News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Kalen Braley

Re:Bandon Dunes Trip Feb 8-11, Looking For One Golfer
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2008, 05:46:26 PM »
Joe,

I'm may be off on this, but it sure seems you are doing a lot of "selling" to help fill those tee sheets.   ;)

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #26 on: January 30, 2008, 05:50:00 PM »
Joe,

Then why don't you take a few days off and play with the boys if it is so God-damned cheap.  One of the very things that excites me about this trip when compared to others like it is the start at Crossings.  Care to put a little wager against my forecast for Friday the 8th?

I'll bet you a free loop at Pacific for one of the boys against double pay that on Friday the 8th it does not rain during the time these guys are playing the Crossings an amount that requires even the likes of a Huckaby to raise a brella.  Check the forecast again, it gets better and better.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #27 on: January 30, 2008, 05:52:44 PM »
Hey wait a second, how the hell did my name get invoked?  I say GO - I have zero regrets I went there in the winter.  It is a lot cheaper and the good thing is the courses drain so darn well there's no excuse NOT to play (at least as I see it).

It just did rain and sleet on us damn near the whole time, and temps never got above 45 degrees.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #28 on: January 30, 2008, 05:54:47 PM »
Take a gander at this also, smartass.  Note no umbrella, perfect match-winning putting stroke.  Then bite me.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #29 on: January 30, 2008, 06:01:45 PM »
Huck,

I think we have crossed the line when a new affordable course opens and an employee of the competition comes on here evertime it is mentioned to tell people not to go.  I am sick of the Bandon publicity machine and its back alley tactics where every golfer of oregonian intent must question their credibility.  I don't think the spirit of Scotland's links ever included bitching about the weather 10 days out from a trip or even bragging about how you got a little wet and lived through it.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #30 on: January 30, 2008, 06:05:11 PM »
Huck,

I think we have crossed the line when a new affordable course opens and an employee of the competition comes on here evertime it is mentioned to tell people not to go.  I am sick of the Bandon publicity machine and its back alley tactics where every golfer of oregonian intent must question their credibility.  I don't think the spirit of Scotland's links ever included bitching about the weather 10 days out from a trip or even bragging about how you got a little wet and lived through it.

Hell man, I agree with you.  Just leave me the hell out of it.  All I did was good-naturedly respond to one friend's jibe at another.

The weather is a crap shoot up there for sure - but hell it is here as well.  Anyone going to Bandon EXPECTING warm sunny winter time weather is a fool.  Do we really need to coddle and suffer fools?

I say go up there not giving a shit what the weather holds.  That's what I did.

Thus my posts to you.  I'm in a mood NOT to take your crap today.

Tommorow I'll let it all slide though.

;D

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #31 on: January 30, 2008, 06:15:16 PM »
There is a sucker in Tennessee who caught this bait last February. lol

LOL

I'd say there were suckers from all over who caught that bait last year.

For one and all:  a group of stalwart GCAers made a trip to Bandon last year right around this time.  Let's just say the weather was "fun", as Scott puts it.  That is, "fun" if one likes overcoming adversity.

I keep hearing about winter trips where it's sunny and warm up there, though.  I guess we just had bad luck.

TH

There is your direct self serving million laughs a minute quote.  If you think it is of value and will help people find and enjoy this trip let it stand.  If you want to help these good people fill a spot then delete it.  I betting on you doing nothing as you are probably busy mucking up some discussion of architecture and don't have time to care for any golfer outside your own circle.  Notice anything similar about the crybaby weather golfers?  hmmmmm...I think it may be a requirement.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #32 on: January 30, 2008, 06:18:23 PM »
I feel so bad about mucking up this thread by dragging the post clowns that have hooked themselves to me that the BBGE will offer a $50 cash award to the first person to sign up for this available spot.  I hope you will use the money to use a pull cart and forego the whinning Bandon caddie corps.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #33 on: January 30, 2008, 06:23:56 PM »
There is a sucker in Tennessee who caught this bait last February. lol

LOL

I'd say there were suckers from all over who caught that bait last year.

For one and all:  a group of stalwart GCAers made a trip to Bandon last year right around this time.  Let's just say the weather was "fun", as Scott puts it.  That is, "fun" if one likes overcoming adversity.

