News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tom Huckaby

Re:Bandon Dunes Trip Feb 8-11, Looking For One Golfer
« Reply #50 on: January 30, 2008, 10:02:00 PM »
Michael:

Mr. Kavanaugh has a way of making these things happen.

Just do understand my feathers were ruffled only very little, and very temporarily.

One more thing for John, though: let it be written, let it be done.  I will send YOU $50 if you ask for, and take, Joe Bentham as a caddie for the Pacific Dunes round.  The word of anyone else at the trip will suffice, but a picture of the two of you posted here will up it to $75.

Post here, send your address, the check will be on the way.

Yours in peacemaking,

Tom Huckaby

Michael Dugger

« Reply #51 on: January 30, 2008, 10:02:06 PM »
Michael,

I'm in.

In as in you are going?

I hope the weather is good for you.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Michael Dugger

« Reply #52 on: January 30, 2008, 10:04:43 PM »
So does this mean that despite getting skunked because your partner tanked at Pacific Dunes, did you have a good time your last trip, John???

Why else would you make a return visit? :P
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #53 on: January 30, 2008, 10:05:14 PM »
John is booked for PDX and Bandon!

"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Kalen Braley

« Reply #54 on: January 30, 2008, 10:06:31 PM »
I'll take some action on that weather bet.  Barney are you the bookie?  What odds are you laying on no rain for Friday?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #55 on: January 30, 2008, 10:10:48 PM »
So does this mean that despite getting skunked because your partner tanked at Pacific Dunes, did you have a good time your last trip, John???

I have the exact results down at the office but I remember kicking Michael Hayes and his dad's ass in alternate shot at Pacific.  No one beats me at alternate shot. No matter who the partner.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 10:12:27 PM by John Kavanaugh »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #56 on: January 30, 2008, 10:11:38 PM »
I'll take some action on that weather bet.  Barney are you the bookie?  What odds are you laying on no rain for Friday?

Even odds the cost of a single green fee.  $45.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #57 on: January 30, 2008, 10:15:00 PM »
Michael:

Just do understand my feathers were ruffled only very little, and very temporarily.

One more thing for John, though: let it be written, let it be done.  I will send YOU $50 if you ask for, and take, Joe Bentham as a caddie for the Pacific Dunes round.  The word of anyone else at the trip will suffice, but a picture of the two of you posted here will up it to $75.

Yours in peacemaking,

Tom Huckaby

That sounds like a plan.  First I need to get with Joe and give him some instruction on rude behavior.  Usually after one of my instruction sessions I am a little warry of having the student walk behind me with a bag of clubs.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #58 on: January 30, 2008, 10:22:24 PM »
Michael:

Yours in peacemaking,

Tom Huckaby

That sounds like a plan.  First I need to get with Joe and give him some instruction on rude behavior.  Usually after one of my instruction sessions I am a little warry of having the student walk behind me with a bag of clubs.

Love it!  

This will be my little contribution to the good of golf.  Should I create a TBGF?

;D

Tim Bert

« Reply #59 on: January 30, 2008, 11:14:57 PM »
Michael:

Yours in peacemaking,

Tom Huckaby

This might result in the biggest bargain on the hole trip.  Joe's a great caddie.  

Tom - Your money would be better spent offering Joe the $75 to bag for JK at Crossings.

Andy Troeger

« Reply #60 on: January 30, 2008, 11:19:18 PM »
If Joe is a caddy at Bandon, then I think it is completely inappropriate to discourage playing a non-Bandon course WITHOUT disclosing the conflict of interest.  If you disclose it up front, then people can make better informed decisions.  Shilling for a place that you work for (directly or indirectly) and not sharing that is just not right.  Saying "I don't work for Bandon Dunes.  I work for myself" is disingenuous at best.  IMHO

John,
This is not the first thread that Joe has participated in regarding Bandon Crossings. In his defense on the other one he did make it very clear that he is a caddie at the resort. I agree that given that admission he is certainly entitled to his opinion. It is worth noting that of from the other thread, other GCA'ers think much more favorably of Bandon Crossings than Joe does. I know his comments personally only make me want to give it a shot more when I finally head out there someday to see it for myself. I wouldn't look at it as sacrificing a round at the resort, but adding a half day to the trip to see another course.

Had a friend try to talk me into a similar last minute situation a week ago and had to turn him down too due to the circumstances. One of these years I'll get there, but at this point I may wait for Old MacDonald...we'll see.

EDIT: Here's the link to the thread...

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=30905;start=0
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 11:45:04 PM by Andy Troeger »

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #61 on: January 31, 2008, 01:35:42 AM »
I played Bandon Crossings about three weeks ago in a deluge, and found the course surprisingly dry.  Maybe things have changed after the string of storms we've had.  Nonetheless, while Crossings is an enjoyable course, with only a $25 difference in rates this time of year between Crossings and Pacific Dunes, I'd have a hard time leaving the resort.

Donal Breasail

« Reply #62 on: January 31, 2008, 06:20:49 AM »
I'll save you the time.  The recent deluge of rain has rendered the crossings almost unplayable.  I would make sure they where letting you take carts before I went down there because you won't want to walk it....

John--
My friend you are the only one in need of a lesson on rude behavior.  As my original post above will attest to, I was only trying to impart a bit of local knowledge regarding playing conditions.  I also spoke to my major complaint with the Crossings and that is its unwalkable.
As for the weather I don't know where you live, but I live on the Oregon coast, have for 20 years.  10 day forecasts in February are at best optimistic guesses here.  And we've had an interesting winter so far.
As for your insight into the death of caddying, all I can do is chuckle.  Bandon Dunes is walking only and one of the busiest golf resorts in the world.  Caddying isn't going anywhere here and I doubt the WGA will let it die in Illinois.  Tradition will do the rest.
In closing I think it is you who needs to examine your own ignorance.  Personally I wouldn't drink with you if my mouth was on fire and I wouldn't carry your bag if it was the last paying caddie gig on the planet.

