News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mike_malone

I am planning for the first week of June.  Lahinch, Carne, Rosses Point are days 1-2-3. Will try for Enniscrone on the last day.

So, that leaves two days to go north of Sligo. Which are your choices ? Different ideas are welcome.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 02:04:55 PM by michael_malone »
AKA Mayday

Sean_A

As one who isn't keen on running around too much I would suggest one of the following:

1. Play Enniscrone twice and Donegal.

Or

2. Play Strandhill and Donegal. 

Or, if you are looking to be adventerous and you can't help getting in the car for a road trip

3.  Play Donegal and head up to Cruit Island.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Brad Tufts

I can vouch for Rosapenna being a good time.  It's at the end of the earth in a small town, surrounded by beautiful views.  They unfortunately have (I think) taken the back nine of the old course (OT Morris, J. Braid, and others over the years) and inserted a new nine in the dunes.  

Now there is the Sandy Hills course, a wild layout build by Pat Ruddy in towering dunes, and the Old, which has the OTMorris nine, and another by Ruddy I believe.  I'm sure the new 9 isn't bad, but the one they removed was funky and fun.

Ballyliffin is also good with 36 holes, one course is newer and flatter by Faldo, and the Old has some of the most undulating fairways in Ireland.
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Brendan Dolan

I enjoyed portsalon quite a bit, and we played in some pretty heavy rain.  Pretty sure we had the course to ourselves.  Rosapenna, sandyhills course is quite dramatic, but lacked a little something that would have made it really special.  Maybe the dunes were to large!  Nairn Portnoo and Donegal are both pretty enjoyable.  Hopefully that helps a little bit.

Brendan

jeffwarne

Portsalon is WAAAY far from Sligo.
One of my favorite spots on earth-if you do go there you could just play it twice.
Strandhill and Donegal would be the least driving.

Or you could play Strandhill in the morning, drive to Cruit Island and play and stay there. Drive to Narin and Portnoo,play there and drive back- very practical and good bang for what's left of the buck.

Roaspenna's Old Tom Morris course is nice and the Ruddy course is pretty good, but if you go that far you might as ell go to Portsalon.
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

mike_malone

Last fall I played Rosses Point for the first time. I loved the classic links feel and the angles of play. So, among those mentioned which course is the most fun to play for someone who has had his fill of dramatic dunes or views?
AKA Mayday

Tim Pitner

Brad,

As I recall, the new course at Ballyliffin is by Ruddy, not Faldo.  Faldo is a fan of the old course there and may have done some touch up work after the new course was built.

Michael,

Of those, the only one I've played is Donegal and I highly recommend it.  It's not a course with large dunes so, if that's what you're after, it will disappoint.  It's a big, broad course with a lot of solid holes, good scenery with the Blue Stack "mountains" (I'm from Colorado) and the water (which doesn't come into play).  It's a very pleasant place to play golf and the day I played it, it was in the 70s, sunny, and hardly a soul was on the course.  It's not a worldbeater-type of course, but I really enjoyed it.  Ruddy did some work there since I played it but it sounds like not a whole lot was done.  

The Old Tom Morris holes by the water at Rosapenna looked really cool and that area is quite scenic.  I'm not exactly sure what happened to the Morris holes across the street from the water.  Did Ruddy build Sandy Hills and nine new holes to go along with the Morris holes on the water?

From what I've heard of Sandy Hills, I would play Donegal over it.  

jeffwarne

Forget my suggestions as they're "full of dramatic dunes and views" :( :( :(
Portnoo heavy on dunes and views , Cruit Island spectacular views, Portsalon spectacular views,more subtle dunes
Goodness it hurt to type that.

Play Sligo twice and then Strandhill (as it's right there)
"Let's slow the damned greens down a bit, not take the character out of them." Tom Doak
"Take their focus off the grass and put it squarely on interesting golf." Don Mahaffey

Mike_Trenham

Mike:

I played all of these except Ballyliffen Old and Rosapenna old.  I have pictures from my trip last summer which I will try to post in a few days.  Most of my pictures are Port Salon, Nairn & Port Noo and Rosapenna new.

