News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Rick Shefchik

Re:Your Favorite Golf Image Ever
« Reply #75 on: January 06, 2008, 12:14:59 PM »
Yes, she's obviously a bright student. On her first visit, she knew that you don't fire at the right side of this green.
"Golf is 20 percent mechanics and technique. The other 80 percent is philosophy, humor, tragedy, romance, melodrama, companionship, camaraderie, cussedness and conversation." - Grantland Rice

Josh Smith

« Reply #76 on: January 06, 2008, 12:52:05 PM »
G Jones.

This image gets a free pass, beyond the sentimental value of it, there is architectural merit for sure.  Thanks for sharing.  A few other great photos above as well.  

Josh

Michael Robin

« Reply #77 on: January 06, 2008, 01:48:00 PM »
Evan Fleisher -

Sheep Ranch?

Evan Fleisher

« Reply #78 on: January 06, 2008, 05:25:33 PM »
Yeppers!

That contraption is their watering system...
Born Rochester, MN. Grew up Miami, FL. Live Cleveland, OH. Handicap 12.2. Have 24 & 21 year old girls and wife of 27 years. I'm a Senior Supply Chain Business Analyst for Vitamix. Diehard walker, but tolerate cart riders! Love to travel, always have my sticks with me. Mollydooker for life!

John Pflum

« Reply #79 on: January 07, 2008, 08:12:45 AM »
[quote author=Ian Andrew This is my 78 year old father at This was the trip my father and I never thought he would make after two battles with cancer and having to walk away from golf. This was the final day of the trip and by far his best round on a hell of a windy day.

What a great photo, Ian.  I have a similar one of a trip my dad and I took to Bandon a couple of years ago.  
--
jvdp

Ed Oden

« Reply #80 on: January 08, 2008, 10:34:07 PM »
I have two personal favorites.  The first was snapped walking off the 18th green at Shinnecock as the sun set and fog rolled in.  The second shows the flags on the 15th, 12th and 4th holes at Bandon Dunes.

Ed

C. Squier

« Reply #81 on: January 08, 2008, 10:45:06 PM »
GREAT pictures Ed!  Very artistic, yet still looks like it was taken by an actual golfer.  Very cool.

CPS

Ed Oden

« Reply #82 on: January 08, 2008, 10:49:17 PM »
Thanks.  Trust me, there was NO skill involved.  In both cases, we just turned around and the pictures were just right there in front of us.

Ed

Brian_Ewen

« Reply #83 on: January 08, 2008, 10:57:20 PM »
Ed
Never underestimate , or put down the ability of your eye , to see the photo opportunity .
« Last Edit: January 08, 2008, 10:58:40 PM by Brian_Ewen »

Tim Bert

« Reply #84 on: January 08, 2008, 11:09:35 PM »
Looks like Ed and I had the same thought...

Tim Bert

« Reply #85 on: January 08, 2008, 11:11:19 PM »
... and one of my favs from a more recent trip to Bandon

Ed Oden

« Reply #86 on: January 08, 2008, 11:52:10 PM »
Tim, I figured we weren't the first group to snap that picture.  I assume Kidd purposefully designed those holes to create that visual.  I can't think of another course where at least 3 greens line up that way so close together.  Does anyone know of other similar designs?

Ed

Patrick Kiser

« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2008, 01:03:46 AM »
Not sure if it's my all time favorite image ... but it's been my screensaver for a long stretch now.

“One natural hazard, however, which is more
or less of a nuisance, is water. Water hazards
absolutely prohibit the recovery shot, perhaps
the best shot in the game.” —William Flynn, golf
course architect

Sean_A

« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2008, 01:56:19 AM »
Not sure if it's my all time favorite image ... but it's been my screensaver for a long stretch now.

Pat

Without having a clue as to the quality of the hole, I can say that photo represents to me what golf is about - the land.  Is this Barnbougle?

Ciao

Sandy
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Michael Dugger

« Reply #89 on: January 11, 2008, 03:14:37 AM »
totally Barnbougle, Sean...

I have always fancied.......

I could do this exercise for days.....
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Sean_A

« Reply #90 on: January 11, 2008, 04:44:48 AM »
I shall post a few of my favourites of 2007.

