News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Shortest Par 4...that we know of?
« on: March 21, 2008, 09:17:03 PM »
Steve has sent me a diagram of the shortest par 4 that we know of.  There was an old thread by Jordan on this, but I couldn't find it.

So here it is:

Thanks for the drawing Steve, very interesting!!
« Last Edit: March 21, 2008, 09:48:55 PM by Kalen Braley »

J_ Crisham

Re: Shortest Par 4...that we know of?
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2008, 09:28:53 PM »
Kalen , I will put this on my list of holes to never play- nothing like the back to back sand wedges theory of design. As bad as my slice is I could probably have a go at this green with a 5 iron come to think of it ;D

Matt_Cohn

« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2008, 09:30:09 PM »
When I was 10 years old, playing in the Junior World Championship at Presidio Hills, two holes were labeled as par-4's including the 17th which was printed as 105 yards but can play as short as 80.

Steve_Lovett

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2008, 09:46:46 PM »
Kalen , I will put this on my list of holes to never play- nothing like the back to back sand wedges theory of design. As bad as my slice is I could probably have a go at this green with a 5 iron come to think of it ;D

Jack - I suggest you put this COURSE on your list never to play.  And - to say that any aspect of the place ever had a "theory of design" is to give it too much credit.

Believe it or not - this hole might be the most unusual, but might not be the worst on the course...

Sam Morrow

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2008, 11:10:21 PM »
I nominated Heron Lakes in the worst course thread, well about 4 years ago they were shortening the first tee to put in an office building and we played #1 for 6 months as a 138 yard par 4. It was fun starting many rounds -2 after 1.

Jon Wiggett

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2008, 02:41:55 AM »
Here in Switzerland there is an alpine course Riederalp, which is at 1800m height. The fourth hole is a 172 meter par four which plays about 10% shorter due to the altitude. The green is very difficult to though as it is only about 15 paces in diameter and surrounded by water.

Sean_A

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2008, 04:58:39 AM »
One of the very best of what I would call proper par 4s of a par 3 length is without a doubt the 13th at Stoneham.  At one time I can recall detesting this hole, but now I think it is very clever.  The diagram doesn't indicate the tee shot is blind over a wee ridge.  This hole is very reachable especially in summer, but the visual clues on it send a mixed message.  What the player can see are large trees left of the green and open ground out to the right.  The natural instinct is to go right, but the best way in is from the left, but if you are going for the green you mustn't hoick it or it is in all likelyhood a lost ball.  Go right and you have a near impossible approach over the bunker to a green that slopes away.  This hole really is a great example of why blindness and protecting holes at the green can be very effective design elements.

Go to "the course" then click on the 13th hole

http://www.stonehamgolfclub.org.uk/

Of course, any thread like this must include Kington's 18th - the best finishing hole I know of.  Besides, photos of it freak out Mark B which can only be a good thing.

One of the coolest things about holes like these is that they mess with our often silly notions of par and what it should mean.  I wonder if par weren't so all consuming these days if we wouldn't have more imaginative holes in which the distance compared to par is largely irrelevant.

Ciao
« Last Edit: March 22, 2008, 05:01:46 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Dunfanaghy, Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Matt Waterbury

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2008, 07:29:47 AM »
I particularly like the strategic placement of the "shelter/coke machine" to force the player left off the tee. Plus, it's always nice to be able to grab a refreshment without stepping off the tee box. ;)

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back