News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

Michael Dugger

D M Kidd's Tetherow in Bend, OR....Now with images!!!!
« on: November 20, 2007, 07:38:17 PM »
Some sweet new pictures up on his website....

« Last Edit: August 13, 2008, 12:10:18 PM by Michael Dugger »
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

David Stamm

Re:D M Kidd's Tetherow in Bend, OR
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2007, 08:20:59 PM »
WOW!!! The hole in the second photo is so unique!!! Is this public or private? Is it open yet?
"The object of golf architecture is to give an intelligent purpose to the striking of a golf ball."- Max Behr

Joe Bausch

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2007, 08:27:15 PM »
Seems private and I don't think open yet:

http://www.idealdestinations.com/oregon/tetherow
@jwbausch (for new photo albums)
The site for the Cobb's Creek project:  https://cobbscreek.org/
Nearly all Delaware Valley golf courses in photo albums: Bausch Collection

Pete_Pittock

« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2007, 09:23:17 PM »
Pretty sure it opens next summer and resort guests have access to the course, according to the website.

Brad Swanson

« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2007, 09:45:38 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Michael, the course looks promising.  One question, do you think the steep, bare sand dunes seen in the 2nd picture are likely to remain unchanged over time, or will they be prone to erosion under windy conditions?

Cheers,
Brad
« Last Edit: November 20, 2007, 09:45:56 PM by Brad Swanson »

Jeff Doerr

« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2007, 11:22:48 PM »
It looks like another winner for Central Oregon. Great photography!

The map indicated on the DMK website indicates a lot of house lots. I'm hoping they are very careful to preserve the ruggedness and view seen so far.

From the pictures it looks like a unique offering for Central Oregon. It has some of the Pronghorn look, but a differing feel and use of the waste areas. I look forward to getting there next year.
"And so," (concluded the Oldest Member), "you see that golf can be of
the greatest practical assistance to a man in Life's struggle.”

Scott_Burroughs

« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2007, 11:44:45 PM »
I posted those same 2 pics of the par 3 a few weeks ago,
was surprised at the time that no one talked about it.  
Thought they looked pretty intriguing.  Bend is a golf
destination now, with more on the way (Doak, C&C, besides Kidd).

Tim Bert

« Reply #7 on: November 21, 2007, 12:01:28 AM »
The scorecard, while it may still be preliminary, has a rather large gap between 6760 yards and 6000 yards.  Three tees in the 6700-7500 range and then none until 6000 seems odd.  Is Bend elevated enough to provide some additional distance?

The pictures are outstanding, but I hate to see all those house lots on the course routing.  Hopefully they won't impact play, but they will certainly make obtaining those scenic photos more difficult.

Could placing homes on golf courses be the solution to the concerns expressed on this site when it comes to taking photos during a round?  Nothing makes me put my camera in the bag faster than the inability to get a picture without a house in it.

Jeff_Brauer

« Reply #8 on: November 21, 2007, 08:30:52 AM »
There seems to be a different philosophy of greens contouring from TD, that's for sure! Instead of the "random internal contours" TD is famous for, DMK seems to favor "tilted planes", at least from those four photos.

It appears the greens have some steep, but fairly constant slopes occaisionally broken by a large ridge but sometimes, just intersecting another tilted plane (going another direction)

I find this interesting, since I just picked up the book "The seventh at St. Andrews" but haven't gotten even through the selection process chapters. I will this weekend, unless Richard Mandell's Pinehurst Book jumps ahead of it in line......
Jeff Brauer, ASGCA Director of Outreach

Mike Erdmann

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2007, 08:35:13 AM »
Tim,

Yes, Bend is close to 4,000 feet in elevation, so the course is going to play somewhat shorter than the yardage on the card.

W.H. Cosgrove

« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2007, 09:38:13 AM »
Nice Photos!  What is the status of the Doak, & Crenshaw Coore designs in the Bend Area?  

These along with Sunriver, Broken Top and the Pronghorn courses have to make Bend one of the interesting golf destinations in the country over the next few years!

Kalen Braley

« Reply #11 on: November 21, 2007, 09:59:38 AM »
And throw in the fact that Bandon is only a couple of hours down the road and one could have quite a lengthy stay in Oregon.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2007, 12:24:59 PM »
Love that first picture.
Did any of your pictures of the Fazio course show how well the course mimics the surroundings like that first picture here does?
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Michael Dugger

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2007, 12:29:59 PM »
Thanks for the pictures Michael, the course looks promising.  One question, do you think the steep, bare sand dunes seen in the 2nd picture are likely to remain unchanged over time, or will they be prone to erosion under windy conditions?

