News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Sean_A

Re:Your Favorite Golf Image Ever
« Reply #100 on: January 11, 2008, 10:00:01 AM »

#5 Wallasey: This is a cool pic not because of the hole, though it is a fine hole indeed, but because the golfers have the right attitude about the game.

Ciao

"The right attitude about the game"?

Those idiots look like they are all pissing into the wind...on each other...

Sully

You have forgotten what its like to suck at golf.  Most of us piss into the wind.

Ciao

Sandy
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 10:16:56 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

JESII

« Reply #101 on: January 11, 2008, 10:13:48 AM »
I haven't forgotten that ("Sandy"?), but I'd never let you piss on me...

Scott Szabo

« Reply #102 on: January 11, 2008, 11:26:42 AM »

Even though it is of a friend, it is still my favourite image aesthetically - i like the contrast in colours :-P
I hope she doesn't mind my posting this, but in my mind it does maybe add to the photo, the fact that this was her 1st ever round of golf (and thus far her only). Good way to start!

Btw... yes that is her ball flying off on a very low trajectory. Sadly it didn't quite make it over the water, though the line was good.

First round ever?  at Augusta?  She is ruined for life.....
"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #103 on: January 11, 2008, 12:25:05 PM »
We have a winner.

Good call Sean.  18th in fact.

Just love how this hole defends its own self.  Nohing needed beyond what's already there.

It's the Foxy of Tazmania.

Not sure if it's my all time favorite image ... but it's been my screensaver for a long stretch now.

Pat

Without having a clue as to the quality of the hole, I can say that photo represents to me what golf is about - the land.  Is this Barnbougle?

Ciao

Sandy
“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #104 on: January 11, 2008, 12:37:35 PM »
Not sure if it's my all time favorite image ... but it's been my screensaver for a long stretch now.

I love the way the Beach and the Dunes just blend in with each other.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 12:40:32 PM by Matthew Hunt »

Mike Benham

« Reply #105 on: January 11, 2008, 01:11:01 PM »

"... and I liked the guy ..."

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #106 on: January 11, 2008, 02:22:51 PM »
One of the best days of my life...

Brian_Sleeman

« Reply #107 on: January 11, 2008, 02:29:14 PM »
And about a year and a half prior to that shot...

This one's also the first photo ever taken of my wife and I, with thanks to Kevin Frisch.  Also the first shot I ever took on Greywalls!

Norbert P

« Reply #108 on: January 11, 2008, 02:56:47 PM »
 Great images, folks.  Jason, Thanks for the trip back to Ben's Porch and Dick, thanks again for the Lawsonia hat - now a signed collectors item.

Though I don't care much about pro golf, this one transcends into Rockwellian sentiments.  I have this adjusted/colorized b/w photo on my wall. (Not sure what the technique is called)

Eddie Lowery and Francis Ouimet

Best golf image I've ever seen is a 17th/18th combo shot at Sandhills.  Wish I could find it.

« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 02:58:55 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tim Bert

« Reply #109 on: January 11, 2008, 10:38:52 PM »
While this wouldn't be the one you've seen before, I've found that any picture of 17/18 at Sand Hills is a good picture...

Michael Whitaker

« Reply #110 on: January 11, 2008, 10:47:48 PM »
Not a great photo, but filled with memories one of my favorite golf evenings... the Buda Cup IV dinner at Royal Liverpool

Also from Buda Cup IV... dubbed "The Long and the Short Of It." Jim Goby (Short) and Tony Muldoon (Long) prove that golf is a game for one and all!

"Solving the paradox of proportionality is the heart of golf architecture."  - Tom Doak (11/20/05)

CJ Carder

« Reply #111 on: January 11, 2008, 11:01:21 PM »
A view from our hotel room balcony at Rusack's (a.k.a. my first ever view of The Old Course).  I stood on the balcony for 2 hours until dinner that night and did nothing but look out at all that beauty!

Chip Gaskins

« Reply #112 on: January 11, 2008, 11:23:30 PM »
A view from our hotel room balcony at Rusack's (a.k.a. my first ever view of The Old Course).  I stood on the balcony for 2 hours until dinner that night and did nothing but look out at all that beauty!

ok...CJ wins...that pic has to be one of the coolest.  we all can see ourselves standing on the balcony, beer in hand....

Roger Tufts

« Reply #113 on: January 12, 2008, 05:27:23 PM »
I'm gonna have to go with either the picture Brad took of my dad on a 100 foot tall dune way above the fairway searching for his ball at Enniscrone (though we didn't enjoy the course all too much)

or this one...

Me, Brad, our father, and our trip-partner Tim  Howes on the 4th Tee at Royal County Down last summer.

Or this one...

Me, Brad, and our dad behind the 5th green at Royal Portrush last summer.

or finally, this one...

Same three guys with the Old Tom Morris Statue at Rosapenna last summer
Cornell University '11 - Tedesco Country Club - Next Golf Vacation: Summer 2015 @ Nova Scotia & PEI (14 Rounds)

Marty Bonnar

« Reply #114 on: January 12, 2008, 06:00:05 PM »
Still absolutely utterly in love with this image...

