News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Garland Bayley

Re: Bandon Dunes Trip Feb 8-11, Looking For One Golfer
« Reply #150 on: April 07, 2008, 04:12:26 PM »
Kalen,

My Golf Digest just came. They are advertising it as containing the most important article ever to appear in their mag. The article is about making golf more environmentally sound. They state in the article that 18 holes in a 2-cyle engine powered golf cart does more damage than driving 100,000 miles in a new car. They also strongly advocate walking, and will begin to rate courses on environmental issues. In such a scenario, many golf courses may find they have to have the automated electric rail car to do the shuttle in order to remain viable if GD and others start dis'n them.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #151 on: April 07, 2008, 04:15:55 PM »
Let's not lose sight through whatever this tangent may be...Bandon Crossings is an easy walk.

Kalen Braley

« Reply #152 on: April 07, 2008, 04:24:05 PM »
Kalen,

My Golf Digest just came. They are advertising it as containing the most important article ever to appear in their mag. The article is about making golf more environmentally sound. They state in the article that 18 holes in a 2-cyle engine powered golf cart does more damage than driving 100,000 miles in a new car. They also strongly advocate walking, and will begin to rate courses on environmental issues. In such a scenario, many golf courses may find they have to have the automated electric rail car to do the shuttle in order to remain viable if GD and others start dis'n them.

Garland,

Thats great news. Its good to see pressure placed on courses for thier rating system.  Unfortunately this will only likely affect a teeny % of courses that vie for a spot on the national lists....but its a good start.  I had heard the same about those little two stroke engines, supposed to be hideously awful on the environment.

I like to walk as often as possible, but living in mountainous Utah and being a big guy present thier challenges.

John Foley

« Reply #153 on: April 07, 2008, 04:29:37 PM »
Kalen,

They state in the article that 18 holes in a 2-cyle engine powered golf cart does more damage than driving 100,000 miles in a new car. .

How in the world can anyone believe this?
Integrity in the moment of choice

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #154 on: April 07, 2008, 04:34:08 PM »
Kalen,

They state in the article that 18 holes in a 2-cyle engine powered golf cart does more damage than driving 100,000 miles in a new car. .

They are not counting discarded oil or tires.  Golf writers should not comment on anything of substance.  They are like Hollywood actresses with spell checkers.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #155 on: April 07, 2008, 04:59:00 PM »
Kalen,

Note, I didn't say I believed it. I just said they said it.  ;)
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Kalen Braley

Re: Bandon Dunes Trip Feb 8-11, Looking For One Golfer New
« Reply #156 on: April 07, 2008, 05:09:10 PM »
I found this quoted on Sierra club...the gist of it was a two-stroke personal watercraft run for 7 hours emitted the same levels of pollution as a car over 100,000 miles.

While this seems like a fairly large exaggeration, there is no doubt that simple 2 strokes you see around on lawnmowers, scooters, etc, emit far more emissions than the average car due to lack of an exhaust treatment system. 

Another site said one of these engines running emits the same emissions as 50 cars....  Sounds a lot more reasonable.
« Last Edit: April 07, 2008, 05:45:46 PM by Kalen Braley »

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #157 on: April 07, 2008, 05:19:16 PM »
I will go so far to say that for every one million miles driven in a car one person dies.  The backhoe exhaust from digging the grave is greater than that from ten 18 hole rounds.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back