News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

3-Putt

Re: Will we ever see Maxwellian greens again?
« Reply #25 on: August 07, 2002, 10:59:30 AM »

3-putt:

I agree about Friar's greens although I haven't played the course. But looking at them with Coore and Bakst and discussing them sort of blew me away too. One in particular, #7, generally front left has a feature that I think is unbelievably original and creative architecturally!

Before it was explained to me I thought there's no real way to get a ball from the front right to the front left without basically having the ball go off the green. I've seen a lot of good and creative greens in my life and I'm a pretty good and imaginative putter but to me that front section looked like a total "greens within a green" deal which to me is basically there really isn't much way to get from here to there without an expected 3 putt.

Then Bakst showed me how you do it! Man, I never would have seen the way to do it! That is not only one of the best and most interesting greens but those two juxtaposed front sections are about as creative as I've seen anywhere. There's a way but you almost have to be told what it is.

It's not that much different than the Zorro or modified Zorro putt on PVGC's #2. I thought I was in an impossible positon on that green not long ago for a right front pin but the caddie told me how to do the modified Zorro putt. I'd heard about it but I'd never tried it or saw it done! My first reaction to his advice was sort of; "yeah right!", but since I couldn't see any other way I tried it and it went in for a birdie to win an overtime match. It had to have been the weirdest and most fun putt I ever tried and it was by no means short.

I don't know how much break I played maybe 35+ feet but the caddie was holding the pin and when the ball came rocketing off the high right bank and down the hill he pulled the flag when it was about 20ft away and said; "you got it!!" The ball went into the hole like a freight train and if it hadn't I would've been pulling some kind of wedge from well off the front of the green.

Friar's has a number of greens sort of like that I think!

TEPaul -
Hell of a putt!  Hopefully, we can play FH together one day.  By the way, nothing but 3-putts for me on #7 so far...

All good things to you.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

Mike_Cirba

Re: Will we ever see Maxwellian greens again?
« Reply #26 on: August 08, 2002, 12:27:55 PM »
Tom Paul;

If Friar's Head has "a number of greens like that" (i.e the 2nd hole at Pine Valley), I can't begin to imagine.  

Why, I'd never seen a green like that before, and to hear that C&C have built similar greens to the Maxwell style is VERY encouraging news indeed!!  ;D

Also;

I'd really like to hear someone come on and speak with some authority on the question of whether Maxwellian greens are possible on a USGA prescribed green.  Similiarly, I'd like to hear more about Corey's question that discusses how the surrounds are effectively integrated in, or whether that is not practical/feasible/cost-effective using the USGA specified methods.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:08 PM by -1 »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back