A very enjoyable read.although i have not played the Crossing i have heard alot of mixed reviews and must play it on my next trip to Bandon.
Joe,
I completely agree with you on your caddying taughts.I myself have caddied and worked at many clubs with great programmes and cant see the profession coming to a halt any time soon.  

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #63 on: January 31, 2008, 07:23:16 AM »
I'm a member of the WGA Par Club and support caddying.  What I am saying is that with the new labor law passed in Illinois caddies are on the edge of no longer being defined as independent contractors.  It will only take one work comp claim and one bad decision and that will be the end of caddies in Illinois.  The law is attempting to do the same thing to independent truckers and I don't see a very big difference in the job description between a trucker and a caddie.  They haul something from point A to point B when and where you tell them to do it.

Donal Breasail

« Reply #64 on: January 31, 2008, 07:44:17 AM »
well you see john most caddie programmes are now being run by companies such as caddiecorp and caddiemaster who run a professional service and take care of the grey areas you find with caddie programmes whilst alot of private clubs with smaller caddie programmes hire caddies as company employees.As joe mentioned he wouldnt carry your bag if it was the last loop on earth and based on some of your comments i could see why he would say this.From my wonderful caddie memories i have had alot of great times but occasionally you meet someone in the line of your duty like yourself who we tend to forget as quikly as possible.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 07:44:53 AM by Don Breasail »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #65 on: January 31, 2008, 08:21:02 AM »
Are caddies covered under workers compensation insurance?  Who is paying the premiums?

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #66 on: January 31, 2008, 09:39:13 AM »
Charlie:  praise the Lord, halleluyah and thank you.  Yes, this is EXACTLY what I was saying, and nothing else.  Someone took that to mean I was somehow sabotaging this trip.

I hope you guys have a great time and the weather is to your liking, but I understood what TH was saying all along, one the weather there is as unpredictable as anywhere I have ever been, and secondly, no matter what the weather is like (good, bad, rain, wind, sun) it will only enhance the overall experience.

Tim B:

Good point.  So let this offer stand as well:  post a picture here of Joe Bentham caddieing for John Kavanaugh at Bandon Crossings and I will send each of John and Joe $50.  But if that occurs, of course the Pacific offer is rescinded.  The Huckaby Golf Peacemaking Fund has limited assets.

TH

Charles Garland

« Reply #67 on: January 31, 2008, 09:43:19 AM »
Thanks to John K.  I feel like an alcoholic whose friends got him out of the bar just in time. This is my first winter without the Jeff Doerr Bandon trip in a long time. I think I'm getting the DTs. (Or is that just the yips?)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #68 on: January 31, 2008, 09:45:54 AM »
Thanks to John K.  I feel like an alcoholic whose friends got him out of the bar just in time. This is my first winter without the Jeff Doerr Bandon trip in a long time. I think I'm getting the DTs. (Or is that just the yips?)

Charles,

Hold it.  Are you not going, I thought you were the tall guy.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #69 on: January 31, 2008, 10:01:59 AM »

Charles,

Hold it.  Are you not going, I thought you were the tall guy.

No the tallest of the group is my dad. He is 6 feet, 7 inches tall and plays left handed.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #70 on: January 31, 2008, 10:09:23 AM »

Michael,

On Friday, January 20, 2006 John Kavanaugh and Bob Davis defeated the team of Michael and Mike Hayes 2 1/2 to 1/2 at Pacific Dunes.  I have nothing but great memories from my last trip.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #71 on: January 31, 2008, 10:19:02 AM »
There is a sucker in Tennessee who caught this bait last February. lol

Tiger,  I did not catch the bait - I jumped in the boat.  Besides, I had to go SOMEWHERE as I got tired of waiting for an inviation to sunny Mountain Lake.

Congrats on the National Championship.  Perhaps one day the Tigers will go undefeated like the '98 Vols.

Mike

Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Mike Benham

« Reply #72 on: January 31, 2008, 10:21:32 AM »

So let this offer stand as well:  post a picture here of Joe Bentham caddieing for John Kavanaugh at Bandon Crossings and I will send each of John and Joe $50.  

And they both have to be smiling and unrestrained ...
"... and I liked the guy ..."

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #73 on: January 31, 2008, 10:33:02 AM »
I get this feeling that Joe does not want to caddie for me.  I am starting training for the trip today.  I am glad I bought my wife that treadmill because I would look pretty stupid walking in a gym with my golf bag on my back.  Last time I went to Bandon I spent $300 for three rounds on a great caddie.  The golf and lodging cost me an equal $300 because I got a last second deal.  That really makes no sense.  Looks like me an Huck both are going to be saving some money out of this spitty/spat.  

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #74 on: January 31, 2008, 10:39:39 AM »
Gee John, you really are a master of reading people.  Joe doesn't want to caddie for you - ya think?

;D ;D ;D

That's why it's up to you to offer the olive branch, and I am giving you financial incentive to do so.  That's what the Peacemaking Fund is all about:  bringing peace where a little push is needed.

And I again offer thanks to Tim Bert for the better idea.  The Fund is in its infancy and needs this kind of help.  A place on the Board is yours if you want it, Tim.

TH
« Last Edit: January 31, 2008, 10:40:55 AM by Tom Huckaby »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back