News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Jerry Kluger

Sunday strategy at Riviera #10
« on: February 15, 2008, 11:44:33 AM »
I watched a little of the tournament last night and there did not seem to be any consensus as to how to play #10.  Players hit irons and hybrids off the tee into the fairway while some hit driver and felt the recovery shot was reasonable enough to warrant the risk. What's the speculation of how they will play it on Sunday - will we see the aggressive plays like we did at Oakmont, or will it be too early in the round for players to take the big risk if they are in contention? 

Rich Brittingham

Re: Sunday strategy at Riviera #10
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2008, 11:50:52 AM »
Winds really picked up in the afternoon and it seemed all the players were just banging 3-woods out there.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2008, 11:53:41 AM »
The scores were much higher in the afternoon - seems that nearly all of the low scores yesterday were shot in the morning.  If that happens on Sunday then we probably will see placement in the fairway and some type of low spinning shot into the green.

Michael Powers

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2008, 12:08:36 PM »
Funny, I watched 2 minutes of the coverage.  Just enough to watch Goosen miss the green by 25 yards right, and Duval to miss it 20 yards left.
HP

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2008, 12:56:08 PM »
I'm trying to figure out if they post the scoring on each hole.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #5 on: February 15, 2008, 01:05:38 PM »
I looked at the Tour's Shot Link analysis of the hole from the event two years ago, when I was writing a piece for LINKS Magazine, and their approach depended a lot on where the flag was.  With the flag back right, only about 10-20% of the field hit a long club, most laid up safely left.  The further the pin was to the left, the more players went with driver or 3-wood ... and the lower the scoring average that day.

Phil Benedict

« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2008, 01:18:40 PM »
This has nothing to do with this thread but the 10th at Riviera must be the most discussed hole on GolfClubAtlas.  I don't think there's another hole that comes close.  It probably helps that there's a tournament at Riviera every year but the interest in this hole on this site is amazing.

Jerry Kluger

« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2008, 02:20:38 PM »
I haven't played Riviera but it seems that the amount of spin that players are used to putting on the ball todaymakes the second shot more difficult if they lay up.  Tiger and Phil are good at hitting that dead hand shot which cuts down on the spin but how many others can do it - those that can't, might as well go for the green with their tee shot.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back