Boy, I so want that to be me one day.

FBD.
The White River runs dark through the heart of the Town,
Washed the people coal-black from the hole in the ground.

Joe Hancock

« Reply #115 on: January 12, 2008, 07:03:43 PM »

Boy, I so want that to be me one day.

FBD.

That..that.....you mean you want to be a flagstick???????

Helluva diet you're on, GBD...... ;D
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Josh Smith

« Reply #116 on: January 14, 2008, 11:21:11 PM »

That is too perfect, David, yours takes the cake in my book

Previously here were two of my favorites. Julian Graham's shot of MacKenzie Teeing off on 9

And a photo Josh Pettit found in an old golf magazine of 4 at Pebble.  (anyone know why that flagstick is nearly 10' tall)

Norbert P

« Reply #117 on: January 15, 2008, 12:34:11 AM »
 I think that's Billy Barty holding the flagstick.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

JSPayne

« Reply #118 on: January 15, 2008, 10:06:21 AM »

That is too perfect, David, yours takes the cake in my book

Previously here were two of my favorites. Julian Graham's shot of MacKenzie Teeing off on 9

And a photo Josh Pettit found in an old golf magazine of 4 at Pebble.  (anyone know why that flagstick is nearly 10' tall)

My guess as to the flagstick Josh, assuming it was an actual question and not a joke or rhetorical one, is that if it were any shorter, a white flag would blend in with the sand in the back dunes making the pin almost impossible to pick out from a distance.
"To be nobody but yourself in a world which is doing it's best, night and day, to make you everybody else means to fight the hardest battle any human being can fight; and never stop fighting." -E.E. Cummings

Joe Bentham

« Reply #119 on: January 15, 2008, 01:55:25 PM »
Great images, folks.  Jason, Thanks for the trip back to Ben's Porch and Dick, thanks again for the Lawsonia hat - now a signed collectors item.

Though I don't care much about pro golf, this one transcends into Rockwellian sentiments.  I have this adjusted/colorized b/w photo on my wall. (Not sure what the technique is called)

Eddie Lowery and Francis Ouimet

What does this image have to do with pro golf?  Francis was a career amateur.

Joe Bentham

« Reply #120 on: January 15, 2008, 01:59:35 PM »

...those in the "know" know...

It still amazes me how private people think the sheep ranch is.  It isn't.  The limited amount of play can be attributed to the lack of irrigation and the need for the fire truck in the picture.  But when its open getting on isn't much of a feat at all.

Tim Copeland

« Reply #121 on: January 15, 2008, 02:08:15 PM »

#4 at Isleworth

#2 at Merion

Short Game area at Isleworth

Tiger with his double spinner golf cart
I need a nickname so I can tell all that I know.....

TEPaul

« Reply #122 on: January 15, 2008, 02:23:33 PM »
"Hands down my favorite image is a picture of Billy Joe Patton standing at the ball washer on the first tee of Winged Foot in 1959, washing a ball to play the first round of the US Open.
Arnold Palmer is in the background.
It put in perspective the importance of the event as it pertained to the working stiff amateur. Patton was both a great competitor and a great player, yet sensible enough to conserve the assets that he himself paid for."

Michael j:

I might be able to do you an image one better than even that and of Billy Joe Patton too.

I bought a clipout from an old SPORTS magazine at a country antique fair the other day with that photo of Billy Joe with a ton of people with periscopes behind him with his shoes off and his pants all rolled up having just hit that fatal chip on ANGC's 13th that led to that disasterous 7 that took out his chances of winning the Masters. That's one great image and it shows the aggressive and competitive nature of Billy Joe Patton in spades.

But I can add to that with another story of Billy Joe's competitive nature.

Billy Joe and my Dad were playing against a team in the USSGA at Shinnecock. Before they teed off Billy Joe let on to Dad that he didn't like either of the players on the other team and he'd very much appreciate it if he and Dad beat their brains out.

So out on the 16th hole things are pretty tight and it was Billy Joe's putt but Dad was inside him with a putt that probably didn't matter. Billy Joe asks Dad to putt and at that point one of the opponents moisied over and slapped Dad's ball away.

Billy Joe erupted with "Yu caaan't tuuch ma pardner's ball Gaad dammit!"

So Dad goes over to Billy Joe and turns him around for a moment and explains to him that of course they can touch his ball and concede his putt.

With that Billy Joe turns back around and bellows, "Well, if either of you sons of biitches tri tu tuuuch ma ball, I'll keeell ya!"

Bob_Huntley

« Reply #123 on: January 15, 2008, 02:44:09 PM »
Tom,

What was Billy Joe's beef with the Honchos at Augusta that caused him to resign? I think he came back later when the club had a new president.

bob

Garland Bayley

« Reply #124 on: January 15, 2008, 03:44:46 PM »
I have never been there, but this image has to be about my favorite.

IMO the range of light is outstanding in this picture, so much so I think Ansel Adams would be proud of it. The composition is wonderful too, with the green placed in ideal position as the bunker on the left leads you right into it.

Ran doesn't give credit to the photographer in the review, so I have to assume he shot the pictures himself, and did a wonderful job too.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back