News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jay Flemma

Courses that pleasantly surprised you?!
« on: March 18, 2008, 07:31:47 PM »
So I saw how some people thought that it was too negative to have a thread on course that disappoint.  I understand why they say that, but I also think there is a public service to having that type of thread, so long as everyone is responsible about putting forth truthful reviews as opposed to just slamming a course for an agenda...

But let's turn it on it's ear...what courses totally shocked and surprised you in a GOOD way with how great they were, when you weren't expecting it?

1.  Black Mesa and Tobacco Road.  I knew they would be good, but man, the architecture and greens were even better!

2.  Friar's Head

3.  Ballyneal and Bayonne

I'll list more later...gotta show to go to.

hhuffines

Re: Courses that pleasantly surprised you?!
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2008, 08:18:43 PM »
It was North Berwick for me.  Starting with the tee shot at the second hole it just got better and better.  I knew we were in for some special holes but didnt expect to have as much fun as we did.  Hope to get back there some day!

Wayne_Freedman

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2008, 08:25:54 PM »
Nags Head Golf Links in Nags Head, North Carolina. It came outa nowhere.

www.nagsheadgolflinks.com

Neither long nor particularly scenic  when it goes into the dunes away from the water,  but fun and strategic with many short, thought-provoking, r/r  par 4's across  rolling terrain.

Just a real good time.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 08:27:44 PM by Wayne_Freedman »

David Panzarasa

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2008, 08:29:00 PM »
Wilshire CC in Los Angeles. (Might be my favorite course in LA now)
Montclair in NJ
Essex County NJ
Forsgate NJ

Mike Golden

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2008, 08:48:19 PM »
this topic has been discussed before (probably more than once) but here is a short list:

-Bellport Country Club-I had to pass up Bethpage Black to play there because of an invitation from a future nephew but then experienced a classic Seth Raynor course for the first time.  Except for the 100+ mosquito bites it was an incredible experience.

-Rec Park (Long Beach):  just a terrific Billy Bell course with tons of classic features, many hidden by changes in maintenance.  Add The Emperor as tour guide and it was truly memorable.

-Stonebridge (LI):  George Bahto's tribute to McRaynor, I drove out there after finding out BB had a tournament that day (I was in town visiting family) and just had a great time even though the course isn't overly difficult. 

-Glenrothes Town Course (Scotland):  I played this twice in the mid-80's while doing some training in the area and while I barely remember the golf course I do remember hitting driver/sand wedge downwind on a 420 yard par 4 and then Driver/3 wood to a 360 yard hole coming back into the wind.  It gave me an appreciation for Scottish golf as it is on an unknown course that is really memorable, particularly since I played TOC on the same trip.

David Stamm

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2008, 09:29:30 PM »
Meadowlark- Hidden Behr course that is chock full of wild stuff. Loved it.

Soule Park (revamped Bell,jr/Hanse)- I won't get into detail because I'm sure everyone here is sick of me talking about it. ;)

Pacific Grove- I remember an article about 10 years ago in GD talking about it so when I visited the MP I thought I give it a whirl. Heck, it was only $25. It became an instant favorite.

Marine Memorial (Bell)- The conditions are not always good, but I was surprised by some very good par 4's there and one very good par 5. Come to think of it, I'll play it tomorrow.  ;D

San Clemente (Bell)- Nothing of architectural note really, but the course overall was a pleasant surprise and I've been going back ever since.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2008, 09:32:09 PM »
Montclair in NJ
Essex County NJ
Forsgate NJ

David,

Interestingly, all three courses you listed in NJ were Charles "Steamshovel" Banks efforts.  Did you play the 4th nine at Montclair?  Are you a fan of Banks work or was this just coincidence?

DEAN
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2008, 09:34:42 PM »
Santa Anita....A perfect golf course for me at this stage in my life.  My only regret is that I didn't get to see the ponies run.

Dean Paolucci

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2008, 09:35:59 PM »

Jay,

Of all the newly built courses I have played, I was most impressed with Bayonne!

DEAN
"It is better to keep your mouth closed and let people think you are a fool than to open it and remove all doubt."  --  Mark Twain

George Freeman

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2008, 09:38:33 PM »

2.  Friar's Head

Jay,

You had low expectations for these two courses?!?! Or are you saying that even though you had high expectations, these three courses were good enough to still blow them away and pleasantly surprise you?
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Bill Gayne

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2008, 09:41:59 PM »
The Dunes Club in Myrtle Beach
The renovated Seaside course at Sea Island.
Victoria Hills in Deland, Fl.
Birdwood in Charlottesville

CJ Carder

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2008, 09:52:16 PM »
Let's see...

Caledonia Golf & Fish Club
Kingsbarns
Shepard's Hollow (Michigan)
Westfields (Northern VA)
Tidewater Plantation (North Myrtle Beach)
Mattaponi Springs (Ruther Glen, VA)
Cannon Ridge (Fredericksburg, VA)

Those are all well and good... Kingsbarns and Caledonia everyone has likely heard of, the rest are just little ole' publics that don't have the status of other courses discussed on here.

But then my biggest surprise perhaps ever.... Muirfield.  I heard the hype, "oh it's the greatest time you'll have", "oh it's a fantastic course" blah blah blah.  Holy cow, I was nowhere near prepared for my experience there.  Fantastic course, we had the perfect day for it (overcast, little wind), wonderful hospitality, great food, everything.  That's quite possibly my biggest surprise ever in golf.

Daryl David

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2008, 09:53:41 PM »
Boat of Garten
Firmest, fastest parkland course on the planet.

Gullane #1
Had always heard it was just a tough walk up the hill with great views.  Wrong. Very good track

Luffness New
Not many Americans have played it.  I was surprised that so little is said about it.  Lots of fun.