First a warning it is not easy to get up there although I find the roads better in the Northwest (fewer rock walls to be protected from road expansion).

Portsalon is very playable not that I scored well.  Not real dramatic like Carne or Lahinch.  First hole is quirky, second hole is combination links and Florida with water hazard everywhere, after that it is real solid.

Nairn + Portnoo has a bunch of new holes it is not as quirky as it once was and I found it to be very difficult especially the back nine.  The wind blows very hard there.   It may be the most scenic in Ireland.  Portnoo's first few holes are more meadow like than links, but once it gets going it is a bit of a surprise especially after the dull start.

Pat Ruddy's courses at both Ballyliffen and Rosapenna are very good but I find the holes hard to remember from my one treck arround each.  Lots of drama and elevation changes here modern links.

Donegal is a good layout but my opinion is that they made a mistake bringing both nines back to the clubhouse which sits on the dullest part of the property.  I remember the middle of both nines being the strength of the course.

I'll post more later this week.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

Tiger_Bernhardt

The Ruddy course is very average. It is wild but uninspired. I think Sean had it right. I did not go to Ballyliffin but based on Rihc I say go there and play the old. The Rosapenna world is way to set up for Americans or Euros for GCA taste.

jeffwarne

Re: Donegal,Strandhill, Nairn+Portnoo, Portsalon, Rosapenna---Choose two
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2008, 12:01:19 AM »
Mike:

I played all of these except Ballyliffen Old and Rosapenna old.  I have pictures from my trip last summer which I will try to post in a few days.  Most of my pictures are Port Salon, Nairn & Port Noo and Rosapenna new.

First a warning it is not easy to get up there although I find the roads better in the Northwest (fewer rock walls to be protected from road expansion).

Portsalon is very playable not that I scored well.  Not real dramatic like Carne or Lahinch.  First hole is quirky, second hole is combination links and Florida with water hazard everywhere, after that it is real solid.

Nairn + Portnoo has a bunch of new holes it is not as quirky as it once was and I found it to be very difficult especially the back nine.  The wind blows very hard there.   It may be the most scenic in Ireland.  Portnoo's first few holes are more meadow like than links, but once it gets going it is a bit of a surprise especially after the dull start.

Pat Ruddy's courses at both Ballyliffen and Rosapenna are very good but I find the holes hard to remember from my one treck arround each.  Lots of drama and elevation changes here modern links.

Donegal is a good layout but my opinion is that they made a mistake bringing both nines back to the clubhouse which sits on the dullest part of the property.  I remember the middle of both nines being the strength of the course.

Mike Trenham,
I found the second hole at Portsalon to be one of the most unusual/stunning/enchanting holes I've ever played. The entire course was just so unusual with alot of different looks which is the opposite of Rosapena New where the holes all run together.

I hope narin and Portnoo hasn't lost all of its' quirk as I loved that place but it's been 11 years. :(
Roaspena Old has charm and is well woth playing-I'd pick it over the new course-they were still using the old back nine when I returned last June,

Sean_A

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2008, 05:28:04 AM »
Mike:

Mike

You are correct in that 1, 9 & 10 are on the blandest part of the property more or less, but I don't think these are bad holes.  I like it when courses use flat land for holes to create a bit a bit rhythm of expectation to the round.  I don't know if it was a mistake to bring the 9th back to the house, but I am sure the members appreciate two starting and ending points near the house.  Its a virtue not to be dismissed lightly.  I have a lot of time for Donegal and am a bit disappointed we couldn't fit it in on our upcoming June trip. 

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Rich Goodale

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2008, 06:04:46 AM »
Mayday

Ballyliffin "New" (Glashedy) is very forgettable.  Bulldozer architecture on a potentially great site.  Ballyliffin Older (15 years ago) was one of the great golfing experiences of all time.  After being raped during the construction of Glashedy, it was damaged goods, but still a treat.  Now it has been "restored" by Faldo, and the word I get (Father-in-law who goes there 1-2 times a year) is "better, but could have done better."

