There will be such an announcement with the presence on site of the architects in question within a few weeks.
Am I warm??  ;)Doaky??  ;DClaytes?? ;D

Chris Kane

« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2002, 04:01:41 PM »
Had a look at the property on Sunday - great site with interesting contours throughout.  Seems like the only real work that they need to do is to shape the greens, apart from that, add some bunkers and you're ready to go!

Unlimited potential.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back