News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

W.H. Cosgrove

Pac NW Storm
« on: December 08, 2007, 03:22:19 PM »
http://www.astoriagolf.com/section.cfm?wSectionID=203

I have placed the link to Astoria Golf & country club to show how the course looked recently.

Last Sunday and Monday a series of storms slammed intot he Pacific Northwest with the worst damage between Lincoln City, OR and Long Beach Washington.  The extreme wind and heavy rains caused the Chehalis river in Washington to rise 30 feet in a very short time closing a twenty mile stretch of I-5 for four days.  

In Bremerton Washington over 10 inches of rain fell in a twenty four hour period causing havoc on local rivers, multiple landslides and snarling traffic for hours.  

Astoria experienced a 46 minute period where sustained winds blew over 120 MPH.  In the twenty four hour period sustained winds were over 60 MPH.  

I had hoped to get down to Astoria today to substantiate reports that the Golf & Country Club had 80% of there trees down or uprooted and the remaining 20% serverely damaged.

Anyone been down to the coast in the last few days?  It would also be interesting to hear how Salishan weathered the big winds.  

http://movies.dailyastorian.biz/storm07c/

« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 03:23:51 PM by W.H. Cosgrove »

Norbert P

Re:Pac NW Storm
« Reply #1 on: December 08, 2007, 03:38:05 PM »
 Bill, a friend with a cabin in Seaside reported that Gearhart lost many Shore Pines. He didn't have much of a golf report as the main story from him was of hugging and guy wiring his chimney during the storm.  The chimney came down but he lived to tell the tale.  It started out something like . . . "The skies were angry that day!"
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Adam Clayman

« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2007, 03:48:11 PM »
Cos, I saw a clip on the news during the 129 mph winds. It looked like it was shot at Pac Dunes, but who could tell? Hope all is well.

We're getting it now, but nowhere near that extreme.

I'll be curious to know how this La Nina effects the GB&I. If any of you across the pond care to categorize your weather for me during the course of this winter,(as it progresses) I'd appreciate it.
"It's unbelievable how much you don't know about the game you've been playing your whole life." - Mickey Mantle

Matthew Hunt

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2007, 03:59:16 PM »
Very Wet at the moment in Ireland!

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2007, 04:28:16 PM »
Bill, a friend with a cabin in Seaside reported that Gearhart lost many Shore Pines. He didn't have much of a golf report as the main story from him was of hugging and guy wiring his chimney during the storm.  The chimney came down but he lived to tell the tale.  It started out something like . . . "The skies were angry that day!"

The golf courses are certainly an after thought when so many lost so much.  Hadn't thought about Gearhart, but they too must have lost a bunch of trees.

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2007, 04:29:57 PM »
The people working to clear storm damage on the highways could only compare the blown down trees to th Mt St Helens eruption.
The Thursday Oregonian had this article about the expanion of the tropics insinuating more frequent, stronger, wetter storms for the NW. It refers to a recent paper in Nature Geoscience http://www.nature.com/ngeo/journal/vaop/ncurrent/abs/ngeo.2007.38.html#abs

http://www.oregonlive.com/oregonian/stories/index.ssf?/base/news/11969133419330.xml&coll=7
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 04:30:24 PM by Pete_Pittock »

Jonathan Cummings

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2007, 05:02:43 PM »
Coz - what are the chances I could play Chambers this Wed?? (you are very invited to join me if available).  jc

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2007, 05:12:39 PM »
As of Now (Saturday Afternoon):  Weather to be partly cloudy high of 44.  Tee times are wide open.  I could play about noon.  Interestingly, they seem to have gone to 11 minute tee times.  I am sure in a effort to speed play.
« Last Edit: December 08, 2007, 05:15:50 PM by W.H. Cosgrove »

Norbert P

« Reply #8 on: December 17, 2007, 09:58:57 PM »
I know it's old news but I was just wondering if there are any specifics of golf course destruction that can be reported. I've heard that Bandon Crossings lost at least 30 trees.  Also that it was a spooky night at the Bandon Dunes Resort as folks could hear trees snapping all through the night in the storm.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Bill_McBride

« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2007, 10:29:18 PM »
Slag, this is wishful thinking, but were any of the giant Sequoias at Columbia Edgewater blown down?

scott_wood

« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2007, 11:01:09 PM »
i just returned today from 3 days @ Bandon....Bandon Crossing suffered more tree damage ( not severe, by any means) than the resort,though ..the Trails did lose several trees...drainage, as expected was not an issue at all at the resort but was somewhat @ BC, espcially the 2 low lying holes.....based on the drive to Portland airport,the damage was heavier further northup the coast...weather very nice, depsite poor forcasts...

after my third trip, based on the "theroretical 10 rounds" I now would do 4 @ Pacific, 3 @ BT and 3 @ BD..and when/if the resort was filied/ I was in really need of a cart, do BC......
cheers
« Last Edit: December 17, 2007, 11:03:30 PM by scott_wood »

Norbert P

« Reply #11 on: December 19, 2007, 12:14:22 PM »
Slag, this is wishful thinking, but were any of the giant Sequoias at Columbia Edgewater blown down?

Bill, no, but some more have been removed (right side fairway #13) and with the new green on #3 being built soon, there will be more removed down the right side of that fairway.

Scott, thanks for report. BTW, is the new green on #14 @ BTrails up and running? If so, how does it play and look?  

Bill, Is the Lone Fir at Chambers still standing?
« Last Edit: December 19, 2007, 12:15:11 PM by Slag Bandoon »

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back