Portsalon is a great golfing experience, now.  Quirky and even a bit weird in places, but not to be missed.  The fact that both the drive up there and the beach just south of the course are also world-class is just icing on the cake.

As for the other places mentioned, one of these days......... :(

Rich

mike_malone

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2008, 09:42:15 AM »
 Ballybunion remains my favorite in Ireland because of the varied challenges, the slightly raised greens and falloffs within the dunes with some significant falloffs in other places. The water carries the wind rather than being in play and the dunes act like canyons for the wind. The undulation in the fairways also appeals to me. The routing takes maximum advantage of the dunes and the winds.

Lahinch, with its new (or old) greens presents a great playability challenge. The up and down the hills through the dunes is demanding.The routing is slightly less interesting than Ballybunion. But, it is the differences between them that make them both great with Lahinch being tougher and Ballybunion more enchanting.

Rosses Point , for me, represented another way to be a great links course. I had been to TOC the year before for the first time so I saw the greatness of the ground level classic links course. While Sligo does have a cliff that bisects the course, it mostly sits on the flat land. Of course, the cliff is a very important signature for the course, but the whole course feels more like the Scottish links experience versus the Irish.

So, I am interested in exploring more Irish links courses that use architecture to create interesting holes rather than the drama of the dunes.
  Carne, on this trip, was the choice of the initiator of the trip. I felt my one time there was enough.

Thanks to your comments here I may not go back to Enniscrone, if you can continue to be as specific as you have been about the courses discussed so far.
AKA Mayday

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2008, 02:15:29 PM »
Now Enniscrone is a delight.

mike_malone

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2008, 03:07:55 PM »
 Tiger,

Do I play a course I haven't played before or go back to Enniscrone where I played 36 last fall ?
AKA Mayday

Mike_Trenham

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2008, 09:44:06 PM »
Mike Trenham,
I found the second hole at Portsalon to be one of the most unusual/stunning/enchanting holes I've ever played. The entire course was just so unusual with alot of different looks which is the opposite of Rosapena New where the holes all run together.

I hope narin and Portnoo hasn't lost all of its' quirk as I loved that place but it's been 11 years. :(
Roaspena Old has charm and is well woth playing-I'd pick it over the new course-they were still using the old back nine when I returned last June,

My dislike of #2 at Port Salon is best attributed to the fact that as an American on vacation I did not travel to Ireland to deal with water hazzards on a links course.  I don't think it is a bad hole just not links as would be expected by a bunch of Americans on holiday.

I agree that the holes run together at the new courses at Rosapenna and Ballyliffen, I had intended to say that on my first post.  These two courses lack real controversy in the form of quirk.  Rosapenna is a big course on a big piece of property.  I have pictures I am trying to get posted soon, can't recall the exact holes and I had one of my better rounds there.
Proud member of a Doak 3.

mike_malone

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2008, 11:34:50 AM »
 Secured Portsalon and Narin/ Portnoo. Donegal had competitions.

It looks like nothing between Portsalon and N/P. Any suggestions for someplace to stay besides a farm?

BTW calling for times for these courses way up north is a real pleasure.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2008, 02:05:40 PM by michael_malone »
AKA Mayday

Norbert P

« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2008, 02:14:57 PM »
Secured Portsalon and Narin/ Portnoo. Donegal had competitions.

Played Narin/Portnoo for the same reason - Donegal having a tourney. I went there anyway and had a slow Guinness. The bar has big windows for a terrific view of some of the land.  It's on the way up to N/P too. 
  Mayday, please get some pictures of N/P. Mine are all vaporized.

