News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Joe Hancock

Re: Belvedere GC, Charlevoix, MI
« Reply #75 on: August 23, 2016, 02:25:24 PM »
One of the more interesting things I've always found about the course in that 1938 aerial is the few holes that aren't bunkered.  5 and 14 are the 2 holes with the least interesting land on the entire course (along with 2 but it does have the giant dogleg bunker of 6 behind the green) and when looking at the aerial, those holes are without bunkers.

Those holes are in the low lands and drainage may have dictated the bunkering decision.

You certainly know more than I.  The only counter I would have to that is 12 green and 10 green having bunkers and they are relatively same level as 13, same the bunkers on 6 relative to 5.

Naw, I don't know more, I just openly guess more.
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Richard Hetzel

« Reply #76 on: August 24, 2016, 10:40:28 AM »
I thought I would post a few pics from my round (several years ago) at Belvedere GC. Great walking golf course, IMO. Great atmosphere, pure golf, unpretentious, great summer weather. Not sure what else one could ask for.

Last 5:
Bobby Jones (FL) Arcadia Municipal (FL) Eisenhower Lakes (GA) Augusta Municipal (GA) Foresthills GC (GA)

Tom Hooker

« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2017, 10:33:51 PM »
Just had the opportunity to play the newly "modified" Belvedere, unfortunately without pictures. I say "modified" rather than "restored" only because I suspect there will be many who barely notice the fantastic Willie Watson restoration work that took place this last Fall and Winter.

Most notably here, the bunker fronting the left of the long par 3 4th green was removed, and the original cross bunker ~120 yards from the tee was indeed rebuilt. Although it isn't in play for low handicappers, both my playing partner and I thought it served a useful visual purpose, as it creates the impression that the hole is shorter than it is.

In addition to some fantastic bunker removals and restorations (esp. left of 16 fairway), most of the greens were expanded to include some extremely interesting swales and humps that had been minimized by mowing practices over the years. Especially notable to me were 2, 6, 9, 11, 17, and 18. The greens weren't running very fast this week, and I wonder whether they'll be able to run them at their old speeds with the new expansions.

Since I know it's a favorite here, would love to hear others' thoughts on the restoration work.

Russ Arbuthnot

« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2017, 10:54:09 PM »
Great news! Makes me even more excited to play it again later this summer. So happy to hear they restored the 4th cross-bunker. Can't wait to see it and the other changes.

Ben Hollerbach

« Reply #79 on: June 23, 2017, 09:34:05 AM »
A couple of images from the clubs facebook page

Ryan Taylor

« Reply #80 on: August 13, 2020, 02:59:38 PM »
Bump. Do yourself a favor and book a round at Belvedere GC this fall. I played this Wed and the course is in the best shape it's been in my 10+ years of playing it. It appears as though the greens have been expanded (slowly cut back) by another 3-4 feet. It's really quite remarkable to see the transformation. Bruce Hepner and the old / new superintendent, (Jordan Caplan??), should be applauded.
"Bandon is like Chamonix for skiers or the North Shore of Oahu for surfers,” Rogers said. “It is where those who really care end up."

Peter Flory

« Reply #81 on: August 13, 2020, 03:38:26 PM »

Ira Fishman

« Reply #82 on: August 13, 2020, 04:11:24 PM »
We did not play Belvedere, but seeing Charlevoix in the Subject Line brought back great memories of our one trip to Northern Michigan some 30 years ago. It may be Covid induced nostalgia, but I can still taste cherries and see the beautiful lakes plus some good golf. A way under appreciated part of the US (and I am a City guy) where it looks as if the golf has only gotten better in the intervening years.

Ira

JLahrman

« Reply #83 on: August 13, 2020, 04:21:15 PM »
Yes, northern Michigan is great, I played Belvedere back in 2014 (along with Kingsley, thanks to a generous GCAer) when we went up to Charlevoix with my wife's family.
Lots of other great-looking courses in the area too, I'm hoping to get back up there. My in-laws
live in Grand Rapids, we go there every summer (except this one, thanks COVID) but I haven't been Up North since that trip in 2014. It was in the works for this year until we had to scrap our travel plans.

Carl Rogers

« Reply #84 on: August 13, 2020, 04:23:27 PM »
When the virus is over, Belvedere is an obvious play on a trip to the upper Midwest.
I decline to accept the end of man. ... William Faulkner

George Freeman

« Reply #85 on: August 13, 2020, 04:31:44 PM »
I grew up in Traverse City and played golf up there my entire life.  I had never heard of Belvedere GC until finding this website in my early/mid 20s.  And amazingly I have only played the course once, almost a decade ago.  I recall really enjoying the course and would have thought I would have been back to visit many times between then and now.  Time flies.  Clearly I need to get back.

I am obviously biased, but in my opinion there aren't too many better places to be in June-September than NW Michigan, golf-related or otherwise...
Mayhugh is my hero!!

"I love creating great golf courses.  I love shaping earth...it's a canvas." - Donald J. Trump

Cliff Hamm

« Reply #86 on: August 13, 2020, 04:36:53 PM »
Is there a state with better public access courses than Michigan, largely thanks to Northern Michigan? Yes, Oregon is at the top for quality,perhaps, but that is almost exclusively due to Bandon.  For depth of quality Michigan looks like the winner.

JC Jones

« Reply #87 on: August 13, 2020, 05:12:39 PM »
Is there a state with better public access courses than Michigan, largely thanks to Northern Michigan? Yes, Oregon is at the top for quality,perhaps, but that is almost exclusively due to Bandon.  For depth of quality Michigan looks like the winner.

I grew up in Michigan and spend a good chunk of every summer in Charlevoix so Im clearly biased.  Nonetheless, I think Michigan is the best state for public golf.

Anyone making a trip to northern Michigan for golf should spend a round at Belvedere.  Especially if they are driving right past it on their way to walk in the footsteps of Tom Coyne.
I get it, you are mad at the world because you are an adult caddie and few people take you seriously.

Excellent spellers usually lack any vision or common sense.

I know plenty of courses that are in the red, and they are killing it.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back