GolfClubAtlas.com > Golf Course Architecture

Belvedere GC, Charlevoix, MI

<< < (2/18) > >>

Tom_Doak:
Actually, Willie Watson's original bunkers probably had a bit of bank to them, but what's left now could be described as "tilted saucers," with no grass lip above them.  It's not the most beautiful look ... I'm sure lots of people here could build more beautiful bunkers ... but they had the desired effect and they couldn't be simpler to maintain.

In fact the bunkering is the main reason I said above that no one today is building anything like this ... everyone wants to show how creative they are.  Most clients want their members or their customers to stand on the tee and say "Wow!"  So everyone for the last twenty years in northern Michigan has spent more money to impress us, and most of those impressive things have failed to pay for themselves.

Belvedere is basically an old farm.  No wow factor, except in the detailing around the greens which is exceptional.

It was just a timely reminder about what golf really is.

Mike_Cirba:
Tom;

Are Watson's bunkers at Belvedere anything like the bunkers at Olympic Lake?  

They certainly aren't particularly artistic or fussy, yet they are unique and effective in their own way.  

Yancey_Beamer:
Tom,
I played Belvedere some years ago on the same trip that included us playing The Downs. This is a very intelligent course with no frills. In a conversation this week I included it in my list of the best courses I've played in this country.It's a joy.

Tom_Doak:
Mike,

Yes, come to think of it, the bunkers are quite a bit like Olympic's.

I was assuming that their present form was just a matter of the maintenance staff edging and changing the look over time.  Perhaps not, after all.

T_MacWood:
Here are some old images of Belvedere:

I suspect the bunkers have changed over time - I wouldn't characterize Watson's bunkers as dull. Certainly not as bold as some, but they were defintiely interesting. From these old pictures it doesn't appear he planted too many traps, relying on the interest of the terrain.

The 3rd photo down looks a little like the plan in Thomas's book (or is it Hunter's book).

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version