News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Brian Cenci

Thoughts on Independence GC?
« on: March 15, 2008, 12:38:12 PM »
Anyone played this course and have any opinions or pics of the course?  Got a chance to play there but know little to nothing about it and their web-site doesn't have too many pics to get a feel of things.

-Brian

Brian Cenci

Re: Thoughts on Independence GC?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2008, 05:15:20 PM »
Has anyone even played here?

CJ Carder

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2008, 05:20:44 PM »
Where is it?  Are you talking about the course in Richmond?

Jimmy Muratt

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2008, 06:24:59 PM »
If you're referring to the Fazio designed layout for the VA State Golf Association near Richmond......it is a decent course, with no real memorable holes.   They also have a 9-hole short course and a good practice facility.  They do some great junior programs there as well.  I think there are much better public options within driving distance of Richmond.  I much prefer:

Mattaponi Springs:  http://www.mattaponisprings.com/
Royal New Kent

and, I highly recommend the 45 minute drive towards Charlottesville to play the new Spring Creek GC....  http://www.springcreekgolfclub.com/

CJ Carder

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2008, 08:02:26 PM »
I would agree strongly with Jimmy's recommendations.  I'll also throw in the idea of driving about an hour north on 95 up to Fredericksburg and playing Cannon Ridge.

http://www.golfcannonridge.com

Tim Gavrich

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2008, 08:23:33 PM »
I played Independence in an AJGA event a few summers ago and found it, as others above have, pretty mundane.  Some nice holes, but difficult to distinguish between them at times.
Senior Writer, GolfPass

Wade Whitehead

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2008, 08:43:50 PM »
Independence is a steady, but unspectacular, layout.  There are a few intersting holes, but no great ones, though I'll argue that the starting hole is about as stout as they get.

I've played it several times, including in a US Public Links qualifier.  It was set up at about 6850 yards that day, which meant only about half the holes were played all the way back, while they rest were played up one teebox.

I'd like to say #11 is the toughest par 3 in Virginia, but only because I made a hole in one there.

The practice facility is impressive, and the VSGA museum, which is in the clubhouse, possesses some interesting memorabilia.

For people looking to play in or near Richmond, there are better public access options (including Spring Creek and Royal New Kent as mentioned).  For those with connections, it makes no sense to play Independence over Kinloch or the Federal Club.  And for anyone who's looking to play a good Fazio course in Virginia, I'd head east to Bayville or, for a real treat, all the way southwest the The Virginian.

WW

Don Hyslop

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2008, 06:46:06 AM »
You can take a tour of the Championship Course at its website:
http://www.independencegolfclub.com/view.asp?id=123&page=1534

From the description of the holes it sounds like it would be a good day.  The rates are very affordable:

18-Hole Championship Course     
Monday  Through Thursday                           VSGA Members* Non-VSGA
 8:00 a.m. Starting time $52.50 $62.50
 12 p.m. - Dusk     $39.50 $49.50
 Friday Through Sunday & Holidays            VSGA Members* Non-VSGA
8:00 a.m.  Starting Time $57.50 $67.50
 12 p.m. - Dusk $39.50 $49.50
 Senior Rates                                                 VSGA Members* Non-VSGA
 Monday through Thursday before noon $40 $50

Championship Course rates are inclusive of cart fee and range balls.

An interesting feature that would add to your enjoyment of a day here is the Museum of the history of Virginia Golf.
http://www.independencegolfclub.com/view.asp?id=123&page=1526

« Last Edit: March 16, 2008, 07:34:40 AM by Don Hyslop »
Thompson golf holes were created to look as if they had always been there and were always meant to be there.

Brian Cenci

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2008, 09:39:50 AM »
The feel I get is that it is a good course, challenging....but not "blow your socks off"

-Brian

Lester George

« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2008, 10:52:55 PM »
I did the original two routings for the developer who flipped the project to the VSGA.  Played it once.  Oh well......

Lester

Brian Cenci

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2008, 07:49:59 AM »
I did the original two routings for the developer who flipped the project to the VSGA.  Played it once.  Oh well......

Lester

Lester,
      Do you like the course overall?  Didn't state how you really feel about the course, other than the fact that you didn't say much.

-Brian

Cabell Ackerly

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2008, 12:23:58 PM »
Independence is a steady, but unspectacular, layout....

For people looking to play in or near Richmond, there are better public access options (including Spring Creek and Royal New Kent as mentioned).  For those with connections, it makes no sense to play Independence over Kinloch or the Federal Club.  And for anyone who's looking to play a good Fazio course in Virginia, I'd head east to Bayville or, for a real treat, all the way southwest the The Virginian.

WW

I'd agree that "Independence is a steady, but unspectacular, layout" just about sums it up, however I might not place the Federal Club ahead of it (but that's a different thread).

Lester,
Fazio's "freebie" for Independence must have been the first time you've been underbid in Richmond in quite some time...You can't really blame them for taking that route.

Lester George

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2008, 04:27:26 PM »
Brian,

Lets just say that I didn't say much.

Cabell,

Fazio wasn't free.  Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Lester

Cabell Ackerly

« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2008, 05:17:34 PM »
Cabell,

Fazio wasn't free.  Sometimes you get what you pay for.

Lester

The VSGA sure did go out of there way to plug Fazio's group for waiving their design fee, but I completely agree - that's why I put "freebie" in "quotations".

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #14 on: March 21, 2008, 01:08:46 AM »
I'm not sure that the VSGA wanted  very difficult test.  The course isn't bad and has some good par threes and a nice finish. It has some hole like 10 that are just plain weak.  In the summer they have juniors ho stay on sight and play the nine holer.  They have a very good learning center and I think they got what they wanted.  I played in a tourney there and shot 78 (as a four handicap) and didn't play particularly well.  The greens are not difficult to rread or putt and they are fairly large.

Lester may be able to give you a better idea about what they wanted in a course.  I think they wanted standard Fazio.  They got it.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Brian Cenci

« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2008, 09:54:32 AM »
Why did Fazio design the course for free?

Lester George

« Reply #16 on: March 21, 2008, 10:03:37 AM »
Guys,

I commend Tom Marzolf on his effort at the VSGA, and, I am totally aware of all aspects of the project. 

Suffice it to say that I have said all I can or will on this subject.

Lester

Brian Cenci

« Reply #17 on: March 21, 2008, 10:13:20 AM »
Guys,

I commend Tom Marzolf on his effort at the VSGA, and, I am totally aware of all aspects of the project. 

Suffice it to say that I have said all I can or will on this subject.

Lester

Lester,
     I sense some tension.  Either way, we're going to give it a shot.  Actually playing it in the morning in a few weeks then playing your treasure Kinloch in the afternoon.  Should be a good day.

-Brian

Lester George

« Reply #18 on: March 21, 2008, 10:18:37 AM »
Brian,

You will enjoy both I am sure.  Let em know when you will be at Kinloch (date)

Lester

Brian Cenci

« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2008, 10:25:06 AM »
Brian,

You will enjoy both I am sure.  Let em know when you will be at Kinloch (date)

Lester

1:00 on Sat., April 5th...me, fellow GCA'r Dave Neveux and another golfing nut are set to play.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back