News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Lloyd_Cole

Re:Your Favorite Golf Image Ever
« Reply #50 on: January 04, 2008, 10:19:26 AM »
John H and Michael Hendren:

The photo of Hogan and Palmer waiting to hit on the 2nd tee at Augusta is also my favorite. In fact, I have a copy signed by both Hogan and Palmer. I think it is probably one of a kind.

Jim Lewis
I wonder who signed it first? Neither would have been thrilled, under normal circumstances, to see the signatures together. They never made up, did they?

jim_lewis

« Reply #51 on: January 04, 2008, 10:47:51 AM »
Lloyd:

Here is the story. I showed the photo to a friend who was a sales rep for Hogan equipment. He said that he had just been named salesman of the year and was to be presented the award by Mr. Hogan at a sales conference in Pinehurst. He offered to ask Ben to sign it, but assured me that he must sign it FIRST and that Ben would never sign it if Palmer had already done so. He took the photo to Pinehurst, but Hogan was sick and unable to attend. A few weeks later he was invited to Hogan's office in Ft. Worth. He took the photo and persuaded Ben to sign it there.

A friend, Mr. Jimmy Harris, was a member at ANGC and a friend of a friend of Arnie. Mr. Harris founded the Quail Hollow club in Charlotte. Arnie was a member and owned a home and a Cadilac dealership in Charlotte. Anyway, Mr. Harris suggested that I come by his cabin during the Masters and bring the photo. When I arrived, he and Arnie were having a drink. (This was about 1983.) He introduced me to Arnie and asked him to sign it for me. He did so without commenting on Ben's signature.

Unfortunately both signed with ball point pens and I have made no special effort to preserve the signatures. It has hung on the wall in my den for over 20 years, and the signatures have faded to the point that you have to look closely to see them.

I have no documents to prove the authenticity of the signatures, but I know, and that is all that matters to me.

I am not an autograph collector. The only other autograph I have is a used glove signed by Arnie that my wife bought at a charity auction.

I have thought about selling the Hogan/Palmer photo, since my kids will not appreciate it, but I just have never made the effort.

Jim
"Crusty"  Jim
Freelance Curmudgeon

Mike Hendren

« Reply #52 on: January 04, 2008, 10:55:36 AM »
Apologies for side tracking:

Jim,

I have the same issue with a baseball signed by the 1967 St. Louis Cardinals (everybody except Curt Flood :P).  Only Cepeda and Schoendienst signatures are legible.  Carlton, Gibson, Maris, Brock, McCarver among others are tough to make out.  To me it's priceless.

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

PThomas

« Reply #53 on: January 04, 2008, 10:58:09 AM »
so what was the beef between Hogan and Arnie/how did it start?
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #54 on: January 04, 2008, 11:10:55 AM »
Others here must know the details better than I do -- and Hogan never said much of anything about it, as far as I've been able to learn -- but Palmer has written often that Hogan simply never accepted him when he was a young pro, and the coolness continued throughout their encounters on tour.

When Palmer first made a splash at the Masters, Hogan was surprised and said, "Johnny Palmer?" (another pro during the '50s), and he was informed, "No, Arnold Palmer." Hogan had seen enough of Palmer's swing to dismiss him as a guy who'd never win consistently, but Palmer obviously surprised him. Maybe Hogan didn't like to be wrong, and maybe he resented the fact that a guy who had obviously ignored his book had supplanted him as the star of the tour.

Whatever it was, Palmer says Hogan always addressed him as "Fella," never Arnold or Arnie, and Palmer resented that. In a recent Golf Digest interview, Palmer brought it up again, and it was apparent he still hasn't forgiven Hogan.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Ryan Farrow

« Reply #55 on: January 04, 2008, 11:40:51 AM »

probably my favorite view of any course.  I am still working on the perfect picture of it.

Now that is pretty cool.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #56 on: January 04, 2008, 11:59:38 AM »
Brian,

Your photo reminded me of this one I snapped:

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #57 on: January 04, 2008, 12:16:01 PM »
I think those NGLA photos are cool because we assume each of you got inside the gates and did play.

But to me they would be depressing as hell without that assumption... both of those pictures evoke "so close, but yet so far" with great eloquence.

Which makes each of them wonderful art... but potentially very sad.

TH

Bill_McBride

« Reply #58 on: January 04, 2008, 12:24:17 PM »
My best caddie ever - Bruce Sorley (right), 35 years a caddie at the Old Course.  Nobody has ever figured out my miserable game more quickly and been more help to me once he did.  We had two great rounds together, Old Course forward and backward.  I highly recommend Bruce if you are looking for a top caddie in St Andrews - he gets premium pay but is worth every quid.  ;D

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #59 on: January 04, 2008, 12:41:45 PM »
That is a great picture, Bill.  I'm just non-seriously ashamed of you for failing to wear a collar at the home of golf.

