News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tony Petersen

Seascape Golf Club...
« on: March 07, 2008, 01:31:30 AM »
I've searched, and found a little...Are the rumors of Marion Hollins true? Tell me this: 6000 yards of fun, 6000 yards of glory or 6000 yards of yawn in a pretty cool locale?

If anything, it has to be good for the ego... The rating from the back tees is 70.2 at 6000 yards... Christ, 3 of the par-5's are under 452 ;)

But it's always good for the soul to shoot a good number going into "The KP"... :D
« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 02:04:58 AM by TonyP »
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Tom Jefferson

Re: Seascape Golf Club...
« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2008, 06:39:25 AM »
Tony;

6000 yards of trees, narrow, moist.........or at least that was my memory of Aptos Seascape from the time I played there, another lifetime ago, in 1976.
Manicured, near the coast, with pine, cypress and other dense greenery.
Homes on the perimeter.
But fun.

Tom
the pres

astavrides

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2008, 07:49:52 AM »
overpriced.  i can't think of a good hole on the course.  you can find a better place to play.   

Tony Petersen

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2008, 08:59:12 PM »
The rate at Seascape is definitely within the budget ( AZ in March, Seascape in Scottsdale would run you $160+  ::) ), and my thoughts were wondering to a Seascape/Bayonete Thursday, since Pasa is a shut out... Or, maybe Del Monte & Bayonet insteads of Seascape? All assuming that the "dream" 36 doesn't work out... ;)

Nobody answered the real question within the question...

Are the rumors of Marion Hollins involvement in the development of Seascape true, or folklore?
Ski - U - Mah... University of Minnesota... "Seven beers followed by two Scotches and a thimble of marijuana and it's funny how sleep comes all on it's own.”

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2008, 09:08:30 PM »
Tony - no clue about any Hollins involvement.  Perhaps one of our historians will chime in.  In any case it's not like they publicize it or there's any shrine or anything to see of historical interest... at least not that I have seen, and I've played it many times.

But as for the quality of the course, well... it's decent, but nothing more.  There are some good holes, and some very quirky ones, which would qualify as good if one is really into quirk.  But outside of that, it's not worth seeking out.  It is good for the ego though, for sure... those par fives are are all really such in name only.  Each is tight though, so no given birdie... I'd agree with Tom J. that is is kinda fun, but I'd also agree that it's overpriced and you can do better.  It's really not worth trekking up from Monterey for. If you want a bang for your buck course near that area, each of DeLaveaga and Spring Hills are quite superior to Seascape, and Pajaro Valley is REALLY superior.   And closer to Monterey, I also much prefer Laguna Seca and heck if bang for the buck is the golf, the Navy course (Monterey Pines) Adam mentioned way back when.

A great 36 in terms of quirk and bang for the buck for that day would be DeLaveaga + Pajaro... or for the ultimate quirk-fest, DeLav + Spring Hills....

TH

« Last Edit: March 07, 2008, 09:11:39 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Tony Petersen

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2008, 01:49:27 AM »
A great 36 in terms of quirk and bang for the buck for that day would be DeLaveaga + Pajaro... or for the ultimate quirk-fest, DeLav + Spring Hills....

TH

Another fun time would be Bayonet & Del Monte, No?  ;)

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2008, 02:05:43 PM »

TH

Another fun time would be Bayonet & Del Monte, No?  ;)

That wouldn't be bad also - just a lot more expensive.

rchesnut

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2008, 03:25:23 PM »
I checked with Pasatiempo's former historian, who has studied Hollins extensively, and he knows of no connection between Marion Hollins and Seascape.  Hollins' biography makes no mention of Seascape either.  I don't know of any basis for that rumor. 

As for the course, it's very forgettable.  I'd put it below De La Veaga, and I don't like De La Veaga.  If you want low budget and quirky, with an ego boost, I'd recommend Pajaro. 

Rob

Brad Tufts

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2008, 03:43:17 PM »
Strange that the back tee rating at Pajaro Valley is 69.5 at 6664 yards (par 72), and the back tee rating at Spring Hills is 70.0 at 6002 yards (par 71)...
So I jump ship in Hong Kong....

Mike Benham

« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2008, 05:05:03 PM »
Strange that the back tee rating at Pajaro Valley is 69.5 at 6664 yards (par 72), and the back tee rating at Spring Hills is 70.0 at 6002 yards (par 71)...

I think Pajaro is about 6,200 yards, slope 121 from the Blues and the slope at Spring Hills is 127 which comes from some of its off-canter fairways and quirky holes (#1 and #18 come to mind).

I am very surprised to see that Seascape was built in 1900 according to Golf - Seascape.  Perhaps the only redeeming quality of the course are the par 3s, 5 of them with 3 of them being pretty challenging mid to long irons to smallish greens.

Pajaro is usually in far better condition then Seascape, Spring Hills and DeLaveaga.  The greens are usually on the quick side and even though they may seem flatish, they are a few that will make 3 putts more likely then 2 putts.

I prefer Pajaro, Dela, Spring Hills and Seascape in that order of the area courses ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike Benham

« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2008, 05:44:36 PM »
Searching through some Santa Cruz County history:

1926 - Golf Lodge and Course built. Designed by Willie Locke, inventor of the nine iron.

1956 - Aptos Golf course rebuilt.

1963 - Five hundred acres and nine holes are added to golf course.

Source:  Aptos History

Tony Petersen

« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2008, 02:43:56 AM »
How's this for getting your hands on some good land...

"Seacliff is unable to persuade Paul Woodside to sell his cliff-side property. Ultimately the Sheriff is called to the property. Woodside, Sheriff Trafton and Under Sheriff Rountree wind up killing each other. " ;) O-U-C-H  ;) Shootout that the Aptos/Seascape Corral  :D

1926 - Golf Lodge and Course built. Designed by Willie Locke, inventor of the nine iron.

Who would a thunk... Guy who comes up with the 9 iron ends up designing Seascape... Kinda cool...

Mike Benham

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2008, 12:09:37 PM »

Who would a thunk... Guy who comes up with the 9 iron ends up designing Seascape... Kinda cool...

Which might explain why the distance for the approach shot into the par 4s is 130 yards ....

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back