News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

mark chalfant

Retreat (Nicklaus) c. Corona
« on: January 27, 2008, 02:50:36 PM »
This course clings to scenic hilltops and tumbles over rugged terrain near the Cleveland National Forest in socal.  Has  anyone played here or heard reports about the course's design ?    

thanks
« Last Edit: January 27, 2008, 07:58:19 PM by mark chalfant »

Scott_Burroughs

David Stamm

Re:Retreat (Nicklaus) corona cal
« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2008, 03:28:31 PM »
Mark, Tommy N had put up a thread on this some time ago with pics. I'm sorry I can't put a link to it because I can't use this bloody search engine here. It looked, if memory serves, rather odd. A very difficult piece of property. I drive by it every couple of weeks when visiting clients and I can see it from I-15. It doesn't look very appealing to me, but I haven't played it so take that for what it's worth. I've heard that they have had a very hard time getting members there.
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Dan Smoot

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2008, 04:47:23 PM »

Kalen Braley

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2008, 07:34:04 PM »
Previous photo and discussion threads on The Retreat:

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=25478

http://www.golfclubatlas.com/forums2/index.php?board=1;action=display;threadid=29136

This course has a very similar look to Lakota Canyon in Colorado on a very similar site.

Dan,

I would agree with you, certainly looks to be built on some fairly severe terrain like the front 9 of Lakota.

Kalen

Andy Troeger

Re:Retreat (Nicklaus) c. Corona
« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2008, 08:13:47 PM »
Dan and Kalen,
I would tend to agree with the comparison to the site for Lakota, although if anything I'm guessing the Retreat might be even more severe in spots. The courses look pretty different to me, Lakota rarely took the driver out of one's hand even though in spots it might not have been the prudent play. The fairways themselves look like they have more severe slopes at the Retreat as well.

The Retreat does look fun to play, although as Tommy mentioned in the other thread I doubt I would make a special trip just to see it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back