News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Josh Smith

Your Favorite Golf Image Ever
« on: January 03, 2008, 06:55:31 AM »
   What is yours? Purely from an aesthetic sense, ie. (lets keep it objective, no family members, friend who passed on  that makes it a keeper, my first par hole :P etc.)

Whether it is a hand drawn course layout map, a black and white aerial, a Julian Graham photo as found in Geoff Shackelfords CPC book, a photo like some of the black and white beauties found in the British Golf Links book (which I am eagerly awaiting as a Amazon self Xmas gift), a photo you or a buddy has taken, a MacKenzie or Tillinghast hole sketch, Simpson Sketch, a current day photographers color shot, Hogans 1 Iron.  A Harry Roundtree watercolor as found in the Golf Courses of the British Isles book (another Amazon self Xmas gift I hope shows up tomorrow) Something at Augusta.  A photo of a blown out scrubby property that inspires in you what you feel golf should be.  What is it?  

I usually tend to love black and white stuff.  Go figure.  I will have to think about it some more over the next day or two before I single out one image.  But MacKenzie teeing off on 9 at Cypress (Julian Graham) is my early favorite.  It will be difficult to choose only 1.  

This may be a neat study to see how peoples tastes vary.

michael_j_fay

Re:Your Favorite Golf Image Ever
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2008, 07:54:17 AM »
Hands down my favorite image is a picture of Billy Joe Patton standing at the ball washer on the first tee of Winged Foot in 1959, washing a ball to play the first round of the US Open.
Arnold Palmer is in the background.

It put in perspective the importance of the event as it pertained to the working stiff amateur. Patton was both a great competitor and a great player, yet sensible enough to conserve the assets that he himself paid for.

Dan Herrmann

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2008, 08:10:48 AM »
Hogan hitting his 1-iron to the 18th green at Merion.

For just scenery, I'm partial any good image of Pacific Dunes #11.

Joshua Pettit

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2008, 08:58:59 AM »

This one is for Dan.  Josh, I love your original of the 11th at Pacific...But I'm with you, I prefer old black and whites, such as many from the Julian Graham collection, or this one Pebble that I found in an old golf magazine, How cool are the artificial sand dunes?  Also I drove up the east coast of southern Scotland yesterday, it is incredible!  I stopped and saw a few courses before getting to Edinburgh, including North Berwick.  When I get back from my travels I'll provide you with a bunch of great photos, perhaps a few will inspire a painting.

« Last Edit: January 04, 2008, 02:59:52 AM by Josh Pettit »
"The greatest and fairest of things are done by nature, and the lesser by art."

PThomas

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2008, 09:44:03 AM »
the picture of Jack and Tom walking off 18 at the end of their battle at Turnberry
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Peter Nomm

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2008, 10:51:26 AM »
1995 Masters - the image as Ben holes the final putt and breaks down.

Probably my favorite golf moment ever.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2008, 10:59:26 AM »
For golf moments, it has to be:

Maybe... yes sir!

1986 Masters.  All Jack fans know exactly what I just described.

But I don't think that's what Josh is asking about.  He wants actual pictures I think.  And really my favorite is the one used as my screen-saver... has been for several years now.  This photo was taken by former GCA regular Paul Turner, who claimed it to be no big deal... man I think it's perfection.

For images that bring a smile, I can't do better than this... from the first Dixie Cup.

JohnH

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2008, 11:06:37 AM »
Favorite picture has to be Arnold Palmer and Ben Hogan together standing leaning on their drivers with cigarette's dangling at the 1966 Masters.

Other than that any photo of Ballybunion Old, Dornoch, or Old Head.

« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 11:35:53 AM by JohnH »

Scott Szabo

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2008, 11:18:18 AM »

Maybe... yes sir!

But I don't think that's what Josh is asking about.  He wants actual pictures I think.  And really my favorite is the one used as my screen-saver... has been for several years now.  This photo was taken by former GCA regular Paul Turner, who claimed it to be no big deal... man I think it's perfection.

For images that bring a smile, I can't do better than this... from the first Dixie Cup.

Huck,

I knew you would beat me to this.  It's apparent you share the same love for Sand Hills as do I.

"So your man hit it into a fairway bunker, hit the wrong side of the green, and couldn't hit a hybrid off a sidehill lie to take advantage of his length? We apologize for testing him so thoroughly." - Tom Doak, 6/29/10

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2008, 11:23:07 AM »
Scott - indeed I do.  That's a hell of a picture, huh?

I swear that picture gets me through some bad days...

TH

JohnH

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2008, 11:26:37 AM »
This one's for Dan:

Peter Nomm

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2008, 11:27:58 AM »
Wow - Paul must really know someone to have gotten a sky like that.  

