News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

JSPayne

Architect's New Years Resolutions
« on: January 11, 2008, 10:43:22 AM »
I hope this topic hasn't been covered yet, but I think most of us, as mainly golfers, have plenty of great New Years Resolutions (I was seriously considering "Not using a golf cart during golf for the whole year" but prefer not to set resolutions I know I'll negate in the first month :) ), but I'd be really interested to hear from the architects on this board what their Resolutions might be.....particularly their professional ones.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Jeff_Mingay

Re:Architect's New Years Resolutions
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2008, 10:48:33 AM »
I should probably have at least a few, but I don't  ;D
jeffmingay.com

Tom_Doak

« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2008, 01:32:19 PM »
1.  Take on more work than before, to let my associates show their stuff.

2.  Exceed expectations at Old Macdonald.

3.  Spend half as much time on Golf Club Atlas.

Bye!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2008, 01:37:06 PM »
Those are three damn fine resolutions, Tom D.  And although #3 will be our loss in here, #1 and #2 will mean a hell of a lot more for the golf world.

So you go, boy!

« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 01:37:17 PM by Tom Huckaby »

Tim Pitner

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2008, 01:58:04 PM »

Bye!

Tom,

What? . . . A resolution concerning the site of the former Mira Vista course didn't crack your top 3?

Lester George

« Reply #5 on: January 11, 2008, 02:41:29 PM »

1. Play more golf (practice included)

2. Fish More

3. Restore at least one more of my classic cars

Lester

paul cowley

« Reply #6 on: January 11, 2008, 03:41:23 PM »
1) To open two exciting new courses, Ricefields near Savannah, and Diamante Dunes in Cabo San Lucas.

2) To design and develop a 4,000 acre conservation community that will include a retro "green" golf course on a Pine Valley site.....with construction costs of under $800,000....and a three man maintenance crew.

3) To try to post more seriously, with much less humor, combined with biting criticism of others work and their personalities....persons both past and present.

4)....and as a result, post here a whole lot less. ;)

paul cowley...golf course architect/asgca

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #7 on: January 11, 2008, 04:23:58 PM »

2) To design and develop a 4,000 acre conservation community that will include a retro "green" golf course on a Pine Valley site.....with construction costs of under $800,000....and a three man maintenance crew.

This sounds like something we should talk right into the ground. Has this been in any threads?

PS To look for more on this I went to www.lovedesign.com.

Paul, can you offer any discounts on body tattoos?

paul cowley

« Reply #8 on: January 11, 2008, 04:58:57 PM »

This sounds like something we should talk right into the ground. Has this been in any threads?

PS To look for more on this I went to www.lovedesign.com.

Paul, can you offer any discounts on body tattoos?

;D ;D ;D....Love Golf Design was originally Love Enterprises, and you can imagine the off beat stuff that came our way.

Adding the Golf part has helped quite a bit.

The other resolution is still in the formative stage, but looks promising. Green, little cost, little water, little maintenance type courses have an increasing interest with me.

Of course people will have to learn to make do without any course workers whose job titles end in 'boy'....or girl :(

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #9 on: January 11, 2008, 05:08:43 PM »
No big deal, the mob fronts their operations with design firms all the time, too.

Are there any "model" courses or developments for what you're looking to do -- besides Ran's (apparently) abandoned bastard-orphan idea for The Carthage Club?  Where do you go for ideas / inspiration? (Please don't offer up that Tom Paul chestnut of "flask architecture"...)

PS Looks like you made it all the way to 11 January on resolution 3, at least subclause (A), of said resolution. Congrats!

paul cowley

« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2008, 05:22:07 PM »
....no Mark, you are wrong....that little comment wasn't humor at all. :(

....it was just a good example of some of my best biting criticism. :(
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 07:03:03 PM by paul cowley »

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2008, 05:53:53 PM »
Don't you mean the >:(?

Like this: "Maybe if all these >:( 'minimalists' and >:( 'naturalists' and >:( 'classicists' weren't a bunch of >:( hypocrites, I wouldn't have to explain to you what the >:( hell >:( I >:( am >:( going >:( to >:( do.  There'd be so many of these courses out there you'd call me a >:( g-d >:( copycat."

Kavanaugh doesn't use those things at all, and he's either brazenly provocative or astonishingly uneducated. But he can't seem to decide whether he wants to be a critic or a pundit, so maybe the >:(s have it.

Mark Bourgeois

« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2008, 05:54:28 PM »
Arggh, you ruined my post! Go put the  :( back right now...

Joel_Stewart

Re: Architect's New Years Resolutions
« Reply #13 on: December 31, 2014, 05:38:27 PM »
I enjoy going through the old posts and finding some of the more engaging threads.

Hopefully this will bring some interesting comments.

Tom_Doak

« Reply #14 on: December 31, 2014, 05:47:38 PM »

Bye!

My first resolution is entirely different ... I am happy for my associates to show their stuff, but I don't want to work as much.

Second resolution is the same, but different venue ... Forest Dunes this year.  That project reminds me a lot of Old Mac in some ways, because people have a vision of what they think I'm going to do, and I think we'll surprise them.

Third resolution is the same.  Sabbatical from Golf Club Atlas, starting right now.  I'll see you all after I get back from my South America trip in March.

P.S. to Tim Pitner:  The former Mira Vista turned out just fine, thanks to resolution #1.

Ian Andrew

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2015, 11:26:39 AM »
changed what I wrote ...

My answer is paint, travel, etc.
Try to expand the non-golf end of my life.

And finally write the evolution of Jasper Park piece that I always meant to write...

« Last Edit: January 03, 2015, 03:34:21 PM by Ian Andrew »
-

Scott Macpherson

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2015, 06:59:25 PM »
Calling them resolutions doesn't sound quite right, but here are some goals:

1. After a great deal of work researching and writing the book Golf's Royal Clubs, in 2015 I will focus back on designing golf courses.

2. Start work at Kersewell (www.kersewell.com)

3. Aim to design some wonderful tilting greens (if the situation allows for it).

4. Keep encouraging my clients to make the golfing experience fun for kids. This has become more important to me as my kids have shown an interest in the game. And promoting the next generation, and promoting family golf, makes good business sense for a golf facility.

5. It has always been my hope to design a course in the USA (where I once went to college at UC Davis). Maybe this year it will happen...?

Scott

Bill_McBride

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2015, 08:16:44 PM »
I hope this topic hasn't been covered yet, but I think most of us, as mainly golfers, have plenty of great New Years Resolutions (I was seriously considering "Not using a golf cart during golf for the whole year" but prefer not to set resolutions I know I'll negate in the first month :) ), but I'd be really interested to hear from the architects on this board what their Resolutions might be.....particularly their professional ones.

JSP, I suspect you don't live south of the Mason Dixon Line.   I'd like to be a purist too.......

Happy New Year!

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back