News:

This discussion group is best enjoyed using Google Chrome, Firefox or Safari.

TEPaul

Re:Where is the best place to read the largest amount of writing by Max Behr?
« Reply #50 on: November 21, 2007, 07:52:41 AM »
Those photos of Behr's RSFGC look OK but perhaps I was born too late.

Phil_the_Author

« Reply #51 on: November 21, 2007, 08:07:21 AM »
Jay,

Down in Port St. Lucie in Florida go to the Otto Probst Library. It is part of the Museum of the PGA of America. They have a more complete and extensive collection of the early golf magazines than the USGA as well as course histories from almost every one of the courses that published them bfore 1970 and may, if not most, since then. They also have a quite extensive book collection.

The basis for the library was the collection from the estate of Otto probst, purchased in the late 1970's. Probst was long considered to have had the most inclusive and complete personal library of any and everything golf in the world for many years before he died.

It is only there that one can see the only copy of the last issue of Golf Illustrated (September 1935) from with Tilly's own handwritten message in pencil on the front cover that says, "This issue never circulated. I resigned as editor last month."

The best thing about researching there is you will be able to have full hands-on with the materials and the ability to MAKE COPIES!  :o

If you're interested in going down let me know and I'll let you know who to contact.

Jay Flemma

« Reply #52 on: November 21, 2007, 08:17:44 AM »
I'd love to thanks!  I go to Port St. Lucie alot to play the Dye course, so that would be a nice side trip.  Contact me at my yahoo, email please.  I'd love to talk to you about that and about Philly as well.  Thanks.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #53 on: November 21, 2007, 09:00:53 AM »
Dan:

Hopefully some day you can free yourself from the mind-numbing strictures of editorism and find a way to proceed to the sunlit uplands of golf architecture nirvana.

Ain't gonna, McGee!

Even if I could work up the energy to hack through the thickets of his sentences, I could not *begin* to take golf seriously enough to enjoy Mr. Behr's allegedly sunlit uplands.

I'm just never gonna connect with a guy who could write that "the pleasure in the game of golf lies largely in the practice of self restraint" (whatever the hell he meant by that!).

« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 09:03:12 AM by Dan Kelly »
"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

TEPaul

« Reply #54 on: November 21, 2007, 10:01:27 AM »
"I'm just never gonna connect with a guy who could write that "the pleasure in the game of golf lies largely in the practice of self restraint" (whatever the hell he meant by that!)."

Dan:

That's too bad but suit yourself.

Lloyd_Cole

« Reply #55 on: November 21, 2007, 10:03:24 AM »
"The pleasure in the game of golf lies largely in the practice of self restraint. It is a battle against the weak side of human nature."

OH MY GOD!

(Dare I ask what he thought the 'weak side of human nature' was?)

Tantric Golf anyone?

Steve Lang

« Reply #56 on: November 21, 2007, 11:45:38 AM »
 8)  Tantric soccer too?  Definitley not very american!

i immediately downloaded the LA84 collection.. and will get to probst library in Port St.Lucie some day... that's what makes this site so great, who would have known these west & east coast resources..?

frankly, its the language of Behr that either one loves or hates..  some .. too much the queen's type english, they'd rather the king's.. or give em some rock&roll emotion and bad grammar.. gonzo style..

one has to suspect such carefully crafted words..
Inverness (Toledo, OH) cathedral clock inscription: "God measures men by what they are. Not what they in wealth possess.  That vibrant message chimes afar.
The voice of Inverness"

RJ_Daley

« Reply #57 on: November 21, 2007, 12:26:09 PM »
Well, maybe it is because I have no formal training in the writing arts, can't diagram a sentence, and don't read Shakespeare, but I am stumped at what Dan finds clumsey or ill written about that quote.

"The pleasure in the game of golf lies largely in the practice of self restraint. It is a battle against the weak side of human nature."