Remember in "Field of Dreams" when they asked if it was heaven, and Costner replied, "No, this is Iowa."  He was wrong - heaven on earth is in the middle of Nebraska!

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2008, 11:33:22 AM »
Peter:  100% agreed!  I commented on that sky to Paul and he said something to the effect of "just lucky, I guess."  He is way too modest.  Man that picture is something....

And you are oh so right about heaven on earth.

;D

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2008, 11:33:29 AM »
Bette Lichtenstein on the 9th hole of Cypress Point, moving her ball away from some deer pooh and then making a 2.

Priceless
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2008, 11:35:44 AM »
Cary - please tell us you have a picture of at least some part of that... that is priceless for sure!

Did she drive the green?  If not from how far out was the hole out?

Sean_A

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2008, 11:44:40 AM »

Maybe... yes sir!

AwsHuckster

I know it has been done more than once before, but could you identify the folks in the Dixie pic?  I know the three chuckleheads  standing diagonally from left to right starting with JakaB.  

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 03, 2008, 11:46:57 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

ANTHONYPIOPPI

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2008, 11:46:31 AM »
I'm going with these two from the 2005 Open Championship...

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2008, 11:50:55 AM »
AP - those are very cool.

Sean - I've embarassingly forgotten the names of a couple... so rather than embarass myself further I won't make the attempt.  Perhaps someone else not losing short-term memory can ID everyone.

That was a great afternoon... massive skins game using hickories at Cuscowilla.

Just for a taste anyway, the one of the far left (as you look at the pic) is indeed the one and only John Kavanaugh.

;D

cary lichtenstein

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2008, 11:56:37 AM »
Cary - please tell us you have a picture of at least some part of that... that is priceless for sure!

Did she drive the green?  If not from how far out was the hole out?

I don't have a picture, but I can still see the steam coming out of the pooh and mixing with the low lying fog like it was yesterday.

She hit a wood and we saw it dissappear into the cup and we all started jumping around, and forgot about the pooh for the moment ;D
Live Jupiter, Fl, was  4 handicap, played top 100 US, top 75 World. Great memories, no longer play, 4 back surgeries. I don't miss a lot of things about golf, life is simpler with out it. I miss my 60 degree wedge shots, don't miss nasty weather, icing, back spasms. Last course I played was Augusta

Sean_A

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2008, 11:59:07 AM »
AP - those are very cool.

Sean - I've embarassingly forgotten the names of a couple... so rather than embarass myself further I won't make the attempt.  Perhaps someone else not losing short-term memory can ID everyone.

That was a great afternoon... massive skins game using hickories at Cuscowilla.

Just for a taste anyway, the one of the far left (as you look at the pic) is indeed the one and only John Kavanaugh.

;D

Aw AwsHuckster - what kind of California copout is that?  You need to live somewhere else for a spell - get a dose of life.  I can identify a few

Back left - JakaB

From JakaB on the back row four more across is Big Ed Galbavy (I think).  The gut two right of JakaB looks very familiar = probably from California!

Middle Row: Brian Gracely on left with you to his right.  I can only conclude that the guy on your right is Brian's brother or there were some shenanigan's going on in a certain Detroit suburb.

I think the two far right kneelers are Tuco (?) & Mike Too Tall Sweeney.

Ciao
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Turnberry, Isle of Harris, Benbecula, Askernish, Traigh, St Medan, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Mike Benham

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2008, 11:59:48 AM »
"... and I liked the guy ..."

Mike Hendren

« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2008, 12:01:17 PM »
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

John Kavanaugh

« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2008, 12:07:40 PM »

I think the two far right kneelers are Tuco (?) & Mike Too Tall Sweeney.

Ciao

No and no.  I have never met Tuco and Sweeney is not that well dressed or good looking.  The dapper gentleman is Carly Rood I believe.  You should have seen his golf bag that matched his outfit.

I do like that picture because next to you guys I don't look 6'4'' 283 lbs.  What a big group.

Chris Parker

« Reply #23 on: January 03, 2008, 12:20:00 PM »
I've always been fond of Mackenzie's map of the Old Course...
"Undulation is the soul of golf." - H.N. Wethered

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #24 on: January 03, 2008, 12:22:00 PM »
Sean - it's just embarassing as hell to me that I have misplaced some of these names.

But what the hell.... huge apologies to those I miss....

Left to right:

JK
Brian Gracely
Pete L
yours truly
Doug Wright
Mike Hendren (kneeling)
Gracely brother
Sarge Cullum
Lou Duran
Mike Nuzzo
Ed Galbavy

from there it gets fuzzy... I suck!

but Carlyle Rood is kneeling, and Daryl Boe is the big man with the cigar.

TH

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back