News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Naccarato

Re: Hidden Creek course profile is posted
« Reply #75 on: September 19, 2021, 02:25:49 PM »
Sort of a vapid response of mine with no explanation…

Hidden Creek is my kind of “Golf Land’. So walkable but interesting enough features that were exposed by a mastermind of Golf Routing.  The best way to play Hidden Creek is from the green back while standing on the tee.  Every great strategy and challenge to the pin is exposed.  It’s Coore & Crenshaw 101 and their talents are seen every where, mind you also inspired by James “The Duke” Duncan who led the construction for them.  He brings this English Heathlands touch that has you thinking that you’re missing the good things in life by not seeing Sunningdale!

The 8th green is simply brilliant….  The 8th hole is a hole you could play for the rest of your life!  Oddly, it was the subject of some (imho) horrible critique from Ron Whitten, who along with Stephen Kay were publicly critical (on this website and in Golf Digest) because of a incredibly cool looking access road that came into view from the tee, that was dressed in natives.  When Ron’s critique was questioned here, he reacted harshly and I don’t think he ever participated on Golf Club Atlas ever again…

With its solitary, centerline nose bunker in the center of the fairway; ingenious fairway shaping to a brilliant green with a buried Woolley Mammoth buried in its off-center, a slew of different lines or paths to the hole become evident!  You just want to go right back to the 8th tee and go again!

For those of you fortunate for an invite, take it!  A wonderful place to golf your ball!

Joe Bausch

« Reply #76 on: September 19, 2021, 03:47:21 PM »
Thanks for the detailed response, Tommy!

A hole-by-hole tour of Hidden Creek from 2015 is here:

http://www80.homepage.villanova.edu/joseph.bausch/images/albums/HiddenCreek/index.html

@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #77 on: September 19, 2021, 06:36:10 PM »
HC is one of those courses where you add up your score you think to yourself, "I should have shot X shots better." I played with Jim on Saturday and I am sure he thought that. It has some greens that can make you just look silly if you do not 1. read them properly, 2. strike the ball properly. First timers should take and listen to a caddy. I am sorry I didn't get one for Jim. He had to rely on my poor memory and poor green reading skills[size=78%].[/size]
[/size]
[/size][size=78%]HC is brilliantly routed. It keeps you off balance. As you play the course it is difficult to know where you are in relation to the holes you just played. Bill Coore walked the property for three weeks before he and Ben agreed to build the course. The terrain was all trees and undergrowth. I would love to had followed him around just to see how he does his job. There is lake but it does not come into play. I wonder how many other architects would have ignored it. It is a course to be enjoyed. [/size]
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back