TH

ps - hopefully someone will remember the LENGHTY discussion about this issue from several years ago... I was a vehement advocate of the style of shirt Bill is wearing being appropriate anywhere... several vehemently disagreed....

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #60 on: January 04, 2008, 12:44:21 PM »
I think those NGLA photos are cool because we assume each of you got inside the gates and did play.

I thought there must be a jail or mental health facility nearby.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #61 on: January 04, 2008, 12:54:10 PM »
That is a great picture, Bill.  I'm just non-seriously ashamed of you for failing to wear a collar at the home of golf.

TH

ps - hopefully someone will remember the LENGHTY discussion about this issue from several years ago... I was a vehement advocate of the style of shirt Bill is wearing being appropriate anywhere... several vehemently disagreed....

It's not a tee shirt, it's a turtleneck.  It was about 48* and I was nice and toasty in my turtleneck.

PThomas

« Reply #62 on: January 04, 2008, 01:07:47 PM »

i wish i could scan in and post here a picture of then Fat Jack wearing t-shirt type collars during the 60s...

197 played, only 3 to go!!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #63 on: January 04, 2008, 01:30:52 PM »
Oh heck Bill, whatever it is, it's great by me.  You look smashing.  I just wanted to dredge up old wounds, that's all.

;D

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #64 on: January 04, 2008, 02:17:30 PM »

« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 02:20:47 PM by Rick Shefchik »
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Art Roselle

« Reply #65 on: January 04, 2008, 02:25:51 PM »
If you eliminate sentimental value (Dad, friends, etc.), my favorite image might be Doak's picture of TOC on pg. 55 of the Confidential Guide.  If you show it to someone who doesn't know what it is, he will insist it is a picture of a driving range.  As TD says, it "cannot be deciphered at first glance".  It is my favorite picture to show people who haven't been there, just to see the confused reaction.

Sorry I could not find it online and did not take the time to try to scan it, but if you have the book you have surely seen it.

Rick Shefchik

« Reply #66 on: January 04, 2008, 02:45:59 PM »
Here you go, Art.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #67 on: January 04, 2008, 05:06:31 PM »
How about this one?

Oh, wait, I'm sorry, that's from the MOMA.  I meant this one:

« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 05:07:45 PM by Jay Flemma »

Brian Brown

« Reply #68 on: January 04, 2008, 05:39:10 PM »

« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 06:36:30 PM by Brian Brown »

Brian Brown

« Reply #69 on: January 04, 2008, 06:35:31 PM »

But to me they would be depressing as hell without that assumption... both of those pictures evoke "so close, but yet so far" with great eloquence.

Which makes each of them wonderful art... but potentially very sad.

TH

I have never had the pleasure of playing the course or even walking the course. I have been taking photos of the course(from outside the gates)for the last 4 years.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 06:36:56 PM by Brian Brown »

Jason Hines

« Reply #70 on: January 04, 2008, 10:30:35 PM »

Sutton Bay Porch on a cold April evening.

Good Group, my first GCA.com adventure on Ben's porch.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 10:36:15 PM by Jason_Hines »

Jason Blasberg

« Reply #71 on: January 04, 2008, 11:10:58 PM »
Thanks!

JD and JB are correct - my god, what an idiot I am...  :(

But Jay Flemma was not there.  I have not met him.

TH

Standing from right to left is Daryl Boe (that weekend, aka "Blue Guy" for his shirt) me, and then to my right (to the left in the picture) is Joe Perches

Bill_McBride

« Reply #72 on: January 04, 2008, 11:16:16 PM »
Thanks!

JD and JB are correct - my god, what an idiot I am...  :(

But Jay Flemma was not there.  I have not met him.

TH

Standing from right to left is Daryl Boe (that weekend, aka "Blue Guy" for his shirt) me, and then to my right (to the left in the picture) is Joe Perches

Dick Daley and I were missing from the photo, got lost looking for Longshadow!  ::) :-X

Jay Flemma

« Reply #73 on: January 05, 2008, 01:51:38 PM »
Even I did a doubletake when I saw that pic...he does look like me, sans beard :D

G Jones

« Reply #74 on: January 06, 2008, 11:58:14 AM »

Even though it is of a friend, it is still my favourite image aesthetically - i like the contrast in colours :-P
I hope she doesn't mind my posting this, but in my mind it does maybe add to the photo, the fact that this was her 1st ever round of golf (and thus far her only). Good way to start!

Btw... yes that is her ball flying off on a very low trajectory. Sadly it didn't quite make it over the water, though the line was good.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back