Enjoy! Re-tee, repeat.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Brad Tufts

Re: Donegal,Strandhill, Narin+Portnoo, Portsalon, Rosapenna---Choose two
« Reply #19 on: March 20, 2008, 08:50:38 PM »
Tim:

I stand corrected on the Ballyliffin-New...I think I remember it being Ruddy now you mention it.  They do love to tout Faldo as the guy who publicized Ballyliffin to the masses...

As for Rosapenna, the back nine of the OTM course was in play when I was there last July.  I believe, however, that they have removed that nine to replace it with the Ruddy 9 along the road into the property.  The newest nine was closed when I was there, but it looks to resemble the final few holes of Sandy Hills with the lower dunes, some of whick look to be man-shaped.

I do agree that Sandy Hills may be missing just one small something to be a GREAT course.  Perhaps the land is just too wild?  There isn't much room for hazards in and amongst all of the land movement.  It's possible the course is just too remote to be great.  Perhaps when the Nicklaus courses are completed over at St. Patrick's, the town will become more of a destination and it will help how people look at Sandy Hills.  I personally liked the course even though it was a bit difficult to figure out where to go on the first play.  I think it would be even better on play number two.  I think this course for me is better than Ballyliffin-old, and the European Club (heresy?..I wasn't into the wooden bunkers at EC).

It is too bad they took the hill nine out of play, as there were some really unique holes.  It did, however, have three road crossing shots, and another players had to cross between holes.  10, 11, 12 scaled the hill before 13 flew down it with a beautiful long par four, with an almost Kapalua-like drop and roll-out.  14 and 15 crest the hill and play much longer than their 150 and 410.  16 is a par three with a panorama of the property.  Then 17 and 18 come flying down the hill to the clubhouse.  They play like inland links holes.  It appeared that new houses were being built on top of the hill to take advantage of the panoramic view, but it is tough to imagine the area is actually "growing" that far north...

Scott Whitley

« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2008, 09:06:55 PM »
Between Portsalon and Narin & Portnoo you should definitely consider a stop at Cruit Island.  It is only nine holes, rarely crowded, and well worth the trip.

I must say we liked the Sandy Hills links at Rosapenna much more than some of the other who have posted here.  I would say it is a strong contender for top ten in Ireland.  I agree that it is superior to Ruddy's work at Ballyliffin Glashedy.

Also, in terms of accommodation between Narin & Portnoo and Portsalon, the Rosapenna Hotel is the clear choice.

Not too many votes for Standhill, I notice, but if you can slip away on your day in Sligo it is well worth a visit.

Scott Whitley

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2008, 09:17:04 PM »
I also meant to add, since someone above mentioned St Patricks, that its redesign project went into receivership last summer.

Brad Tufts

« Reply #22 on: March 21, 2008, 01:21:21 PM »
I agree that Sandy Hills is far superior to Glashedy, and I would venture that it could be better than the European Club, despite all the press it gets, especially as its near Dublin.

And yes, St. Patrick's is a redesign of two courses, one is the last by Hackett, and another by a female Irish designer.  I believe the plan is for the Nicklaus group to redesign both into a destination resort with a hotel.  As viewed from the end of the Old Links, one can see St. Patrick's criss-crossing an enormous sloping hill, with some holes close to the beach.  It appeared that some work had already begun when I was at Rosapenna in July of last year.  It should be interesting when that project is finished, and two resorts will be virtually next door in that remote slice of Ireland.

Johnny_Browne

« Reply #23 on: March 22, 2008, 06:33:57 AM »
Michael,
You cannot go wrong with Narin and Portnoo and Portsalon - they are a type of hidden gem as we call them here. It is a slightly tedious drive between them - will take you about 1 hours 30 mins I think.  There have been changes to N/P with the par going from 69 to 73 - mostly good changes but typically of that part of the world some over the top - the back nine is probably the hardest 9 holes of golf I have ever played if the prevailing wind is blowing at all - it has some spectacular and dramatic holes.  I can probably advise about accommodation if you give me an idea about roughly where it would suit you to stay.  I will be playing N/P on Easter monday so will let you know after that.
Regards,        Johnny Browne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back