News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Robert Mercer Deruntz

Lookout Mountain pictures
« on: December 06, 2007, 02:57:08 AM »
Most fascinating is how Raynor built this course on such a rugged, rocky, mountaintop site.  Also, this course may have the most severely sloped Raynor greens.  I had a GIR and a sandy bogey on the Eden.

herrstein

Re:Lookout Mountain pictures
« Reply #1 on: December 06, 2007, 01:05:06 PM »
Robert

Thanks for posting the pix.  I have never seen too many photos, but some folks on here praise the place quite a bit.  It does look a lovely spot for a course and I like the up & down nature of the routing.  Now, if they could fix those awful looking bunkers.  They are like a bunch of spots on a beautiful model.  They just seem to appear out of the landscape without rhyme or reason.

Ciao

It's hard to discern such things from 2-dimensional photos,
but rest assured that

The bunkers were placed both rhythmically
and with a rhyme,
for they were placed by the crew at Stein
In budget, on time, at the direction of Brian,
with Seth in mind
and plans in hand
great valleys of sand
were laid with love upon the land.

Kirk Stewart

« Reply #2 on: December 06, 2007, 01:15:11 PM »
Robert thanks for posting the pics. It is my understanding that Raynor did not build the course is that correct ? If so, who actually oversaw the constuction ?

Thanks

herrstein

« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2007, 01:23:09 PM »
Raynor died about 10 weeks after the plan date.He had a bunch of designs underway at the time, including Fisher's Island and Cypress Point among others. George Bahto can probably give you the full list, and verify or correct my understanding.
Raynor's man Balfour was on the site for construction. Charles Banks was also on the site sometime, as he gave a detailed interview about the project to American Golfer magazine.
I have so many anecdotes about the construction of LMGC that it would take weeks for me to post them. I don't know how many of them are true, of course.

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2007, 02:10:02 PM »
Robert,

Thanks for posting the pics...they are really very intriguing and the course looks like great fun.

I really need to get over there.   My in-laws-to-be live just a short haul down 75 and I'm hoping to visit next year.

JohnV

« Reply #5 on: December 06, 2007, 07:54:01 PM »
I have so many anecdotes about the construction of LMGC that it would take weeks for me to post them. I don't know how many of them are true, of course.

Doug,

Who cares if they are true, this isn't a book about the history of some golf match or the like, just post some of them.

Robert,
Your description of having a GIR and a bogey save from the bunker reminds of the phrase that Doug or one of the other folks at Lookout Mountain told me when I was there.  You "De-Greened" yourself. ;)

herrstein

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2007, 09:46:12 PM »
OK, here's one: the course labor was performed by Chinese men who lived in caves on the side of the mountain while the work was done.
There are in fact lots of caves on the side of Lookout mountain, and I witnessed, as a 7 year-old, a cave in which people were living,complete with electricity, not far from where I grew up (across from the 17th tee). That would have been 1963 or so. So there is some evidence that such an occurrence was possible, anyway.

Dunlop_White

« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2007, 10:08:18 PM »
Great photos, great land,and I love the rock outcroppings everywhere. And that one tee is awesome!

Ari Techner

« Reply #8 on: December 13, 2007, 11:07:25 PM »
Great pics!  

I just returned from Lookout Mountain myself.  We must have just missed each other.  I was lucky enough to spend 2 days there.  The first we played 48 holes with a cart in 45* and 20+ mph winds.  The second day we walked 18 holes and it was 80* and virtually no wind.  So we got to see the course in 2 totally different settings.  

IMO this is one of the true hidden gems in the USA.  Virtually nobody outside serious GCA junkies even knows this place exists.  One of my good friends who grew up less than 20 min away and is from a serious golfing family had never even heard of it.  It is also one of the most fun places for a round of golf that I have played anywhere.  If you are looking for true links conditions here in the states look no further.  The ground is hard and fast and the ball rolls out.  The course plays as it was designed to back in the 20s.  On most of the holes you can and in some cases need to play a run up shot.  Good luck holding the green on the Biarritz 4th if you land it on the green especially downwind.  Watching the ball land short of the swale and run up on the green was a joy.  Speaking of the greens they are FAST and pure.  Especially downhill or down mountain.  They may be the best greens I putted on all year including Oakmont.  There is just a ton of fun shots to play on this golf course and best of all the conditions allow and encourage you to do so.  Of all the Raynors I have played, this might not be the "best" but if I had to pick one to go play tomorrow with the typical conditions that the course would have I would goto Lookout Mountain and have myself one heck of a time.  

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back