Now, perhaps it means different things to different people.  It does resonate with me, however.  So, I'll go first...  As I alluded to above, to me it means that one who pursues the game for pleasure, eventually finds a mindset that allows oneself to play in that pleasure zone.  Behr suggests that part of the mindset must be self restraint.  Or, playing within ones capabilities, and not over reaching.  Or, as he said, 'self restraint'.  The weak side of human nature to me is greed.  On the golf course, greed is going for too much on a shot, overreaching and more often than not coming up short and thus ruining what would have been a better result, had you not been greedy and overextended on a shot you thought you 'might' make in order to steal a stroke from what you probably would have made with a self-restrained strategy.  Reaching for the improbably, possible, have done it before, but at the far greater risk of bogey or double+ is probably my ruination.  

What about your interpretations?  Particularly yours, Dan.

Discalimer:  All gramatical considerations in the above post were omitted due to errors, omissions, and lack of a quality educational effort, when author attended school.  ::) ;) ;D

No actual golf rounds were ruined or delayed, nor golf rules broken, in the taking of any photographs that may be displayed by the above forum user.

Dan Kelly

« Reply #58 on: November 21, 2007, 12:39:12 PM »
Dick --

That passage is more clearly written than most of the (little) Behr I've read. (There's NOTHING in that single line you've quoted that's clumsy or ill-written.)

Here's my point: I can't -- or at least won't -- take golf that seriously! I can't -- or at least won't -- take it as seriously as Behr did, or as seriously as you and many others here do! (No offense intended -- as I'm sure you already know.) I can't -- or at least won't -- devote the energy necessary to deconstruct Max Behr.

It's my anti-intellectual side coming out, I guess.

I propose the Behr Line, as one means of identifying two "types" in this Treehouse.

Some of you are on one side of the Behr Line. Some of us are on the other.

Of course the twain can meet, and often have, and always will -- happily so.

Dan

"There's no money in doing less." -- Joe Hancock, 11/25/2010
"Rankings are silly and subjective..." -- Tom Doak, 3/12/2016

Peter Pallotta

« Reply #59 on: November 21, 2007, 12:49:24 PM »
Good post, RJ

I think anger (unjustified) is also a good one. The line Arnold Palmer said to one of his angry/frustrated pro-am partners always stuck with me, i.e. "You're not good enough to get that angry".  I think we also need to (or are best served by) restraing our fear (at the demands of the next shot), our regrets (for the poor shot we just played), our pride (in our insistence at proving we're the better man, instead of playing our own game), our distracted minds (as in not being present to the present moment and its duties), and our self-pity (at how much better we'd be if we could only practice or if the bad back got better). I'd bet there are more examples...and the self-restraint more necessary and difficult in golf than in other sport because we're not reacting to anything or anyone else, and have plenty of time between shots for our less-helpful emotions to play out, or not. When Jack Nicklaus talks about his mind being one of his greatest strengths, maybe he meant something like that; I think Tiger is even better at it than Jack was. (I'm sure that one of Tiger's most secret weapons is that he does some kind of yoga).

Peter

JESII

« Reply #60 on: November 21, 2007, 05:28:48 PM »
"You're not good enough to get that mad"...

and...

he..."who pursues the game for pleasure, eventually finds a mindset that allows oneself to play in that pleasure zone"...

Are more interconnected than the two of you might think.

Jack Nicklaus had to enjoy himself to play well. Obviously his "well" is different than yours or mine. I think every tournament golfer would tell you that their best days begin in a relaxed, patient frame of mind.

Not quite greed, I read the "worst side of human nature" to mean overstating or overvaluing yourself. A lack of modesty. It probably plays out on the golf course similarly to greed, but might last longer. I say last longer because we all know immediately when we try a shot beyond our capabilities and get burned. But if we are not honest about our capabilities, it's not so clear why we failed and we're likely to get burned many times by the same situation...

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #61 on: November 21, 2007, 08:30:47 PM »
Probably in the bathroom.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2007, 10:17:30 PM by MPCirba »

JESII

« Reply #62 on: November 21, 2007, 10:27:16 PM »
Probably in the bathroom.

Definitely a part of it...

Mike_Cirba

« Reply #63 on: November 21, 2007, 10:50:02 PM »
Definitely a part of it...

Jim,

No slight to Behr intended, who I find quite fascinating.

It's just that if one is going to attempt the voluminous, verbose Mr. Behr, one best be prepared to spend some quiet, solitary time away from the real world.   ;D

Tags:
Tags:

An Error Has Occurred!

Call to undefined function theme_linktree()
Back