News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Tommy Williamsen

Playing Fields New
« on: November 29, 2007, 01:57:54 PM »
What other sport gives us such varied playing fields?  what other sport can have such devotees to each kind of playing field?

Four Streams near DC

Bull Bay in Wales

Musgrove Mill

Pradera in CO

Black Rock in Idaho

Red Sky Ranch in CO

Bayonne in NJ

Circling Rave in Idaho

Delamere Forest in England

Golf for "real" men.  Skiing may be another sport with such varied "playing fields.

Keystone Ranch

Royal North Devon

Royal County Down

There arre others.  But you get the idea.

« Last Edit: April 19, 2020, 12:11:43 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Andy Troeger

Re:Playing Fields
« Reply #1 on: November 29, 2007, 02:12:42 PM »
Tommy,
Thanks for posting, although I wish you'd have pictured a different hole at Pradera, I think I 4-putted from about where the golfer is in that photo to a similar pin! It was not my most shining moment. Good golf course though!

Jeff_Mingay

« Reply #2 on: November 29, 2007, 02:32:39 PM »
I wrote on this subject in one of Paul Daley's Golf Architecture series volumes (I think it might have been volume 3).

The remarkable variety of golf courses throughout the world is indeed one of golf's grand attractions. And, this fact supports the position of restorationists.

In other words, preservation and "restoration" of (quality) original golf course designs is extremely important in regard to maintaining this wonderful diversity of courses throughout the world.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 02:33:23 PM by Jeff_Mingay »
jeffmingay.com

Garland Bayley

« Reply #3 on: November 29, 2007, 02:56:46 PM »
How many sports besides golf and skiing have resorts that try to attract you there by the individuality of their "playing fields?"
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #4 on: November 29, 2007, 03:00:21 PM »
How many sports besides golf and skiing have resorts that try to attract you there by the individuality of their "playing fields?"

Hiking / trekking / cross-country running
Mountain climbing / rock climbing
surfing
skateboarding

Hey, you asked.  This is a very cool aspect of golf... but it is not really all that unique in this respect.

TH

Rich Goodale

« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2007, 03:04:16 PM »
Tell us about some of them skateboarding resorts, dude.

Tom Huckaby

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2007, 03:09:50 PM »

OK, so this was stretching it.  There are no skateboarding resorts - YET.

But there damn sure are skateparks throughout the great state of California... and they cooler they are, the more the dudes flock to them to shred.

I foresee skate park resorts in the future, oh yes I do.

In fact I think I ought to build one.

TH

Garland Bayley

« Reply #7 on: November 29, 2007, 03:14:57 PM »

A buddy of mine brought his son to visit. The son's express purpose of wanting to come along was to see the skateboarding "resort" that had been built by the skateboarders themselves and achieved national recognition.

Gotta agree with Tom on this one. It's gonna happen.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

SL_Solow

« Reply #8 on: November 29, 2007, 03:29:08 PM »
Extremely limited market; how many skateboarders will continue much beyond their teen years given injury etc?  Note that most of the examples outside golf use natural terrain as the "playing field".  The only building is done in regard to the amenities.  Golf courses are placed on the land but require change (at least in modern form) to create teeing grounds and greens at minimum.  Thus to a very real extent, they are unique and certainly different than other games with formalized boundaries such as tennis or the numerous team sports.  Lacrosse in its early Native American incarnation, was said to be played over natural terrain.  Now it has been placed on a standardized field.

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #9 on: November 29, 2007, 03:35:51 PM »
Tommy,
Thanks for posting, although I wish you'd have pictured a different hole at Pradera, I think I 4-putted from about where the golfer is in that photo to a similar pin! It was not my most shining moment. Good golf course though!

That is one of the most severe greens I have seen.  The only one that may be close is on, I think, 17 at Pradera.  I played the back tee and hit it on the left side of the green.  The pin on on the bottom right.   I did two putt, however.  Putt, chip, putt.
« Last Edit: November 29, 2007, 03:36:46 PM by Tommy Williamsen »
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #10 on: November 29, 2007, 03:39:38 PM »
I wrote on this subject in one of Paul Daley's Golf Architecture series volumes (I think it might have been volume 3).

The remarkable variety of golf courses throughout the world is indeed one of golf's grand attractions. And, this fact supports the position of restorationists.

In other words, preservation and "restoration" of (quality) original golf course designs is extremely important in regard to maintaining this wonderful diversity of courses throughout the world.

Good point.  I hadn't thought of that.
St. John of the Cross

Andy Troeger

« Reply #11 on: November 29, 2007, 09:47:07 PM »
Tommy,

That is one of the most severe greens I have seen.  The only one that may be close is on, I think, 17 at Pradera.  I played the back tee and hit it on the left side of the green.  The pin on on the bottom right.   I did two putt, however.  Putt, chip, putt.

Its very severe, more so than the 5th at Redlands Mesa which is a similar green. I have to wonder if they aren't at least borrowed as a theme from #16 at Pasatiempo's green. The original probably has a little more interest to it, but all three greens are a blast to play. I do think Jim Engh builds some really interesting greens, with the set at Pradera maybe the best of his courses that I've seen. Lakota is more interesting tee to green but the greens are a bit redundant, lots of bowl shapes.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back