Portmarnock (yellow nine)
This is the "relief" nine.  Many holes are the equal of the red and blue nines.  You can have a good time trying to figure out how to make a composite course out of the 3 nines that would be really something. 

JR Potts

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2008, 09:54:19 PM »
Elgin Country Club in Elgin, Illinois.  Tom Bendelow designed the course in 1901.  At some point there looks to have been a redesign of 4-5 holes on the back-side (as the holes don't quite fit) but overall it is a fun fun course and has some awesome greens.

When first invited, I wasn't too excited about playing it....I now jump at the opportunity every time I'm invited.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2008, 09:57:51 PM by Ryan Potts »

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2008, 09:56:35 PM »
When I have time, I have a pretty big list, i will post
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2008, 09:57:56 PM »
I have to agree about Bayonne.  It was stunning.
Sebonack also surpassed my expectations.
Baltusrol Upper really surprised me.  Whenever I go back I want to play it.
Ballybunion Cashen.  I liked it and had only heard lousy things about it.
Royal County Down.  I wish I could play it all the time.
Pennard.  I really didn't know what to expect but I certainly did not expect what I got.  It is like nothing I have ever played.
Royal North Devon.  I like it so much I joined.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Lou_Duran

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2008, 10:30:02 PM »
Affordables:

Wild Horse
Barona Creek
Rustic Canyon
Pinion Hills
Stevinson Ranch

mark chalfant

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2008, 10:39:47 PM »
Glen Mills,    thanks  mayday

i expected a  good course but the variety,  neat bunkering, scenery,   remarkable greens, and par threes were exceptonal

Harrison Hills, great terrain with so much vintage  Langford

Oak  Tree

Eastward  Ho !  front nine

Andy Troeger

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2008, 10:46:34 PM »
Topping my list would be The Kingsley Club, I wasn't really sure what to expect and still put it in my top ten.

I expected a fair amount from Wolf Run and it exceeded those expectations. Its the hardest course I've played where trying to execute every shot was fun. Even after 36 holes had I not had to drive home I'd have gladly kept going. Same at Kingsley.

The Golf Club (Ohio) really impressed me as well, I think if I played everything it would pretty easily make the top 20 in the US.

Paa-Ko Ridge was fun the first time, but it was actually the second time where it was a pleasant surprise. I figured after playing some of the above courses that it wouldn't measure up. It doesn't match the three above, but its right behind Kingsley. Ditto Black Mesa.

Other courses I enjoyed perhaps more than expected originally: Tullymore, Castle Pines, Point O'Woods, Longaberger (its not as good as any other course I've mentioned, but not as bad as some here would make you believe)!  ;D

Michael Powers

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2008, 11:56:14 PM »
Kittansett after the renovation was a pleasant surprise. 

A few years back I played Green Hill Golf Course outside Worcester.  It was a fun layout, not a bad hole out there, and the condition for a muni was outstanding.  Very surpised because I hadn't even heard of the course before.

HP

Gerry B

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2008, 12:19:16 AM »
As opposed to pleasently surprised i would call it exceeded expectations

using that criteria :

courses that are not promiment on the various ranking lists or under the radar would include:

Longue Vue in Pittsburgh - might be my 2nd favorite in The Iron City
Forsgate (Banks)
Sunnehanna
St. Thomas in Union Ontario
Allegheny
The Sheep Ranch
Pacific Grove

Courses that were ranked on some lists but felt that they exceeded expectations or deserved higher rankings would include:

Atlantic City
Myopia Hunt Club
Scarboro
The Creek
Yale
Indian Creek
MPCC Shore Course
Indianwood Old
BCC Five Farms East

David Panzarasa

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2008, 12:20:55 AM »
Montclair in NJ
Essex County NJ
Forsgate NJ

David,

Interestingly, all three courses you listed in NJ were Charles "Steamshovel" Banks efforts.  Did you play the 4th nine at Montclair?  Are you a fan of Banks work or was this just coincidence?

DEAN

Actually I did not think of that at all while listing these. Sitting back now, I do love his designs, especially playing the first time out.
 First time I play a course, I judge how I personally like them from my approach shots, and the greens. All these have great approach shots and par 3's.
 I also did not know nor research who designed Wilshire until now. These also have another thing in common, and they are not long courses, but can hold up with any course.

Gerry B

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2008, 12:38:10 AM »
Know many members at Wilshire - but have not played it - thought it was designed by Norman Macbeth? please confirm!

Ed Oden

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2008, 12:42:39 AM »
I am not a Rees Jones fan.  Maybe that's why I was surprised that I really liked both Atlantic and Haig Point.  Atlantic's biggest problem is the neighborhood it resides in.  Its like the worst house on the nicest street in town.  Just because there are bigger mansions down the street doesn't mean its not a very nice place.  And I really enjoyed Haig Point.  A very solid course in a beautiful setting.  I thought it was just as good as Harbor Town.

The last place I will mention is the Club at Irish Creek.  Very impressive. http://golfclubatlas.com/forum/index.php/topic,32910.0.html

Jason Topp

« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2008, 12:46:16 AM »
Bandon Trails.  I expected it to be a step down from the other two but I loved the course.  I really liked the varied environments you play through, the combination of wide fairways, centerline hazards and difficult greens.  I enjoyed it as much as the other two courses there.

Shadow Creek - I don't know if the course is any good.  I do know spending a relaxing afternoon in the shade of pine trees Memorial Day weekend was so much fun I did not really ever notice the golf holes.  I just enjoyed the atmosphere.

Big Fish - went there with a group of college friends.  Was shocked to be focused on the architecture rather than beer.  Went from 18 green back to the 1st tee.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back