I keep hearing about winter trips where it's sunny and warm up there, though.  I guess we just had bad luck.

TH

There is your direct self serving million laughs a minute quote.  If you think it is of value and will help people find and enjoy this trip let it stand.  If you want to help these good people fill a spot then delete it.  I betting on you doing nothing as you are probably busy mucking up some discussion of architecture and don't have time to care for any golfer outside your own circle.  Notice anything similar about the crybaby weather golfers?  hmmmmm...I think it may be a requirement.

I don't think my post will have any effect on anyone wanting to join this outing.  If it does, it's one pretty odd duck who let's this effect him.

As for the rest, your jibes have become tiresome.  Perhaps looking in the mirror is in order, if not just plain lightening up?

One final thing:  I'm "attached" to you today as you've attached yourself to me countless times before.  No fun, is it?

I'll go back to looking in the mirror.  Perhaps you might learn something today.  I'm not counting on it though.

« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 06:25:43 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Michael Dugger

« Reply #34 on: January 30, 2008, 06:24:14 PM »
John,

What in the hell are you rambling about now?

What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #35 on: January 30, 2008, 06:32:37 PM »
John,

It is quite simple.  I have decided that I can not go and am offering a $50 award for anyone who reads this site that does.  The weather forecast is getting better and the trip just got cheaper.  It is a can't miss.  Now sign up and shoot me an address.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2008, 06:37:06 PM »
John,

It is quite simple.  I have decided that I can not go and am offering a $50 award for anyone who reads this site that does.  The weather forecast is getting better and the trip just got cheaper.  It is a can't miss.  Now sign up and shoot me an address.

Yeah John, that's ALL you are doing in this thread.  Uh huh.  Right.

My apologies to Scott Weersig, on behalf of John Kavanaugh, who chose your thread to perform his usual acts of provocation and arguing for the sake of arguing.  As for me, hell I'm just defending myself for once rather than let him get his jollies.  But my apologies also if this does detract from your aims, or offend you in any way.  Here's hoping you do get a taker - someone who will appreciate things up there and have the fun that place can provide, any time of year.

Tom Huckaby
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 06:44:11 PM by Tom Huckaby »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2008, 06:51:37 PM »
A useless comment of my own.

I would love to go on this trip, but just can't swing it due to some other commitments. Thanks to Scott for posting the opportunity and hopefully someone from here will be able to sign on.  I would also feel comfortable going to GCA to try to find a last-minute player. Good luck & have a good trip.

My thoughts on Joe's participation: you could be telling people that were booked at the Struie they needed to try the Championship course at Royal Dornoch, but as long as you work there folks are going to be skeptical. And they have a right to know you work there.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #38 on: January 30, 2008, 08:29:42 PM »
Joe,

I've decided that when I get home I am going to contact the parties involved and see if I can get the logistics worked out and take the spot myself.  I hope we can get together and discuss your ignorance over a drink.

With the best intentions,

John

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #39 on: January 30, 2008, 08:50:43 PM »
Hey Everyone,

This trip will make 7 of the last 8 years. All trips made from Jan to Mar. Every time has been AWESOME, and I am not one to overuse that word.

Cheers, Jeff
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

John Mayhugh

« Reply #40 on: January 30, 2008, 08:51:55 PM »
I don't work for Bandon Dunes.  I work for myself.  I was trying to help some fellow GCAers avoid a disappointing afternoon.  Not that its that bad, its jus that the resort is that good.  Coupled with the condition of the Crossings right now and its a no brainer.....
Sorry guess I misunderstood comments about you working for the competition and having a conflict of interest.  If you aren't affiliated with Bandon, what did those mean?  I can be a little dense.

Scott Weersing

« Reply #41 on: January 30, 2008, 08:53:18 PM »
I don't work for Bandon Dunes.  I work for myself.  I was trying to help some fellow GCAers avoid a disappointing afternoon.  Not that its that bad, its jus that the resort is that good.  Coupled with the condition of the Crossings right now and its a no brainer.....

John--
Your way off here.  Greens fees and cart fees at the Crossings add up to darn near what it costs to play the resort (it might actually be the same or more).  I'm not saying its going to rain on the 8th of February, but I wouldn't say it wasn't going to either, regardless of what your internet weather forecast says.  It snowed this week, and that wasn't in the forecast.  Have you played the Crossings?  I have and I was only offering my opinion, which at last check was the point of GolfClubAtlas......