#5 Wallasey: This is a cool pic not because of the hole, though it is a fine hole indeed, but because the golfers have the right attitude about the game.

#1 Nairn - keep it simple.

All the other photos are a reminder of what golf can be if we keep an open mind.  Of course, I am referring to Kington.  In 2008 I hope to convince some GCAers to give up the odd tee time at a trophy club and come have a look.  I can guarantee two things: you will never have seen a course like Kington before and you will not forget your experience of Kington.  Besides, how can you not want to visit a course which cuts its fairways once per year?

A sneak preview of the 18th - Kington does sit on a hill!

Tee shot at #4.  Show me a shot which looks more natural than this.

Sideview of the 15th.  The sun shows off the micro-undulations wonderfully.

Approach to #17.  The fairways are necessarily wide because of the wind at 1200 feet, but random bad lies which make ball flight difficult to control are enough challenge for nearly all.  You will learn to worm burn shots or feel there aren't enough spanners in your bag to do the job.

Tee shot #18.  This one is to freak out Mark B.

From behind the 18th.  The scale of Kington is incredible.

Ciao
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 04:45:57 AM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Marc Haring

« Reply #91 on: January 11, 2008, 05:53:03 AM »

Only cut the fairways once a year? Isn't that a mower in front of the green Sean? ;)

Sean_A

« Reply #92 on: January 11, 2008, 06:04:48 AM »

Only cut the fairways once a year? Isn't that a mower in front of the green Sean? ;)

Marc

What they don't tell you is that the 4 legged mowers (the only kind that make sense at Kington) do a hell of a job with the greens as well!

Ciao

Sandy

Marc Haring

« Reply #93 on: January 11, 2008, 06:26:19 AM »
How do they train them to mow the greens at the right height of cut?

Joe Hancock

« Reply #94 on: January 11, 2008, 06:31:36 AM »

From what I've observed of the Scots, they stand behind the sheep and keep a firm grip on the head of the sheep....must be how they control the height of cut......

:)
" What the hell is the point of architecture and excellence in design if a "clever" set up trumps it all?" Peter Pallotta, June 21, 2016

"People aren't picking a side of the fairway off a tee because of a randomly internally contoured green ."  jeffwarne, February 24, 2017

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #95 on: January 11, 2008, 06:37:59 AM »
Sean,

Where's the sand bunkers, dude?!?!   :o ;)

Sean_A

« Reply #96 on: January 11, 2008, 06:47:16 AM »

From what I've observed of the Scots, they stand behind the sheep and keep a firm grip on the head of the sheep....must be how they control the height of cut......

:)

I was taught that sheep had poor eyes so they must hear the grass grow.  Its an odd thing to watch sheep gnaw away at greens when there is all this (apparently unattractive) brown grass growing.  It may be an ingenious scheme.  

1. The course is on a hill where water just runs toward the valleys.  

2. Most of the greens have banking which not only makes the game possible on the hillsides, but also serves to collect water around the greens for at least a bit of time.

3. This extra water keeps the grass lusher on the greens and attracts sheep when the grass begins to grow.

4. If one can put up with the odd bit of ship shit on the greens and moreso in the fairways, then the 3 way symbiotic relationship between nature, man & sheep works extremely well.  Well, it makes for very cheap memberships anyway.  International Membership is very economical, you get a tie!
http://www.kingtongolf.co.uk/membership.html

Ciao

Sandy
« Last Edit: January 11, 2008, 06:49:25 AM by Sean Arble »

John Mayhugh

« Reply #97 on: January 11, 2008, 08:39:51 AM »
I have a print of this photo hanging in my office.  

Among photos I have taken, this one from the Island in Ireland gets me wanting to hop on a plane tomorrow.

Paul Sinclair

« Reply #98 on: January 11, 2008, 09:31:06 AM »
Here is one taken during the renovation of my home course. This is not a pretty picture but the pride of what is being accomplished shows in the faces of the guys in this picture I think.

JESII

« Reply #99 on: January 11, 2008, 09:48:54 AM »

#5 Wallasey: This is a cool pic not because of the hole, though it is a fine hole indeed, but because the golfers have the right attitude about the game.

Ciao

"The right attitude about the game"?

Those idiots look like they are all pissing into the wind...on each other...

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back