Cheers,
Brad

The surrounds of Bend are high desert and not so much sand dunes.  I suspect the integrity of the land will remain intact.  I think what we are seeing here is more hardpan type stuff.
What does it matter if the poor player can putt all the way from tee to green, provided that he has to zigzag so frequently that he takes six or seven putts to reach it?     --Alistair Mackenzie--

Michael Dugger

« Reply #14 on: November 21, 2007, 12:35:17 PM »
Love that first picture.
Did any of your pictures of the Fazio course show how well the course mimics the surroundings like that first picture here does?

Garland....you tell me?  I think so.

Michael Dugger

« Reply #15 on: November 21, 2007, 12:40:18 PM »
Nice Photos!  What is the status of the Doak, & Crenshaw Coore designs in the Bend Area?  

These along with Sunriver, Broken Top and the Pronghorn courses have to make Bend one of the interesting golf destinations in the country over the next few years!

Bill

I assume Wicked Pony is moving along swimmingly.  These images are viewable from the Remington Ranch website.  You can see green grass!

go here to see more....

http://www.remingtonranch.com/construction.html  

No word on the C & C course, nothing appears to be happening in the immediate future....

Garland Bayley

« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2007, 12:41:08 PM »
Of course, it is hard to tell from pictures, but the Fazio pics look too leveled, too flat. It is easy to mimic with a par 3 where you can just let the land lay between tee and green. However, from the Kidd pictures, which I recognize are just a small sample, it looks like the features of the land are allowed to crop up in the course more naturally.
"I enjoy a course where the challenges are contained WITHIN it, and recovery is part of the game  not a course where the challenge is to stay ON it." Jeff Warne

Tom_Doak

« Reply #17 on: November 21, 2007, 12:48:11 PM »
Most of the front nine at Wicked Pony was planted in August and September, those are the pictures you're seeing.  They've slowed the construction to a crawl for the winter months ... most of the back nine is shaped, but we can't plant anything more until April or May so there's no hurry.

Incidentally, it's not a two-hour drive to Bandon as someone said above.  More like four hours I think.

PThomas

« Reply #18 on: November 21, 2007, 01:37:22 PM »
Most of the front nine at Wicked Pony was planted in August and September, those are the pictures you're seeing.  They've slowed the construction to a crawl for the winter months ... most of the back nine is shaped, but we can't plant anything more until April or May so there's no hurry.

Incidentally, it's not a two-hour drive to Bandon as someone said above.  More like four hours I think.

actually its about 5 hours..265 miles from Bend to Bandon, most of which is NOT interstate highway driving
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Michael Dugger

« Reply #19 on: November 21, 2007, 01:51:05 PM »
Of course, it is hard to tell from pictures, but the Fazio pics look too leveled, too flat. It is easy to mimic with a par 3 where you can just let the land lay between tee and green. However, from the Kidd pictures, which I recognize are just a small sample, it looks like the features of the land are allowed to crop up in the course more naturally.

Garland,

I am not sure I understand you entirely here.  Are you saying the Pronghorn Faz stuff does not look as au natural as the Tetherow Kidd stuff?

PThomas

« Reply #20 on: November 21, 2007, 01:55:53 PM »
i thought the greens at the Fazio course were quite severe/VERY challenging to putt
197 played, only 3 to go!!

Sean_A

« Reply #21 on: November 21, 2007, 02:00:46 PM »
Are there anymore pix of Tetherow?  The photos look very enticing, especially the 4th pic.  On the par 3, is that wee area up front pinnable?

Ciao
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 02:01:35 PM by Sean Arble »
New plays planned for 2024: Fraserburgh, Hankley Common, Ashridge, Gog Magog Old & Cruden Bay St Olaf

Michael Dugger

« Reply #22 on: November 21, 2007, 02:10:48 PM »
i thought the greens at the Fazio course were quite severe/VERY challenging to putt

I concur.  My host said they were slower than usual when I played it, but they were some of the niced greens I've ever putted.  True as could be, zero grain.

There is a good deal of movement all over the place on the Fazio course, despite what the pictures may protray.

tlavin

« Reply #23 on: November 21, 2007, 02:19:48 PM »

There's no doubting this conclusion.  The Oregon high desert is a spectacular destination for people looking for golf and other recreation.  I went there about ten years ago and fell in love with the place.  Of course, I didn't invest.  From what I'm told the real estate is through the proverbial roof.

Garland Bayley

« Reply #24 on: November 21, 2007, 03:27:10 PM »

Garland,

I am not sure I understand you entirely here.  Are you saying the Pronghorn Faz stuff does not look as au natural as the Tetherow Kidd stuff?

With the caveat that it may be just the photographer choosing the best angles, that is what I am saying.

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back