News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

kconway

Dooks
« on: November 24, 2007, 02:57:09 PM »
I have passed by, but never played Dooks.

Should I stop there next time I am in Kerry?

Doug Wright

Re:Dooks
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2007, 03:33:51 PM »
Kelly,

In my opinion, definitely. Although the course has undergone some changes in recent years (I reprised a thread asking about the changes to Dooks a couple weeks ago but got no replies), I doubt the character of Dooks has been changed. It's a short, quirky, scenic course with some pedestrian holes and a number of really fun holes. It's a course that I still remember fondly many years later, similar to my feelings about The Island and, more recently, Boat of Garten and Brora. We played Dooks the same day we played "The Mighty Waterville Links," and Dooks was quite a bit the better overall experience.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2007, 03:34:13 PM by Doug Wright »
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Mike Leveille

« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2007, 03:34:16 PM »
Kelly:

I would highly recommend a stop at Dooks GC.  The golf course is a very enjoyable links course.  Not a great course, but certainly worth playing if you are in the area.  The course was recently renovated, for the most part for the best (I still miss the absurdly contoured but fun green on the old par three on the back nine - 13, I believe).  Plus, with views of the Ring of Kerry, the Dingle Peninsula, and the sand dunes at the beach at Inch, there are few more scenic spots to play golf.  Throw in a nice bar in the clubhouse where you are likely to meet local members rather than caravans of touring golfers, and a day at Dooks is a real treat.

Mike Leveill  

Doug Wright

« Reply #3 on: November 24, 2007, 03:36:26 PM »
Mike,

Is the par 3 13th green gone? That would be a shame as it was one of the weirdest, most fun greens extant.
Twitter: @Deneuchre

Greg Krueger

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2007, 03:45:45 PM »
I would recommend Dooks as a solid second tier course. Some
super views and a good amount of solid holes. While it does
not compare with Ballybunion or Lahinch, it is worth it if you
are in close proximity.

Mike Leveille

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2007, 03:53:12 PM »
Doug:

I believe the 13th green is still in the same place it has always been, but when I played there in 2007 the green no longer had the wild contours I remembered from the old green.  There is nothing wrong with the new green, and in fact it may be "better" than the old one in some respects (more pinnable positions, "fairer"), but it is just not as interesting or memorable as the old green.

Mike

J_ Crisham

« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2007, 04:03:44 PM »
Dooks is amust play when in Kerry. Itis cheap by comparison and agreat warmup for Tralee or Waterville. They are also very engaging and enjoyable to visit with. They also have perhaps the most unusual logo-that being the rare froglike reptile known as the notterjack true story! Enjoy!

Bart Bradley

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2007, 04:13:11 PM »
Posted these pics on another Dooks thread but, what the heck...My son and I enjoyed the Dooks, but understand it is not one of the elite courses in Ireland.  Solid, fun, but not spectacular.  Enjoy Ireland....it is awesome.

Bart

J_ Crisham

« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2007, 04:27:19 PM »
Bart, nice picture of the notterjack!

Dan Boerger

« Reply #9 on: November 25, 2007, 07:44:16 AM »
Dooks is a very interesting course and I would play it if possible. As was stated here, you will get a more local flavor of things.
"Man should practice moderation in all things, including moderation."  Mark Twain

Norbert P

« Reply #10 on: December 06, 2007, 09:55:46 PM »
Dooks motto : "Per ardua ad astra"
  (Through hard work to the stars.)

From the book "Links of Heaven" by Phinney and Whitley . . .

"Strapped for cash, the members decided to (expand to 18 holes) themselves. A committee of nine was struck and each committee member was given the responsibility for designing one hole!
   In any other place, this would surely be a recipe for disaster, but at Dooks, believe it or not, it has been a great success."

" . . . The course remains a work in progress (after the success of the do-it-yourself expansion, everyone considers themself an architect!) and each successive captain seems compelled to leave his own mark on the links."

The Natterjack Toad . . .

The Natterjack Toad.

« Last Edit: December 06, 2007, 09:57:11 PM by Slag Bandoon »
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Norbert P

« Reply #11 on: December 06, 2007, 10:00:54 PM »
Kelly:

I would highly recommend a stop at Dooks GC.  The golf course is a very enjoyable links course.  
 . . . Throw in a nice bar in the clubhouse where you are likely to meet local members rather than caravans of touring golfers, and a day at Dooks is a real treat.

Mike Leveill  

Appreciable sentiments.
"Golf is only meant to be a small part of one’s life, centering around health, relaxation and having fun with friends/family." R"C"M

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #12 on: December 06, 2007, 10:18:21 PM »
Dooks is a great place to spend an afternoon.  I actually like it better than Waterville, which I think is way overrated.  Play with a member and sit in the clubhouse for a drink a you will receive a warm welcome. Dooks has an interesting history.  For years it was only nine holes.  Then members designed nine more and now the course has been upgraded again.  Have fun and don't forget t explore the area.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

kconway

« Reply #13 on: December 08, 2007, 01:15:07 PM »
Tommy,

I thought Waterville was overrated also...what about it dissapointed you?

Kelly Conway

Tiger_Bernhardt

« Reply #14 on: December 08, 2007, 11:12:19 PM »
I have been bye Dooks twice and both times the greens were  4 to 5ish. The days were shakey(raining) so I left each time after a hole very disappointed in the poor poor conditioning. Has that improved?

J_ Crisham

« Reply #15 on: December 09, 2007, 08:51:38 AM »
Waterville has quite a few uninspired holes most notably the 9th which has a manmade swamp. The only swamp I've seen on a links course. Plus a few holes that just go back and forth. Obviously the USA connection has kept it on the must play rota.The other complaints I have are the fact that its always a gale force wind blowing not the typical ever present breeze. The coastal road out to Waterville is always a real bitch to drive with  ever present big tour buses. I always stay in Killarney and commute so I guess its by choice. So many other great less expensive tracks to play. Carne is one that will leave you with a lifetime of fun memories but it is halfway to New York!

Tommy Williamsen

« Reply #16 on: December 14, 2007, 05:03:22 AM »
Tommy,

I thought Waterville was overrated also...what about it dissapointed you?

Kelly Conway

I thought much of the front nine was over some featureless land and were just a long slog,  I also think they put the wrong grass in for a links course. the course really wasn't very firm, so you had to play the air game.
Where there is no love, put love; there you will find love.
St. John of the Cross

"Deep within your soul-space is a magnificent cathedral where you are sweet beyond telling." Rumi

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back