News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Dub_ONeill

Wales
« on: July 30, 2002, 11:47:34 AM »
I am part of a group that is planning a trip to Wales next summer.  The idea is a trip of 6 to 7 days, 36 holes most days, playing links courses.  The initial proposed itinerary calls for a flight to Manchester and a round at Hoylake.  Following that it calls for travel to Wales and days of 36 holes at Conwy and Royal St. David's.  It provides a travel day with no golf to South Wales followed by days with 36 holes at Pyle & Kenfig and Royal Porthcawl.  I was wondering whether there are other courses (Aberdovey, Pennard, Tenby, others?) which should be included in the play list.  Is it reasonable with some combinations to play two of these courses in the same day rather than playing the same course twice? ?  Is it reasonable to play a round somewhere as part of the day traveling from North to South?  I would appreciate any thoughts or suggestions.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

David_Tepper

Re: Wales
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2002, 12:19:50 PM »
I was recently in south Wales for a few days. I was hoping to play some golf but could not fit it in. Based on the research I did, your list of courses looks pretty good to me. My guess is that Pennard  and Aberdovey should definitely be added to your play list.

Dave Q

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2002, 01:37:25 PM »
Dub -

I was in South Wales this spring for a couple days of golf.  Played Pennard, Tenby and Ashburnham (couldn't get on Porthcawl because of British Amateur).

I would consider Pennard a "must play" in South Wales.  It is tremendously fun golf in a beautiful setting, complete with castle ruins, cliffs, cows, and wild ponies (for details on Pennard, check out the course profile on this site).  

If you are driving through Tenby on your way South to Porthcawl, you should certainly stop for a game.  Not quite as much fun as Pennard, but still classic links golf through some interesting terrain.  While three of the final four holes are routed through parkland and left me with a bit of a bad taste in my mouth, the terrific first 14 holes more than make up for it.    

I would play Ashburnham only as a filler.  Apparently, lots of people think highly of the course, but I was disappointed.  The first 8 and last 3 holes are basically parkland and (I thought) quite boring.  Holes nine through 15, which are routed closer to the sea, were a lot of fun, but I don't think six holes are enough to warrant a side trip to Ashburnham.        

Have fun!

-Dave Q

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2002, 09:25:48 PM »
I did a south to north trip a few years ago. Pennard and Aberdovey should be included, might consider staying at the hotel in Aberdovey. Played and enjoyed Nefyn and District, which on the peninsula NW of Harlech instead of Conwy. Scenic, quaint and quirky. 26 holes, play the original course. See Doak's Confidential Guide.

Thomas_Brown

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2002, 10:07:09 PM »
Porthcawl + P&K have some wonderful holes.
Have fun!

tom

David_Tepper

« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2002, 06:10:31 AM »
One other course in south Wales to consider is Southerndown, in Bridgend. I have read good things about it.
It is not a links, but is what the British call a "downland" course, which is a seaside course that sits on high land above the coast line. My guess is that courses like Torrey Pines and Sandpiper might resemble downland courses.    

JANDRIOLE

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2002, 07:02:44 AM »
I would reinforce the comments above re. Nefyn -- fabulous scenery, a few goofy holes but some really good ones.  The layout makes Pebble B look like an inland course..Farther north and moe interesting as a test of golf--Bulls Bay.  Aberdovey is a really nice old fashioned links; Royal St Davids is championship golf.  Consider the narrow guage rail bnetween Aberdovey and Royal St David---stops at both courses.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back