News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Scott Macpherson

Re: TOC Bunkers
« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2010, 07:38:43 PM »
HI Ran,

Nice to have a thread that links us up. Let me first thank you for starting this site.

As regards the bunkers, Melvyn is correct. 13 bunkers in about 1904, and Hull was the last bunker filled in in 1949. It's all in the book. Perhaps we need to get a copy to you? (Btw, it was muted a while ago about GCA having a book section. If you ever start one up, I would be prepared to make copies of my book available to GCA'ers for a discounted price.)

Sean, thanks for telling me that. I missed it as I was out on the course, but a couple of other people have told me. I had for a long time- especially just prior to and just post publication, be nervous about releasing this research. Fortunately it seems to have been well received. I am very grateful for that support.

Niall, today I spent some hours on the 14th watching were balls were landing. The wind was generally a strong westerly (i.e help a touch, but mainly right to left). It is 300yards to the front of the hollow and 315y to carry it. Most drives were flying about 260-290y, and finishing at about 330-350y. So – to point out the obvious – with this wind, most balls were landing short of the hollow and finishing past it.  While I was watching Dustin Johnson was the longest at 383y. Only he, Lowry, and Daly flew over it – and only just. (Tiger drive finished at 343y, Daly=346 but into the left rough). A little of 40% of the shots would have gone in the 'bunker'. This percentage is, of course, misleading because if the bunker was there, the strategy of players off the tee would be different...and that's the entire point.

It's all food for thought.

scott

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back