Thanks for keeping this thread near the top. I know that Bandon Crossings will not be as good as the courses at the resort. And we may skip the Crossings, and play in the afternoon at the resort. I will propose it to the team.

Again, the spot is still available.  I cannot believe this thread made it to a second page. I thought there would be 10 replies.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #42 on: January 30, 2008, 08:57:15 PM »
Sorry guess I misunderstood comments about you working for the competition and having a conflict of interest.  If you aren't affiliated with Bandon, what did those mean?  I can be a little dense.

John,

Joe is a caddie which is still considered an independant contractor only because those who write the law don't feel like fighting it yet.  When a caddie gets hurt on the job in a state with a stronger labor department like Illinois and does not have worker compensation insurance the law will be changed and they will become the employee of the course.  This will be the final straw and the end of caddydom as that will make it far, far too expensive.

J Sadowsky

« Reply #43 on: January 30, 2008, 09:04:12 PM »

John,

Joe is a caddie which is still considered an independant contractor only because those who write the law don't feel like fighting it yet.  When a caddie gets hurt on the job in a state with a stronger labor department like Illinois and does not have worker compensation insurance the law will be changed and they will become the employee of the course.  This will be the final straw and the end of caddydom as that will make it far, far too expensive.

John, are there no caddies in other countries with stronger employment laws?  I'm not disagreeing, I just don't know the answer.  

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #44 on: January 30, 2008, 09:10:51 PM »
All I can tell you is that the definition of an independant contractor is changing rapidly because of the high cost of health care and people without workmans compensation insurance.  If a caddie was in the construction field he would no longer be an indpendant contractor in the State of Illinois as of January 1st because of a change in the law designed to protect people that only really protects big labor.  Lucky for me I am big labor.

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #45 on: January 30, 2008, 09:30:41 PM »

John--
Your way off here.  Greens fees and cart fees at the Crossings add up to darn near what it costs to play the resort (it might actually be the same or more).  I'm not saying its going to rain on the 8th of February, but I wouldn't say it wasn't going to either, regardless of what your internet weather forecast says.  It snowed this week, and that wasn't in the forecast.  Have you played the Crossings?  I have and I was only offering my opinion, which at last check was the point of GolfClubAtlas......

Thanks for keeping this thread near the top. I know that Bandon Crossings will not be as good as the courses at the resort. And we may skip the Crossings, and play in the afternoon at the resort. I will propose it to the team.

Again, the spot is still available.  I cannot believe this thread made it to a second page. I thought there would be 10 replies.

I just booked my ticket so looks like the spot is filled. I vote for playing the Crossings on Friday as planned as I am sure the weather is going to be perfect.  The lack of rain on Thursday should also do a nice job of drying things out.

John Mayhugh

« Reply #46 on: January 30, 2008, 09:38:52 PM »

John,

If Joe is a caddy at Bandon, then I think it is completely inappropriate to discourage playing a non-Bandon course WITHOUT disclosing the conflict of interest.  If you disclose it up front, then people can make better informed decisions.  Shilling for a place that you work for (directly or indirectly) and not sharing that is just not right.  Saying "I don't work for Bandon Dunes.  I work for myself" is disingenuous at best.  IMHO

Scott & company, hopefully John K will be able to join you.  He's a pleasure to play with.  I hope he's right about your weather, but I don't know of any long range forecast I would believe.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #47 on: January 30, 2008, 09:58:42 PM »
This is hysterical.

We have bets on the weather.

Huckaby had his feathers ruffled.

John is jealous he isn't making a return trip.....

Someone is accusing someone else of not knowing the definition of independant contractor.

Someone may have a conflict of interest.

What a thread!!!! :o
« Last Edit: January 30, 2008, 10:00:00 PM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2008, 09:59:00 PM »
That's the funniest part about this... as much as I do battle with JK in here, I fully agree with John M. that he is darn fun to play this game with.

Very cool you made this happen, JK.  So now are you going to give yourself $50?

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #49 on: January 30, 2008, 09:59:51 PM »
Michael,

I'm in.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back