News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

T_MacWood

Re: Cape Cod and Martha's Vineyard golf
« Reply #25 on: May 26, 2003, 06:31:48 AM »
Tiger
I concure with what the others have said: Eastward Ho!, Hyannisport, Oyster Harbors, Kittansett and Sankaty Head are excellent. I sometimes wonder how EH! would be percieved if it were on LI. I've heard some good reports on Cape Cod National. The quirky Highlands in Truro and Little Marion are a blast. I agree with Rich that Woods Hole is underrated...and the village is very cool, IMO just behind Chatham and ahead of Wellfleet on the Cape.

Lou
Although the CC is known as a liberal bastion...there are pockets of conservatives. A while back I was trying to get on Oyster Harbors and had read that old Joe Kennedy (the family patriarch) had been a member. So I asked my Brother-in-law, who lives in DC and is involved in politics, if he could help. He called then congressman young Joe Kennedy to see if he could get me on. He laughed at my Bro-in-law...he asked if he was kidding - he couldn't even get on. Evidently when he was a boy, he and some of his cousins road their bikes over to the gated island where the club is located...they wanted to caddy. They were told in not so weak language to get lost...their kind were not welcome.

I later did get on and it was as blueblood as they come. I also learned from the experience that old Joe Kennedy was beyond any political tag...liberals and conservatives all like a drink.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:05 PM by -1 »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #26 on: May 26, 2003, 07:58:29 AM »
Tom,

Taxachusetts, as it has been known since my days at OSU, may very well have a few scattered, largely silenced conservatives.  But I suspect that Tiger's visit has more to do with strategy sessions on mining existing veins of wealth than in creating new ones.  Of course, I could be strictly out to lunch, and he is there for some R & R, to further his education in classical golf architecture, or simply to expand his southern conciousness.

My last visit to Provincetown (sp) some 20 years ago was enough for a life time.  With my then girlfriend on my arm, I thought that she was getting compliments (jeers) from a number of guys as we were walking around.  While I enjoyed this for a short time, to my horror she informed me that it was I that was the focus of their attention and rather lurid remarks.  Needless to say, male bonding of this type is beyond my ability to comprehend.
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:00 PM by 1056376800 »

John_D._Bernhardt

« Reply #27 on: May 26, 2003, 08:15:29 PM »
I would like to thank all of you again for your suggestions, information as well as opportunities to play. I am the same guy as most of you know as Tiger Bernhardt. It seems the great guys at yabba felt one John Bernhardt was plenty and would not let me sigh on or register from my office computor as such, therefore a great name was born. Lou, you will be pleased to hear this trip is really part of a daddy/daughter trip. I am hurt that you might think just because a Lafayette girl went to this beautiful place and became the current Mrs. Kennedy, that i would try the same approach to gain wealth and fame. lol I am picking her up from a camp friend's home on the Cape and extending the trip a little. Naturally being the superior Dad I am, a little golf has been added to the trip agenda. I just wish there would be more time. Oh "lol" means laugh out loud according to informed cyber types.

Bill_McBride

« Reply #28 on: May 27, 2003, 10:23:36 AM »
John, don't you ever work?   ;D

ForkaB

« Reply #29 on: May 27, 2003, 10:29:14 AM »
Bill

Of course John doesn't work.  He''s a lawyer!

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #30 on: May 27, 2003, 10:42:30 AM »
That hurt guys. I mean that was partly from the land of Barristers too. I just got back to the office from a typical greens comm meeting at our club where our own Baxter Spann was making a presentation on long range planning presentation. Naturally, 5 or 6 of our better players still somehow were not getting it. Therefore life goes on, a little patchwork here and a little patchwork there and the course evolves without vision into the future......
« Last Edit: December 31, 1969, 07:00:05 PM by -1 »

Lou_Duran

« Reply #31 on: May 27, 2003, 11:30:22 AM »
Thanks for the clarification, Tiger.  The man's man is also a family man.  How touching!  And if a few rounds of golf and drinks get conveniently in the way, it's just good fortune.  I should have studied harder and taken the LSATs.  Life in Lafayette is good! LOL (in the well-meaning sense).  

Mike Hendren

« Reply #32 on: May 28, 2003, 06:07:50 AM »
I am almost wishing I miss the cut in our State Am the weekend before, so I can get up there earlier and play more great links golf.

JB,

Having partnered with you in the King's Putter, I encourage you to proceed with your plans for an early departure ;D

Regards,

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #33 on: May 28, 2003, 07:50:07 AM »
Mike I can see you watched the swing and the results to come to that conclusion. I concur with you, but sometimes you lift your game a bit when the opportunity to dust off the college guys comes around. The even bogie approach will not get far with that crowd. lol so, I am trying the ole even par approach. It is amazing what practice and no drinking does for ones game.

Mike Hendren

« Reply #34 on: May 28, 2003, 09:12:05 AM »
It is amazing what practice and no drinking does for ones game.

JB, now I am really worried about you.  Quite frankly, with a better partner at the KP, you would have waxed Shivas and Huckster at Pasa.

Your favorite Vol,

Mike
Two Corinthians walk into a bar ....

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2003, 11:43:14 AM »
Mike, I thought you were a great partner. btw Please make sure Va tech does not get in the SEC. I wish we were making a pass at Miami now. they wanted to come to the SEC 10 years ago. I am afraid Arkansas is bailing to Big 12 if Missouri goes to the Big 10 or Colorada goes to the Pac 10. The little red pigs are having trouble being competitive.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back